PDA

View Full Version : To Jpeg or not to Jpeg

Craig R
May 17, 2004, 04:18 PM
I am have many, many, many digital photos. My question is, when shooting pictures from my sony digital, should I save them as a JPEG or a TIFF? The TIFF is a non compressed image vs a compressed JPEG.

Will I experience data loss if I save my JPEGs more than once? The only problem I see is that the TIFFs are such HUGE files which will eat my hard drive space.

kgarner
May 17, 2004, 04:22 PM
Both are compressed formats, but TIFF is lossless compression (hence the large size). I just do all mine in JPEG, but I am only taking family style pictures and nothing very critical. You may want to use TIFF if you are going to be doing a lot of editing later on.

decksnap
May 17, 2004, 04:34 PM
You should be able to use the Jpeg to take the pictures.. .However, after you open and manipulate it, save it off as a Tiff from that point. You don't want to re-compress it in a lossy format.

bousozoku
May 17, 2004, 04:43 PM
Generally, the JPEG 2.7:1 format is good enough. If you're taking photographs for professional graphics work, always use TIFF.

Horrortaxi
May 17, 2004, 05:43 PM
If your camera will save as tiff or raw then use that. You want your pictures to last and you want as much digital information as possible--and you won't get that with a jpg. You can edit the pictures and save a copy as a jpg, but hold onto the uncompressed picture.

superbovine
May 17, 2004, 09:52 PM
save the tiffs. for whatever reason the future you want to print, edit, etc you need the tiff. i know they are big, but it is worth it if you ever need the uncompressed picture.