Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I posted this question earlier in the iPhone forums. I've had a lot of views but not one reply. I'm trying to set up my new MBP and a question led me here to this forum where I think the question is more appropriate. Does anyone see something potentially wrong with trying this? :

I have a MBP and an 8GB iPhone.

I want to keep my 130 Gb of music on an external hard drive that will stay on my desk. A few months back I thought about creating a separate library of the music I mostly listen to and transcoding it to 128Kbps AAC (from the ~240VBR it mostly is). The resulting library should be small enough to manage on my MBP and I could sync my iPhone only with that. When I add music in the future I could do it to the main library and transcode into smaller files for the smaller library. I am concerned about how the playback quality would be affected, but when at home with my nicer stereo I would use the full quality music from my external HDD. Does this sound like a good idea?

If this is a bad idea than I'd prefer to still keep my music on the external HD to not take up too much space. I won't cry because I always have my iPhone anyway when I want to listen to music. I just saw that you can select "manage music and videos manually" so I won't have to worry about syncing when the external HDD isn't attached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.