PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait before installing 7200RPM hard drive and voiding warranty in PBG4?

bradz_id
May 18, 2004, 03:17 AM
Hi,

I ordered a new 1.5GHz 15" PowerBook with 768MB RAM and 128MB video RAM. I also ordered a Hitachi 7K60 60GB 7200RPM hard drive. If I get an Apple authorised technician to change the drive, does it void the warranty? If so, how long should I wait and look for problems before voiding the warranty and replacing the hard drive?

King Cobra
May 18, 2004, 04:25 PM
75% sure (the issue has been discussed in the past on the forums)... you can replace the Powerbook's Hard Drive at anytime w/o voiding the warranty. I think it's the iBook's Hard Drive swap that voids the warranty.

Elan0204
May 18, 2004, 04:49 PM
Here is a link to my post in another thread similar to this one:

Link to Prior Post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=846622#post846622)

I'm pretty sure that changing the hard drive yourself will void the warranty on any model of the aluminum powerbook. However, I'm not sure if using an Apple Certified Technician will get around this problem. Since your powerbook is new, you have 90 days of free tech support. I would call Apple and discuss this issue with them to find out without a doubt what you can and can't do under the terms of the powerbook's warranty.

Sun Baked
May 18, 2004, 04:52 PM
The number of Customer Installable Parts was reduced on the new machines.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/

On the Ti (http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15ti/) there were more things you could do to the machine without voiding the warranty, on the aluminum machines there were a bunch on CIPs that were dropped.

If you have 15/17 with FW800, and are worried about the warranty you might want to look at the FW800 cases.

Sure it's external, but they generally let the drive operate at full speed (unlike FW400).

---

Using an OEM part with an Apple Part number would probably keep the warranty, but you aren't using an Apple part and are modifying the machine whether you have an Apple Tech do it or not.

(ie, Ford will probably void the Mustang warranty if you do an engine swap or add a non-Ford blower even if you have a Ford Certified Tech do the job)

idkew
May 18, 2004, 05:18 PM
ok- on the line with AppleCare asking this same question...

Q: Will installing a new hard drive in my Aluminum PowerBook void my AppleCare?

give me a few min...

ok, after a short hold (i think this is an unusual question):

A: No, If APPLE installs a third-party hard drive, it will NOT void your AppleCare, although the new drive will obviously not be covered. If YOU install it, no more warranty.

JOD8FY
May 18, 2004, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't try it yourself. Take it to the store and ask them. If not, then you'd have to wait - I think - 1 year after your purchase for the warrranty to run out. If worse comes to worse, just stick it in an external enclusure. Let us know how things go.

Good luck,
JOD8FY

rhpenguin
May 18, 2004, 07:36 PM
BAH!!! just do the swap yourself. Just make sure you have a lot of masking tape and a digital camera handy.

If you do a good enough job, Apple wont be able to tell whats been done. I did a swap on my iBook of a HDD and Superdrive and no one can tell.

Its a good thing to do :)

Mord
May 19, 2004, 09:58 AM
i agree with rhpenguin but it depends how experinced you are i for examle am perfictly happy with resoldering inverter coils on my dual g4 cube but it is up to you try it and see how far you can get without doing anything perminent like scratching the innerds or breaking a seal

FuzzyBallz
May 19, 2004, 02:14 PM
You know this Apple Certified Technician install and self install thing is total BS. It's like saying as long as an ACT was reponsible for installing your new HD, it doesn't matter if he scratched it all up, your notebook will still be covered under warranty. On the other hand, if they found out it's a DIY job, even though you did it better than an ACT, they'll void the warranty. BS BS BS. Good thing I didn't buy rip off care. I modded my notebooks the 1st minute I took it out of the box.

idkew
May 19, 2004, 02:18 PM
if you do choose to do this yourself, make sure you keep the original drive, and then if you need to send the laptop in for repair, you should put that drive back in, to avoid problems.

bradz_id
May 19, 2004, 07:34 PM
I'd love to keep the original drive but I can't afford to! It's an 80GB 2.5" hard drive. I can sell it for A$250. I can't afford to keep it!

So if I get an apple certified technician to put it in, does it void the warranty?

bradz_id
May 19, 2004, 07:40 PM
You know this Apple Certified Technician install and self install thing is total BS. It's like saying as long as an ACT was reponsible for installing your new HD, it doesn't matter if he scratched it all up, your notebook will still be covered under warranty. On the other hand, if they found out it's a DIY job, even though you did it better than an ACT, they'll void the warranty. BS BS BS. Good thing I didn't buy rip off care. I modded my notebooks the 1st minute I took it out of the box.

I know, it SUX!!! I've built PC's, ripped apart iMacs and emacs and I have the PowerBook 15" Al service manual too. I will take more care of it I know! Is there any way that they can tell if i change it, something goes wrong and I change it back? Things are looking like I might have to keep the original hard drive and lose A$250! :mad:

I might get an external FW800 enclosure for my stock hard drive. I have NO IDEA what I'll use it for though!

idkew
May 19, 2004, 07:44 PM
So if I get an apple certified technician to put it in, does it void the warranty?

did you read my post?

bradz_id
May 20, 2004, 03:38 AM
I did indeed. I rang Apple to confirm and they said even with Apple Technician and non-apple hard drive, it DOES void warranty and it'll cost me $100 just for them to put it in so I'm gonna put it in myself and keep the original one in an external enclosure for about 6 months and if everything is still running fine then, i'll sell the external drive.

idkew
May 20, 2004, 07:45 AM
interesting.

wonder what the apple guy i talked with was smoking....

but- DIY, there are many photos of people taking their laptop apart. they should help you. just go slow and steady. you'll be fine.

bradz_id
May 20, 2004, 04:45 PM
Yeh I've got the service manual and I've built plenty of PC's and gutted plenty of macs before.