PDA

View Full Version : Tysons Corner, VA Apple Store

Zadillo
Jun 15, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sort of surprised there isn't a thread for this one.

So, anyone else planning on going to the Apple Store in Tyson's Corner, VA? If so, around what time are you planning on showing up. I'm sort of curious if there's going to be the same kinds of lines as there were for the 3G launch last year.

Stoneyman
Jun 16, 2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I'll be there. I lined up for the 1st gen at the AT&T store in Tyson's 2 years ago but the lines weren't bad there. I've heard that the mall won't let people in until 6am - can anyone confirm that?

Zadillo
Jun 16, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I'll be there. I lined up for the 1st gen at the AT&T store in Tyson's 2 years ago but the lines weren't bad there. I've heard that the mall won't let people in until 6am - can anyone confirm that?

That could be right..... I didn't line up for the 1st gen model, but I did for the 3G release....... I think I got there around 7 AM or so and there was already a huge line of people (out the door near the Bloomingdale's entrance). Actually, I think I ultimately gave up that time and just came back to the store later (where there was still a huge line and I think I ended up waiting 4 hours).

Sort of curious what it will be like this time - it seems hard to imagine there'd be quite such a long line this time around, but who knows.

-Zadillo

apbtlvr
Jun 16, 2009, 11:02 PM
I was under the impression that mall access opened at 7:am. Fairfax County schools let out the day day before so that could factor in turnout. But it is a morning release so maybe things won't be too bad. My real question is how many walk out of the store and over to the Bodyguardz kiosk right after. I'd planned to, but those guys may not even be open before 10:am.

Stoneyman
Jun 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm thinking I'll shoot for the 5am mark, which may be overkill but I dunno what to think... Where is the best door to "camp" at to get in?

....and another thing. I don't know what to make of this whole "reserved" phone thing. I know that it's not really reserved - it's still first come - but will that lure some into a false sense of security? Hmmmmm......could be...

Zadillo
Jun 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking I'll shoot for the 5am mark, which may be overkill but I dunno what to think... Where is the best door to "camp" at to get in?

....and another thing. I don't know what to make of this whole "reserved" phone thing. I know that it's not really reserved - it's still first come - but will that lure some into a false sense of security? Hmmmmm......could be...

That's certainly a possibility..... if anything the email that they send out after you placed your reservation basically implies as such:

"Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You can come to the store you selected anytime on the day of your reservation. "

If anything I'd read that and pretty much assume that meant you could come in anytime that day and expect to get one. So I imagine people might be thinking that.

I think the bigger thing might still be that general question; how many people will be inclined to line up this time around? I think plenty of 3G owners are not inclined to, either because of the cost of upgrading mid-contract (if I hadn't sold my 3G I wouldn't be upgrading til my contract is up), or just because they don't see it as a big enough upgrade.

MavsX
Jun 18, 2009, 09:30 AM
man if i was waiting inline for one of these badboys. I would go to an AT&T store like today..or tonight. That would be awesome. Good Luck.

ppilone
Jun 18, 2009, 09:33 AM
Not going to be waiting at the store - just excited to see my area mentioned :)

Cuschoolie1
Jun 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
Good luck to everyone waiting at Tysons. I waited at the AT&T store in Fairfax last year for the 3G launch. This year, I decided to just have it shipped to me. Make sure to snap some pictures of the lines and crowd!

fireshot91
Jun 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
Does anybody know of some small AT&T retailers in the Lorton/Woodbridge area?

Even Springfield, or Fairfax.

Zadillo
Jun 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
Well, just got back from the Tysons Corner Apple Store.

Got there around 6:20 AM..... the line wasn't too long this time around (the line for reservations essentially wrapped around to about the ZEN store across from the Apple Store). As a note, they also had a separate line this time for people who didn't have reservations, and it seems like once the store opened the alternated between letting people in from both lines. They had Apple Store employees checking to make sure everyone in the reservation line actually had reserved, and also handed out water, etc.

All in all, it went really smoothly - only took me about 20 minutes to actually get into the store, maybe another 10 of waiting in the store for someone to help me, and had the phone purchased and activated in about 5 minutes.

