PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading PB Harddrive

alxths
May 17, 2004, 02:05 PM
I got a 12" pb w/ a 40 GB 4200 RPM drive back in september, and have been thinking about upgrading it to a larger 7200 RPM drive. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this already with their powerbooks, and if you noticed any significant heat and speed differences?

I'd IMAGINE that if it was that easy to stick a faster drive i nthe pbs, apple would already be doing so, so i'm a little wary about it...

Thanks

JOD8FY
May 17, 2004, 03:08 PM
You might want to rethink that idea. We would all love a 7200 RPM hard drive for our Powerbooks (that's why I bought an external one), but there is a catch. First off, 7200 RPM drives for notebooks only go up to 60 GB. Second, installing a new hard drive yourself WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Be careful about that. I have heard of people taking their computer to the Apple Store and having one of the techs install it for you. I suggest doing that if you really want a faster HD.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

alxths
May 17, 2004, 03:50 PM
Well my warranty will be void soon enough anyhow..

but that 60 GB cap is a bummer.. But if it DOES give me significant speed increases it could be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Ugh, people dont make the same mistake i did-- get a superdrive! It's DVD images that are taking up all of my precious gigabytes; being able to stick them on DVDs would make everything a lot easier for me/.

hotmaj
May 17, 2004, 05:32 PM
yes i voided my guarantee by installing the hitachi 7200 rpm hdd in my 12" pb it was quite simple just need to be carefull i did see a noticeable difference in speed faster startup times faster finder load times actually i would say 20-40% speed increase

alxths
May 17, 2004, 05:42 PM
Ahh, nice :).. how about heat and power consumption? Any marked differences there?