PDA

View Full Version : Help with RAM in an iMac G3

Zagreus
Jun 15, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone, really need everyone's help with my iMac G3, I was recently upgrading it and I replaced the 2 sticks of 128mb RAM with 2 stick of 512mb RAM to make 1GB. However then when I powered on the machine all I got was a beep, meaning that there is no RAM detected. I then replaced the 2 128mb sticks and the machine booted fine so is it possible the RAM could be bad, or just incompatible? I brought it from eBay and it was marketed as Low Density, Non-ECC and PC133 RAM which I thought would be compatible, I also replaced the hard drive and the PRAM battery but these were fine when I powered up the machine, help please?

Darth.Titan
Jun 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
Depending on exactly which G3 iMac you have you may be limited to 512 MB, or you may indeed have faulty RAM.

Zagreus
Jun 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Depending on exactly which G3 iMac you have you may be limited to 512 MB, or you may indeed have faulty RAM.

I don't think it's the RAM limit, having checked on Mactracker and on everymac.com it states the machine can handle 1GB of RAM, incidently my G3 is the 500mhz version.

Hrududu
Jun 15, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone, really need everyone's help with my iMac G3, I was recently upgrading it and I replaced the 2 sticks of 128mb RAM with 2 stick of 512mb RAM to make 1GB. However then when I powered on the machine all I got was a beep, meaning that there is no RAM detected. I then replaced the 2 128mb sticks and the machine booted fine so is it possible the RAM could be bad, or just incompatible? I brought it from eBay and it was marketed as Low Density, Non-ECC and PC133 RAM which I thought would be compatible, I also replaced the hard drive and the PRAM battery but these were fine when I powered up the machine, help please?
Just out of curiosity, who was the seller? I was looking at some cheap eBay PC133 RAM and if its from the same people, I'd like to avoid it now.

Zagreus
Jun 15, 2009, 10:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, who was the seller? I was looking at some cheap eBay PC133 RAM and if its from the same people, I'd like to avoid it now.

The original eBay sale is here: link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120428627160). I'm gonna complain to them and see what happens, in the mean time, anyone got any more ideas?

Zagreus
Jun 16, 2009, 12:49 AM
In an update, I managed to get the machine to boot with one of the 128mb sticks and a 512mb stick, but when I get to the About This Mac page and head to the Memory Section it only shows as having 128mb of Memory installed, is this more evidence the RAM is bad? I am going to run Memtest and see if it can pick up any flaws, but I still haven't heard back from the seller yet. I'll update when I have some more progress