Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
I am looking to buy a macbook. I heard there was an issue with the plastic cracking or tearing. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, I am considering buying the macbook from apples certified used collection. I might get a black one. what would the mean 4 the hard drive or battery life?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I am looking to buy a macbook. I heard there was an issue with the plastic cracking or tearing. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, I am considering buying the macbook from apples certified used collection. I might get a black one. what would the mean 4 the hard drive or battery life?

Most likely you'd have a 250 gig hard drive. Not sure what your question about the battery life is. I have the last rev black, and the battery life is great. I usually get at least 5 hours per charge.

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Most likely you'd have a 250 gig hard drive. Not sure what your question about the battery life is. I have the last rev black, and the battery life is great. I usually get at least 5 hours per charge.

by battery life, i am assuming these refurbished machienes are used, so what would i expect from the battery, and also how much wear time would i expect on the hard drive? blackbooks have leopard, right?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Don't worry about the white MB's-I have had 3 over the years with no problems. The few that have occurred are fully backed up by Apple, even after the warranty period. Its so easy to replace the drives-just upgrade to a larger one if you are worried about it.

That new 2.13 MB is a steal.

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
i am worried about a failing hard drive. and i guess it is easier to replace that than the one in my powerbook. if i were to replace it, i should put in a ssd, right? also, thanks all for your advice.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
i am worried about a failing hard drive. and i guess it is easier to replace that than the one in my powerbook. if i were to replace it, i should put in a ssd, right? also, thanks all for your advice.

Replacing the HD is absurdly easy in the MBs. Any 2.5" SATA drive should be fine.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

There's a ton of threads about which hard drive to use. The wd scorpio blue 500 gig, wd scorpio black 320 gig and seagate momentus 7200.4 500 gig are usually the favorites, and usually have the best bang for the buck compared with an ssd.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Replacing a hard drive in a MacBook is the easiest thing you'll ever do on any laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.