PDA

View Full Version : 'Reliable' Web Hosting - Where to find it?

tjhilder
Jun 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
I need a new web host, my current one likes to hang for several minutes :rolleyes: most of the time.

Needs:

cheap/affordable
can host wordpress
PHP / MySQL Support (multiple DBs if at all possible, 2 at least)
Reasonable DL/UL rates when transfering via FTP.

thought I would see what the members of this forum have to say and make a choice based on user comments. :)

whatsgooddan
Jun 15, 2009, 03:21 PM
Just search, buddy.

angelwatt
Jun 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
See the stickies in this forum.

NathanCH
Jun 15, 2009, 09:54 PM
One thing I don't recommend doing is just searching "good web hosting" in google. Most sites that come up in these "top 10 web hosting" lists are paid spots. Furthermore, the reviews are often bought testimonials. Sites like 1and1, HostGator, and Dreamhost (which you often find these sites in top 10 lists) are overselling their resources which results in downtime and inaccurate reports of how much space you really have.

Finding a host can be very hard, and could take a few days. I hate recommending hosting companies because I feel like im advertising for them, and certainly the opinion of one person isn't sufficient enough for you to make a decision.

I'd say buy 1 month on some hosts and if you like what you see, keep them. Never jump-in with a full year payment.

lovesupreme
Jun 19, 2009, 02:09 PM
Well, I don't really like to advertise particular companies, but web hosting is one of those things where I feel I have found the best of the best, so I'd like to share.

ICD Soft (http://www.icdsoft.com) is the absolute best hosting I have come across. I work for a firm and we deal with a lot of different hosting companies, but the one we use and recommend is ICD Soft. They have a 99.9% up time rate, unlimited emails, super fast LAMP servers, and very affordable. And all the interfaces work and are fast! There are no guessing games.

But, you can get these things from many different companies if you search hard enough. The thing that sets these guys apart is their support. I have never had any company respond so quickly, and with relevant, no bs, completely educated information. These guys know their stuff and will help you with anything.

The first time I set up a Wordpress site, I set it up on a testing server and then migrated to go live. Couldn't get it to come up. It was some references in the database that I never would have thought to look for. Their support told me exactly what tables the references were in all within 5 minutes of when I asked. They have looked at my code, databases, and given me invaluable info on complex ecommerce setups. Plus, it's super secure.

There is no phone support, only email, but you do not miss it at all. It's actually better that way. I have asked some very complex question and the first response has always been the correct one, and I've never waited more than 5 minutes for an answer.

Plus, there are no stupid adds and crazy stuff to slow down your production time (like GoDaddy and Network Solutions).

Anyway, I've dealt with some crazy hosting companies that have been real nightmares and have killed production times trying to get an answer to simple questions. This place makes dealing with the backend stuff almost a joy.

Sorry for the long response, but I really like these guys.

Sir SpemzR
Jun 19, 2009, 04:06 PM
does anyone know of any web hosting u actually pay month to month
not all at one time?

rkdiddy
Jun 19, 2009, 06:57 PM
I use a company called EWD Hosting. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I actually have (6) sites hosted on them and when ever possible I try to convert those I work on sites for - to go with them as well.

For me it is nice to know if I need anything or have a server related question they're around to answer it.

:D