Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I have a 20" Intel iMac from 2006 (so way out of warranty). The hard drive was failing, so I decided to replace it on my own, after checking some disassembly and repair information online.

But when I opened it up, I didn't realize that the ribbon cable between the logic board and the LCD was so short and I "snapped" it off at the LCD side. The connected still looked like it would work, so I completed the hard drive replacement.

I had a lot of difficulty re-connecting that ribbon cable and when I thought I had it, it turns out the computer would start, but no video. I tried twice with no luck.

So I took it to the Apple store and after their diagnostics, they said it would need a new logic board and possibly a new LCD, so they quoted a price of about $1500, which is more than the cost to buy a new one.

I'd rather fix this one, so I suppose I'm on my own now. I really don't think I damaged the logic board - just the ribbon cable. I could try getting a new ribbon cable and try with that.

Does anyone have any recommendations, experience, advice on what I could do next?

Thanks in advance,

Floyd

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Have a look at this website and see if you can find the damaged part: http://www.welovemacs.com/imacintelcore.html .

Also, you have no G5 iMac, if it is an Intel iMac.
G5 CPUs were made by IBM, the Intel CPUs by Intel and they are called Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.

Thanks for the clarification. It's an early 2006 20" Intel.
And thanks for the link, the cable I think I destroyed is the LVDS cable.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
If it truly is only a broken cable, they are available as replacement parts at substantially less than a logic board or LCD.

Although it may be overstatement . . . do the Apple "techs" ever have any fix other than "replace the logic board?" :rolleyes:

I do understand that they will never work on a device "at the component level" such as capacitors, resistors, diodes or even socketed CPU or GPU microprocessors. Instead, they merely swap whole assemblies despite the fact that it is a $0.20 part on a $600 logic board that needs remedy.

It's like going into your car dealership with an oil leak, but instead of just replacing the headgasket, they will only replace the whole engine. Which works out well if it's under warranty . . .

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Sounds like a wonky design. I did the same thing with Mom's iMac G5 and the back cover just came off and the drive was right there; no ribbon cables or anything that needed to be unplugged for that back cover.

-mark

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Sounds like a wonky design. I did the same thing with Mom's iMac G5 and the back cover just came off and the drive was right there; no ribbon cables or anything that needed to be unplugged for that back cover.

-mark

No, no, no, you got this all wrong ;)

We definitely love and need this 'slim' is better design from Apple. Nothing else would do. Who needs functionality anyway???

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
If it truly is only a broken cable, they are available as replacement parts at substantially less than a logic board or LCD.

Although it may be overstatement . . . do the Apple "techs" ever have any fix other than "replace the logic board?" :rolleyes:

I do understand that they will never work on a device "at the component level" such as capacitors, resistors, diodes or even socketed CPU or GPU microprocessors. Instead, they merely swap whole assemblies despite the fact that it is a $0.20 part on a $600 logic board that needs remedy.

It's like going into your car dealership with an oil leak, but instead of just replacing the headgasket, they will only replace the whole engine. Which works out well if it's under warranty . . .

Yeah, that does make sense to me, but I suspect it could contribute to an intially higher initial cost, since they need to factor in warranty repairs in the price, no?

When I talked to the tech about what was damaged on the logic board, he just gave me a vague "a connector is broken" response. I'll try replacing the cable myself, as I suppose at this point I have nothing to lose.

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Fixed

I replaced the LVDS cable after purchasing a replacement from Apple Palace ($51, with shipping) and the iMac is back up and functioning at (apparently) 100%.

When I picked up the iMac from the Apple Store, the Concierge was nice enough to tell me that it's a shame when computers become "not worth fixing"... :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the advice.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I replaced the LVDS cable after purchasing a replacement from Apple Palace ($51, with shipping) and the iMac is back up and functioning at (apparently) 100%.

When I picked up the iMac from the Apple Store, the Concierge was nice enough to tell me that it's a shame when computers become "not worth fixing"... :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the advice.

Lawl. Lesson learned I hope! Congrats.:apple:

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina

Well done!!! This world wastes so much... More folks should adventure into the realm of DIY. It is extremely satisfying, not to mention easier on your wallet. :D

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Lawl. Lesson learned I hope! Congrats.:apple:

I'm not sure which lesson it was I was supposed to learn:
a) Bring it to Apple Store from the start
b) Don't bring it to the Apple Store even when I break it

I'm gonna learn lesson "b"...

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I'm not sure which lesson it was I was supposed to learn:
a) Bring it to Apple Store from the start
b) Don't bring it to the Apple Store even when I break it

I'm gonna learn lesson "b"...

How about lesson c..

c) Sometimes cables can be short and break easy. :p

floydg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Well done!!! This world wastes so much... More folks should adventure into the realm of DIY. It is extremely satisfying, not to mention easier on your wallet. :D

Thanks! While I'd like to agree that more people should try some DIY, these iMac's really aren't built for a DIY "hack". But I did boost my confidence and restored peace in the house.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I would be very very inclined to go back to the store and inform them that all it needed was a $50 cable.

I'm disgusted that after looking at it, they could not determine that the best place to start would be the (obviously?) damaged cable.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I would be very very inclined to go back to the store and inform them that all it needed was a $50 cable.

I'm disgusted that after looking at it, they could not determine that the best place to start would be the (obviously?) damaged cable.

But where would their profit be in that? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.