Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hello

Has anyone cracked or had success in installing Windows on a SD card via bootcamp?

My bootcamp wont see the SD Card. Just keeps coming up with UMBP HD only.

Vlad1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Bump,

I am interested in this too. I would love running XP off a 16 or 32GB SD card.

KptIglo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
news

some news or experience?

now after selling both fu%&ing 15" mbp (late08 / mid10) i've bought the new 13" air
i was hoping to get win installed on a sd card, but i had determined that the sd slot is on the usb bus, too bad

any info is very appreciated cause it'll make the air to be my dream machine :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The MBAs are generally pretty happy with rEFIt.

Is what you are planning to use Windows for just not compatible with virtualization, 'cause that will work fine. I have a linux VM on an SD card for my MBP.

B

KptIglo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
hmm, the last time i've done the hole annoying rEFIt usb installation procedure was 2-3 years ago

so i'm not firm with it anymore.
but wasn't and still is the problem, that bootcamp doesn' recognize the sd card?

i've neither got a sd card nor an usb superdrive to test and don't wanna waste time and money

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have no experience, but if the SD card is just on the USB bus, why not just try installing Windows following one of the guides for installing it on a USB drive?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I doubt you'll be bale to boot Windows 7 or Vista from it, but XP shoul dwork using the usual modifications to get it to boot from an external USB drive.

B

KptIglo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
hmm, why do you think so?
is there any difference between xp and seven?
seven ist the only ms os which bootcamp supports on the mba

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.