Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danjast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hey guys, new to the mac world (after years and years on a pc), and I think i'm having a problem with the mba but i'm not too sure if it's a problem that can be fixed or not.

When doing classwork online I usually have only safari open with 3 tabs, one with homework assignments, other with a flash video of the assignment and the other maybe a forum or discussion room. It seems that after about 5 mins of playing the flash video my computers fans blow full at 6200, and then the video begins to jump along with weird other problems. My mouse tracer will start jumping around and the keyboard won't enter properly in text fields. Making it almost impossible for me to do my online classwork. I've went to the genius bar a few times and they ran the diagnostic by holding d when the computer reboots and they said there is no problem. I hope it's something defective with the mba since I can't see apple releasing an outdated product when my computer from 5 years ago doesn't have a problem doing these 3 tasks at the same time.

I also get this same problem after watching 15 minutes of flash videos on youtube, or hulu, but it gets really pathetic when i can't even watch a quick video on exciting calculus problems while doing my online classwork.

If it helps it's a 1.6ghz 80gig version A i'm assuming because i bought it about a year ago.

Thanks for any help

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Flash video fries revision A MacBook Airs, plain and simple. Even unibody MacBooks' fans apparently speed up when playing it. Your Air has much slower, previous generation (Merom) CPU, so video slows down other tasks as well. Apparently reapplying thermal paste and/or using CoolBook helps - it has been discussed many times and I think there are even tutorials available, search for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.