PDA

View Full Version : 'TweetDeck' Comes to the iPhone

MacRumors
Jun 16, 2009, 08:40 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/16/tweetdeck-comes-to-the-iphone/)

An iPhone version of TweetDeck [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318518757&mt=8), Free], the popular Twitter browser for Mac, Windows, and Linux, has appeared in the App Store. The application brings a number of features to enhance users' mobile Twitter experience:

- Tweet directly from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Manage multiple Twitter accounts.
- Stay up to date - view all new tweets in real-time.
- View notifications for new tweets received.
- Use columns to create your personal dashboard.
- Easy set-up - Sync with your existing TweetDeck columns.
- Create Groups to easily follow all your friends.
- Follow topics in real-time with saved searches.
- Reply to tweets and send direct messages.
- Easily re-tweet messages.
- Share photos with Twitpic and YFrog.
- Shorten and share links with your favorite URL shortener.
- Follow and un-follow people.
- Shake your iPhone to refresh columns.
- Manage your favorite tweets.

Kevin Rose was able to get his hands on a beta version of the app and earlier today posted some brief favorable impressions and several screenshots (http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2009/6/16/tweetdeck-for-iphone-coming-soon.html).

Article Link: 'TweetDeck' Comes to the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/16/tweetdeck-comes-to-the-iphone/)

chr1s60
Jun 16, 2009, 08:44 PM
Just picked it up. Not too bad so far.

airlights
Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
I still prefer Tweetie.

Compile 'em all
Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
More choice = good.

I don't like the interface though, looks..uhm..not standard. Don't know why they didn't go with the tab bar.

Drew4884
Jun 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Is it me? Or is their no way to see what is "trending" on twitter with this app? Love everything else!

mattpol
Jun 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
Nice, but Tweetie is better.

themacintoshman
Jun 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
Is it me? Or is their no way to see what is "trending" on twitter with this app? Love everything else!
I can't find it either.

Switz213
Jun 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
Free? I'll check it out ofc. I used to use TweetDeck until Cocoa Tweetie came out for mac. I hope they implement push, though.

okrelayer
Jun 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
i like a lot of this app. But missing trends is a huge negetive! I could see my self useing this exclusivly to keep up with certain search topics (as its really easy in the coverflow/card view ) and continue to use tweetie for my day to day.

am i the only one that wants to swipe up to get rid of the "cards" like on the pre?! :p

BigTRQ
Jun 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
Trying to look at folks' profiles results in getting kicked out of the app, back to the Springboard. I like this software, even with the inevitable v.1.0 bugs. My older twitter app, Twitterfon, has been put on notice. :)

nehunte
Jun 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
I can't seem to be able to mention anybody when I create a new tweet. Anybody else having this problem?

dannyar
Jun 16, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have a review being uploaded to youtube as i speak. Check out my channel at Dannyar10 in a bit to check it out. I like it a lot more than tweetie.

iphones4evry1
Jun 16, 2009, 10:52 PM
The more and more people record their lives on Twitter, the less and less they will be able to "bend the truth." If someone tells me they haven't been to Disneyland (or whatever) in over a year, and I scroll through their Twitter and find that they Twittered from Disneyland six months ago, then there will be a "paper trail." Twitter is great for keeping people honest, but just be careful ... it gives other people PROOF. It's just a matter of time before the FBI starts searching the Twitter of people they are investigating. "Officer, I was with my parents that night." ... "I have a print out of your Twitter, and here is what it says: "I was at Sally's party Tuesday night, it was so much fun!" ...

scirica
Jun 16, 2009, 11:24 PM
I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!

crash8130
Jun 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!

Restart the phone and it runs like a dream.. Great App.. even though it lacks trends..

websyndicate
Jun 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
Nice, but Tweetie is better.

My only gripe with Tweetie is it doesnt give you notifications on replies and show new tweet counts not unless I am missing something.

trav
Jun 17, 2009, 12:31 AM
I'm loving that it stays in sync with the TweetDeck desktop app. It's about time an app does this!

infamous
Jun 17, 2009, 02:06 AM
Tested it out.. its neat to have but I still feel TwitterFon FTW!

scirica
Jun 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??

Briankeith82
Jun 17, 2009, 08:15 AM
I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter? :confused:

sellitom
Jun 17, 2009, 08:45 AM
freakin sweet!

twoodcc
Jun 17, 2009, 08:57 AM
nice that's free. i'll probably check it out. right now i use twitterfon

glasserp
Jun 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter? :confused:
Have you been living under a rock? Have you not heard about how significant Twitter has been in communication for those living in Iran and all the events taking place there in the past week? I'll argue that Tweets will eventually replace RSS as well. It's more than just "o hai just woke up and eating a bagel nao". Look at how many website distribute their stories / articles now via Twitter. Also check out this article by TechCrunch http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/14/for-techcrunch-twitter-traffic-a-statistical-breakdown/

geekmommy4
Jun 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
So far, I absolutely LOVE the TweetDeck interface. It's very innovative compared to the other Twitter apps out.

In addition to missing the trends and syncing not working for me (as mentioned by others above), I found a couple of other things I'd like to see in this.

The first is that I'd like it to have an option to open to the oldest new post instead of starting at the top. I don't like having to figure out where I left off reading. Also, it needs to allow landscape viewing of links. TwitterFon does both of those things and has me spoiled!