When I left the store around 7:40, the reservation line was about as long as it was when I got there at 6:20, so this definitely wasn't nearly as bad as the 3G launch (which makes sense, factoring in the higher cost this time around if you were upgrading from a 3G, not to mention the fact that you could have just had it shipped to you this time).

So now I'm back at home, restoring my iPhone 3G backup to my iPhone 3GS..... so far I'm pretty happy though. Haven't gotten to play with my own yet, but tried out some of the 3GS's in the store, and I don't think they were kidding about some of the speed improvements. Even on my own iPhone I was able to see a difference - it's not that the iPhone has been painfully slow, but just sluggish enough in various operations to be irritating....... stuff like Safari and navigating webpages all seem noticeably improved.

The big thing for me is the 32GB of storage, but the speed improvements and

I also briefly tried out google maps and the compass, and I really do dig the fact that google maps now is able to orient you to show you what direction you're pointing in (something which always did annoy me when I was walking around somewhere I didn't know, and sometimes had to walk a block to figure out I was heading in the wrong direction).

It's too early to tell, but I have the impression GPS acquisition might be improved too - before it used to take me a while to get a GPS lock, but this did it almost within seconds, and that was inside my house (where sometimes I used to not be able to get very accurate GPS locks).

Anyway, happy so far....:)

Anyone else have experiences to share from the Tysons Apple Store?

-Zadillo

Foxer
Jun 19, 2009, 08:28 AM
I opted to order online this year, rather than making the third annual line-up at Tysons. Glad to hear it was manageable. Did they give out lawn chairs again this year?

Zadillo
Jun 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
I opted to order online this year, rather than making the third annual line-up at Tysons. Glad to hear it was manageable. Did they give out lawn chairs again this year?

Not as far as I could tell (although I don't remember that from the 3G launch last year either).... although a couple of people brought their own.

-Zadillo

Clix Pix
Jun 19, 2009, 10:32 AM
I didn't queue up this year, either -- kind of miss the fun of doing that, though! I actually have not quite decided whether or not I'll just wait until December (when my eligibility for the full discounted price is available) or if I'll bite the bullet, plunk out the extra $200 and go ahead and get one now anyway. Yep, I've stlll got my Tysons folding chair, too -- that was really cool last year!

apbtlvr
Jun 19, 2009, 11:45 AM
I was there shorty after 7:am and waited around 45min in line. Damned if they didn't serve me coffee while waiting. That was a nice touch. I'm migrating from an unlocked HTC TyTN II (Kaiser). It was syncked to my MBP via missing Sync . So far, this set up has been a breeze and everything has synced up nicely. Not a fan boy, but I'm not missing WinMo 6.1 either. Got my wife a 3G last year so I knew what I was getting into. Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased overall.

evilyankeefan
Jun 20, 2009, 07:12 AM
I didn't queue up this year, either -- kind of miss the fun of doing that, though! I actually have not quite decided whether or not I'll just wait until December (when my eligibility for the full discounted price is available) or if I'll bite the bullet, plunk out the extra $200 and go ahead and get one now anyway. Yep, I've stlll got my Tysons folding chair, too -- that was really cool last year!

I'm with you and watching those videos on app loading times/performance is getting me very antsy. I might just stick with 16GB due to the extra $200. I need to go to the mall today, so I might just swing by and give in.

Clix Pix
Jun 8, 2010, 07:24 AM
What fun to re-read last year's comments! Well, last year I succumbed to the lure of the 3GS after all, and looks as though I will be spending some time in line again this year, too..... I really had intended to wait until November (when the contract expires) but after the announcement that anyone whose contract is up in 2010 can buy the new iPhone 4 at the subsidized rate NOW.....

I will definitely be reserving the iPhone for pick up at the Tysons Apple store but will be there on Launch Day, waiting in line for it...... :) I get a kick out of the waiting-in-line bit!

GC Jr
Jun 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Waited for 5 hours at the 3G launch, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be waiting this year :)

Small White Car
Jun 17, 2010, 09:53 PM
Waited for 5 hours at the 3G launch, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be waiting this year :)

Ugh. Don't remind me. THAT day was a mess and a half. It was the AT&T activations that messed everything up back then. They seemed to do better for the 3GS, I hope they'll get it figured out this year and account for the higher demand they saw with Tuesday's pre-orders.

