PDA

View Full Version : G5 Power Mac having some HD issues.

newbiegeek
Jun 16, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hey all,

I have spent all day with a colleague wrestling with a 4 and 1/2 year old G5 tower that has been throwing up all sorts of cranky errors. (i.e. firefox crashes, flash crashes, programs wont load, itunes stops working, firewire drives make it insane).

As part of the diagnostic flow, I attempted to verify permissions on the core HD. Disk utility only took a couple seconds to determine that there is some unknown error with the HD, and it cant continue. This leads me to believe that we are dealing with a flailing drive, which very well MAY be the root of the problems!

Super. Time to make an external clone onto a fresh HD, and see if that helps. Install CCC 3. Open CCC 3, it hiccups on the dock, and then nothing. *roll eyes*. Install super duper. Run super duper. Now super duper refuses to let me make a bootable clone of the core HD!?!?

Fine, if that is how you want to play this game.

I get two SATA enclosures. Put the suspect drive in one, and then a fresh drive in the other. Plug both into my MBP where i run a CCC bootable clone. Couple hours later, it is complete. Lovely. Plug the new clone into the G5 tower, and it does not see it as a bootable drive. Bollocks.

Okay, lets try the CCC clone again.

Same result.

I am very tired about this, and am desperate for options.

Any thoughts much appreciate on this matter.

300D
Jun 16, 2009, 02:44 AM
Its pretty obvious you have a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Reinstall the OS, a clean install, not a clone.

California
Jun 16, 2009, 09:27 AM
Software issue number one plus failing hard drive is a notorious recipe for disaster on PM G5's.

Get a new hd and fresh OS will cure things. Leopard is better than Tiger for my G5's.

TonyK
Jun 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
That is why last weekend I purchased Leopard for this PM G5. :)

Software issue number one plus failing hard drive is a notorious recipe for disaster on PM G5's.

Get a new hd and fresh OS will cure things. Leopard is better than Tiger for my G5's.

newbiegeek
Jun 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
Well, that is fairly clear response.

This badboy could use a re-install. Preparing to leap to leopard!