PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Burning DVD on ext. burner

Figory
May 17, 2004, 06:15 PM
When I bought my G4 I didnt know id ever want to burn dvds so did not get the super drive. Then had so much fun with imovie that I bought a Lacie burner. I didnt know that idvd didnt work with these. Then heard about the easter egg HPfurz. (do i just drag this to my home folder or should i do something else?) Anyway its not working for me it gets stck on stage 4 multiplexing and burning. Could this be because I am using idvd 4.0.1?
Also have been told that quick movie dosnt work on that many machines and I really need mpeg.
My lacie came with toast lite, but dont seem to get very far with that either.
Can anyone help??? I,m loosing my mind!!
Thank you

PensDevil
May 18, 2004, 08:12 AM
This could possible be a dumb question to ask, and I do not mean to insult, but here it is: When you say it gets stuck on Stage 4: Multiplexing and burning, does it lock the machine up? Crash iDVD? Or, does it just seem to sit there grinding away without anything really happening? If so, it may not be hung at all. Depending on several variables (processor speed, RAM, length of project, variable bit rate vs. fixed, etc..) multiplexing could take a really long time before the actual burning starts.

Veldek
May 18, 2004, 08:42 AM
AFAIK, thereís a hack to enable external DVD burners to work with iApps, especially iDVD. I just canít remember the name at the moment, but if you do a search on VersionTracker you might find it.

Perhaps anyone else can jump in and post a link?

Edit: Ok, I found something. Perhaps it will help:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqList&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=34103&-search

Figory
May 18, 2004, 11:35 AM
This could possible be a dumb question to ask, and I do not mean to insult, but here it is: When you say it gets stuck on Stage 4: Multiplexing and burning, does it lock the machine up? Crash iDVD? Or, does it just seem to sit there grinding away without anything really happening? If so, it may not be hung at all. Depending on several variables (processor speed, RAM, length of project, variable bit rate vs. fixed, etc..) multiplexing could take a really long time before the actual burning starts.
I'm not sure about processor speed, RAM, length of project, variable bit rate vs. fixed, etc.. will have to find out.
I thought perhaps by upgrading to 4.0.1 I may have closed off that easter egg! I'll keep trying, thanks alot, I'll get there in the end!

Figory
May 18, 2004, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Veldek]AFAIK, thereís a hack to enable external DVD burners to work with iApps, especially iDVD. I just canít remember the name at the moment, but if you do a search on VersionTracker you might find it.

Perhaps anyone else can jump in and post a link?

Edit: Ok, I found something. Perhaps it will help:

Thanks alot I'll try it. Excuse my ignorance but does that mean I need to get panther? to make it work. I have OX 10.2.7. is panther alot different?
Sorry for being stupid, am just getting into this.
Thanks alot.

Veldek
May 18, 2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks alot I'll try it. Excuse my ignorance but does that mean I need to get panther? to make it work. I have OX 10.2.7. is panther alot different?
Sorry for being stupid, am just getting into this.
Thanks alot.

The new beta is for Panther, but there is a stable version for Jaguar. Download it here: http://www.macwelt.de/magazin/0310/PatchBurn1.1en.sit

Figory
May 18, 2004, 12:22 PM
The new beta is for Panther, but there is a stable version for Jaguar. Download it here: http://www.macwelt.de/magazin/0310/PatchBurn1.1en.sit

O.K I downloaded but it says that my Mat****a CD- RW CW -8122 is already supported and I dont need to patch anything!
????
!

PensDevil
May 18, 2004, 12:26 PM
I did some checking on another forum, and came across a user by the name of ckmac that appeared to be having the same problem He had this to say:

"Success!!!

For anyone who's attempting this, here's what worked and more importantly, what didn't work.

I have a G4 667 MHz Powerbook with 512 MB of RAM.

Initially I installed the two files into my home folder and I was able to get the dialog box. I was able to select the external burner (a Pioneer S606 Graveur) and start the process. It would get to stage 4 (the burning phase) and stop working.

I was running OS 10.2.6 with iDVD3 when I tried the patch.

I upgraded to iDVD 4 (still running 10.2.6), it didn't work.
I upgraded to iDVD 4.0.1 (still running 10.2.6), it didn't work.
I upgraded to OS 10.3.3 and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Hope this is helpful info to anyo"

According to this user, upgrading to panther magically made the easter egg hack work as advertised. The thread is 6 pages long (at time of writing this). I skimmed through it quickly, and it looks like everyone reporting success is on Panther. Thread is here. (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0) The post I quoted is on page 3.

I also came across this link that was recommended as a guide for getting this working: Easter egg guide hosted on a .Mac page (http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/personal_site/mac_guide/pages/15-burn_idvd_other.html)

Figory
May 19, 2004, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=PensDevil]I did some checking on another forum, and came across a user by the name of ckmac that appeared to be having the same problem He had this to say:

[I]"Success!!!

Oh wow thanks that is so kind of you. I live in a remote part of Ireland so its hard to find anyone who knows about Macs.
O.K so my next step is to get Panther! do I buy that or can I down load it???

Figory
May 19, 2004, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=PensDevil]I did some checking on another forum, and came across a user by the name of ckmac that appeared to be having the same problem He had this to say:

[I]"Success!!!

Oh wow thanks that is so kind of you. I live in a remote part of Ireland so its hard to find anyone who knows about Macs.
O.K so my next step is to get Panther! do I buy that or can I down load it???

Oh I just looked it up, looks like I have to buy it. Yikes!!!