I have reserved phones and I'm planning on showing up at Tyson's at 6 AM. I'm hoping that will get me back to my car by 9 AM, but we'll see!

Clix Pix
Jun 18, 2010, 07:54 AM
I've reserved my iPhone 4 and will be there at Tysons bright and early that morning! :)

shadowlinkJosh
Jun 18, 2010, 03:27 PM
i pre-ordered however i'll be coming to the mall to grab some cases and such (if they have them) for the new phones. probably in the morning before the crowd really rolls in. It's a workday, so maybe that will lighten the crowd? I have no clue, never been there on a launch day however I did show up to buy a couple 3GS about 1 week after they were released, had to stand outside for 2 hours but I got them.

GC Jr
Jun 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
Guys, I'm sort of nervous... haha

Apple just released news about how they received 600,000 orders on their first day of making pre-orders available... I was planning on waiting on line at around 12 am on the first day, so once the doors for the mall open at around 5 am I can run over and hopefully be one of the first twenty

but this is sort of extreme... Do you think there'll be a larger response from hardcore early adopters? Like Small White Car had reminded us, there had been server issues with the 3G launch which made the process slower than usual, and I don't know how it was for the 3GS...

I'm getting stressed out over a phone. :confused:

jwright0
Jun 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
I work across the street from the mall and when the 3G came out I ended up standing in line 4 hours 1 week after the release.

I think I might try to get there at 6am and hope they open the mall before 7. I'm hoping without the AT&T activation process the line might go quicker.

Lopes
Jun 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know what time the mall will open tomorrow for everyone to line up? If the store opens at 7 i may try and get one before work if I can get there early enough.

Clix Pix
Jun 23, 2010, 09:41 AM
I believe they will open at least one entrance to the mall at around 5:00 AM, as I have been there for other launches and was able to get in line inside the mall at around 5:30 or so......

Lopes
Jun 23, 2010, 09:50 AM
What entrance is that? The one by Chipotle?

Clix Pix
Jun 23, 2010, 10:05 AM
It's the one where when you walk in, you can walk straight ahead and then the Apple store is ahead, slightly to the right.....

Lopes
Jun 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
Oh okay, i know that one :) Thanks!

FragTek
Jun 23, 2010, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately I missed the pre-order online like a dumbass.....

I've had every other iPhone on launch day from this Apple store and hoping to keep that going.

I called them earlier and they said they will be opening the mall doors @ 5am and the store will open @ 7am.

I am going to try and be there by 4am waiting to get in to the mall. I am coming all the way from Fredericksburg so it's going to be an early morning for me!!!

*CROSSING FINGERS THAT THEY'LL HAVE A PHONE FOR ME!*

Small White Car
Jun 23, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'll be there at 6 AM. (For a pre-order.)

I'm just guessing I'll be able to get in...dunno.

If anyone goes earlier tomorrow please post here to let us know if you get in! I'll do the same at 6:00.

FragTek
Jun 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'll post a status report as soon as I get there in the morning to let everyone know how many people are already piling up.

Clix Pix
Jun 23, 2010, 10:33 AM
Specific directions:

International Drive > Right on Fletcher (leads into the Tysons Center area)

Left at the stop sign on the ring road

Bloomingdale's is on the right-hand side corner and Macy's is at the other corner

Park in Parking Terrace A and you will see the mall entrance there at ground level

Walk in, walk straight ahead and Apple Store will be straight ahead.....

See you guys tomorrow morning, bright and early!

Lopes
Jun 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
my preorder went fubar and got cancelled by apple yesterday, so I'm hoping (if i can wake up early enough) to get there around 5 and get through the line quickly at 7, and get to work by 9ish. Here's to hoping...

FragTek
Jun 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm cutting class on my overpriced education for this damn phone tomorrow, LOL.

Question: Are they going to keep people from being on the mall property before 5am or anything gaytarded like that?

Xiao Ali
Jun 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
Not so sure I want the white one anymore, looks like I'm going to be there around 6AM too.

Clix Pix
Jun 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think they will allow people on the property prior to 5:00 AM, but I am not certain about that, never having been there earlier than around 5:15 or so.

FragTek
Jun 23, 2010, 05:12 PM
I don't think they will allow people on the property prior to 5:00 AM, but I am not certain about that, never having been there earlier than around 5:15 or so.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I plan on being there by 4.....