However, I love the UI enough that it will be my first choice as soon as they get a couple of these things working!

scirica
Jun 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??

Ok...apparently all I needed to do was upgrade my tweetdeck software on the pc and get an account with tweetdeck. Syncing seems to work, but the app is crashing frequently. Other than that, I really like it!

The Stig
Jun 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
I can't get tweetdeck to work. I setup an account on my MB, but then I try to sign it on my iPhone it says I have the wrong user name and password and then gives me a message about my fetch being +/- 15 mins or something saying it needs to be set to 15 minutes.. (my fetch is set at 15mins).

I tried setting up the same tweetdeck on my iPhone but its a no go. I've tried creating a new tweetdeck with a different e-mail, but it doesn't work... stupid thing...

Can anybody tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

The Stig

sellitom
Jun 17, 2009, 01:28 PM
Tends not to work on a 3G connection from time to time...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/131/deck.jpg

The Samurai
Jun 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm finding it works fine although it has crashed on me twice (exits the app). Overall, good app.

Heres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ56gQFtc4) my video review on it.

sparkleytone
Jun 17, 2009, 08:35 PM

at this point it seems like two things. low hanging fruit and a flexible project to learn the iPhone platform on. the latter is evidenced by the extremely varied approaches to UI between differing clients. i think it's pretty cool to see developers creating new UI ideas while this whole multitouch thing is being born. tweetdeck's is unique, interesting, flashy, and quite fast.

pseudonymph
Jun 18, 2009, 08:10 AM
The more and more people record their lives on Twitter, the less and less they will be able to "bend the truth." If someone tells me they haven't been to Disneyland (or whatever) in over a year, and I scroll through their Twitter and find that they Twittered from Disneyland six months ago, then there will be a "paper trail." Twitter is great for keeping people honest, but just be careful ... it gives other people PROOF. It's just a matter of time before the FBI starts searching the Twitter of people they are investigating. "Officer, I was with my parents that night." ... "I have a print out of your Twitter, and here is what it says: "I was at Sally's party Tuesday night, it was so much fun!" ...

Who says you have to tell the truth on twitter or document your life at all? Lots of people use it for their businesses or as a replacement for reading RSS feeds or for telling jokes.

As for Tweetdeck itself, the desktop version has always seemed too "busy" for me and I don't see much difference in the iphone version. I'm sticking to tweetie and sms for twitter use.

mkrishnan
Jun 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
I just switched from Twinkle to TweetDeck. I'm fairly impressed! It's fast as hell! :eek:

Questions and observations:

- I never used TweetDeck on the desktop... what is this "API Calls Remaining" business?

- I like the general layout, but I did notice some inconsistencies. For instance, I like the way you can see recent tweets from an individual, but, when you go from the main deck to their profile to their recent tweets, once you're in the column of recent tweets, it doesn't seem like you can reply or retweet these like you can the ones that are in your main deck?

- I haven't had any crashes yet, but I tried to take a picture in a tweet, and it somehow failed to upload the picture, and when it failed to upload the picture, it also kind of borked the text of the tweet, and I had to type the whole thing in again.

glowrider
Jun 20, 2009, 07:42 PM
Missing trends is huge - that's the main draw of tweetdeck imo...

APIs remaining are calls to the server - you get 100 an hour or so.

Randman
Jun 20, 2009, 07:54 PM
It has some nice features but I keep going back to Tweetie. However, it' the best of the free ones though.

three
Jun 21, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've been using TweetDeck on my Macs for ages, I'm glad to have the iPhone TweetDeck now.

ob81
Jun 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
Lucky it was free! Tried it. No auto update, landscape was not working if it is on there, and it seemed like too much was going on.
It took to much work to keep up with my tweets. Not better than TP. (tweetie is like tp but cheaper)

mkrishnan
Jun 21, 2009, 11:57 AM
APIs remaining are calls to the server - you get 100 an hour or so.

Thank you -- I did sort of gather that much, but calls on whose server? Is this a Twitter.com mechanism to prevent spambots and the like, and all the applications have this limitation, but this is the first time I've seen it explicitly called out on the app screen, or is this something unique to how the TweetDeck system works.

P.S. FWIW now that I've used it a bit more, it does crash for me at times, predominantly on startup (this happened with Twinkle, too) and sometimes also while tweeting (which is more annoying).

scirica
Jun 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you -- I did sort of gather that much, but calls on whose server? Is this a Twitter.com mechanism to prevent spambots and the like, and all the applications have this limitation, but this is the first time I've seen it explicitly called out on the app screen, or is this something unique to how the TweetDeck system works.

P.S. FWIW now that I've used it a bit more, it does crash for me at times, predominantly on startup (this happened with Twinkle, too) and sometimes also while tweeting (which is more annoying).

It's 100 calls to the server for your Twitter account on the Twitter servers, regardless of what app you are hitting it from. If you have multiple Twitter apps calling on the server, it can go fast! (But refreshes after the hour).

oyebto
Jun 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Who says you have to tell the truth on twitter or document your life at all? Lots of people use it for their businesses or as a replacement for reading RSS feeds or for telling jokes.

As for Tweetdeck itself, the desktop version has always seemed too "busy" for me and I don't see much difference in the iphone version. I'm sticking to tweetie and sms for twitter use.

EXACTLY what i wanted to say. find it wierd to tweet from desktop though. always find tweeting a means to share wad i am doing on the move. and RSS is a thing of the past to me.