FragTek
Jun 23, 2010, 07:45 PM
See y'all there tomorrow morning! I'm off to bed, alarm is scheduled to go off @ 3am.....

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 03:09 AM
I'm here and mall security has already tried to run me off once. 4:30 is apparently when people can start lining up.... I'm gonna keep trying to dodge this one pesky mall cop for another 20 mins.

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 03:35 AM
It's a mob scene.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2010, 03:39 AM
It's a mob scene.

Ugh. What does that mean? Just that there's no official line?

Any good guess on how many people there? Maybe I'll be leaving a little sooner than I'd planned on.

jwright0
Jun 24, 2010, 04:06 AM
What is the scene like at the mall at 5am?

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 04:10 AM
They had to bring police in to sort out the line. Ita going smooth now we are in the mall. I'm 50-100 people from the front in the walk-in line.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2010, 04:22 AM
5:19 AM

ROUGH guess, but I'd say I'm about 40th in the pre-order line.

Walk-up line seems to be about 150 - 200? Maybe? Hard to tell.

It's hot...A/C is off.

And yeah, there's more county cops here than mall cops. They're being helpful but stern.

Clix Pix
Jun 24, 2010, 04:28 AM
I am about 20th or 30th in the reservation line......the walk-in line is growing and growing......anyone who wants to get an iPhone better hustle over if you are intending to get one here! Yep, it is warm and muggy in here --I hope the AC kicks in soon!

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2010, 04:36 AM
Pre-order line guesses:

5:20 AM - 40
5:35 AM - 65

Hey Clix, I must be within 10 or 15 people of you!

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'd say there's at least 500 people in the non-res line now. Pretty hardcore turnout. I'm directly in front of the apple store on the other side of the gap....

Sounds like they have a lot of phones. When the girl took our tally she said that up to where I am in line they have plenty of phones.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
40 minutes in and I'd guess about 15-20 pre-order folks have gone in.

Don't know about the walk-up line, can't tell.

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 07:07 AM
Only about 5 from the walkin side. They are doing a horrible job of alternating line order.....

Clix Pix
Jun 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Home and syncing my beautiful new iPhone 4 now! I was in and out before 7:30. This phone is gorgeous!

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
Only 14 people to go!! Almost there....

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 11:05 AM
Finally got out around 11:30. This phone is pure sex!!!

Foxcolt
Jun 24, 2010, 12:28 PM
How are the lines looking now?

My pre-order is for the 14th :/

Was thinking I might swing by later today and try my luck. Hearing reports of some stores having tons and tons of stock and others selling out.

FragTek
Jun 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
From what I could roughly count they had about 800 phones behind the counter at Tysons Corner. They seemed confident that they would have enough to handle everyone today.

jwright0
Jun 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
Anyone still in line at the mall? I was thinking about running over if it wasn't to bad.

Foxcolt
Jun 24, 2010, 02:31 PM
Anyone still in line at the mall? I was thinking about running over if it wasn't to bad.

Just tried calling them, no anwser..so I imagine they are still pretty busy.

Hankster
Jun 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
All the Apple stores will be busy until closing. Lines are 200-600 constant depending on location.

Clix Pix
Jun 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
This evening I stopped by Tysons on my way home from visiting a friend and there were about 175 people in line to pick up their reserved iPhones and a significantly shorter line of first-come-first-served walk-ins. I am guessing that either the walk-ins line was cut off at a specific point in order to allow everyone who was already there in line to be sure of getting a phone before closing time (it was around 8:00 PM when I was there) OR that the store had only a specific number of iPhones left......

I suspect that tomorrow there will be a line of people hoping to snag a reserved iPhone which was not claimed today.

Lopes
Jun 25, 2010, 08:31 AM
I'm going to take my hand at getting a walk in iPhone right after work today...we'll see how long that takes!

Foxcolt
Jun 25, 2010, 11:06 AM
Anyone have any idea if they got a new shipment today?

Clix Pix
Jun 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Probably they won't get a new shipment until maybe Saturday or early next week.....saw that somewhere. I would guess that pickings are pretty slim by now as far as being able to walk in and get a new iPhone today, especially later in the day. Good luck to anyone who does try it, though! :)