PDA

View Full Version : FirewireOrUSBexternalDrive?

Mr. Monsieur
May 18, 2004, 12:15 PM
I'd like to buy a portable external hard drive from which to run various applications...so I've been looking at firewire connected drives, because of their higher speeds...I'm wondering, though, if this is overkill...would a USB 2.0 drive be sufficient? I've got a 1.2 Ghz G4 iBook...Any recommendations as to which one I should get? At present I'm considering Buslink's Disk-on-the-go...I can't tell, though, if it is mac-compatible...

neonart
May 18, 2004, 12:28 PM
I'd like to buy a portable external hard drive from which to run various applications...so I've been looking at firewire connected drives, because of their higher speeds...I'm wondering, though, if this is overkill...would a USB 2.0 drive be sufficient? I've got a 1.2 Ghz G4 iBook...Any recommendations as to which one I should get? At present I'm considering Buslink's Disk-on-the-go...I can't tell, though, if it is mac-compatible...

Firewire all the way. Transfer rates are higher especially on Macs. I would also stick to better brands than Buslink. I have a "cheap" firewire drive thats a constant pain in the but. Brands like LaCie and OWC's Mercury Elite drives will be compatible, reliable, and well supported.

Here is OWC's page for firewire drives in 2.5" and 3.5" sizes. Check them out. (http://eshop.macsales.com/Static_Pages/index.cfm)

I hope this helps- your mac experience will be better if you get better produts to go with it. :)

Bhennies
May 18, 2004, 12:56 PM
I'd like to buy a portable external hard drive from which to run various applications...so I've been looking at firewire connected drives, because of their higher speeds...I'm wondering, though, if this is overkill...would a USB 2.0 drive be sufficient? I've got a 1.2 Ghz G4 iBook...Any recommendations as to which one I should get? At present I'm considering Buslink's Disk-on-the-go...I can't tell, though, if it is mac-compatible...the new owc drives support fw800, fw400 and usb 2.0 all in one. i have two and they are amazing. not too pricey either. do not buy a lacie, they are very unreliable.

edesignuk
May 18, 2004, 01:26 PM
FirewireOrUSBexternalDrive?
OMG! Where is teh space bar!?!? :p :D

Godfather
May 18, 2004, 01:32 PM
do not buy a lacie, they are very unreliable.

Erm? I have no problems with mine...

7on
May 18, 2004, 01:49 PM
I like ADS's fw drive kit. www.adstech.com
Converts 3.5" and 5.25" drives into FW drives. Very nice.

Mr. Monsieur
May 18, 2004, 02:58 PM
OMG! Where is teh space bar!?!?

I have no idea...I was having the exact same problem... ;) ...actually...it's all a question of marketing...when only half the title shows up in the 'forums' screen, why would someone bother looking at my post, as they have no idea what it's all about (which is why I find those posts titled 'A question' rather...well...ineffective)

Mr. Monsieur
May 18, 2004, 03:02 PM
It just hit me that I could probably use an ipod for the same kind of thing...isn't that right? I had planned on buying one anyway...is there any fault in my thinking?

JOD8FY
May 18, 2004, 03:13 PM
It just hit me that I could probably use an ipod for the same kind of thing...isn't that right? I had planned on buying one anyway...is there any fault in my thinking?

Not at all. Come to think of it, that's a good idea. Get a 40 GB iPod and you're all set.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

thatwendigo
May 18, 2004, 04:14 PM
I haven't seenn anyone else bring this up, but depending on your usage needs, there's an additional benefit to FireWire. If you're using a 2.5" mobile FireWire drive (laptop-HD, basically), then it can be powered off of the cable. Larger enclosures and drives usually need an external power source.

In other words, if this is for portable storage you intend to use while on the go, a mobile FireWire drive or iPod would be your best bet.

locopano
May 18, 2004, 08:57 PM
what i mean is can you say take your ipod with all your music on it, then when your ina park you decide to connect it to your PB and check some stuff on it. then you want to listen to music again.

can you do that. or can it only be used for storage OR music at anyone time

Also say if i upload a belkin media reader file of the card and then after i have done that i want to listen to music again can i do that?

So people have said they have had problems but i jsut want to know if its possible

neonart
May 18, 2004, 09:10 PM
what i mean is can you say take your ipod with all your music on it, then when your ina park you decide to connect it to your PB and check some stuff on it. then you want to listen to music again.

can you do that. or can it only be used for storage OR music at anyone time

Also say if i upload a belkin media reader file of the card and then after i have done that i want to listen to music again can i do that?

So people have said they have had problems but i jsut want to know if its possible

Yes and yes. Your iPod could be used as a music player and then as a FW drive. I don't know if you can listen to music and use the FW drive feature simultaneously, but you can use one after the other without a problem.

Coolvirus007
May 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
I use Lacie and I have never heard of it being unreliable. The best brand by far are the YANO drives. They have a 8MB buffer and come in a cool metallic case. (But I think there is an option for WC for a 8MB buffer)

TrenchMouth
May 19, 2004, 12:23 PM
i would go with a firewire drive.

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

from what they say there the data rates on the USB2.0 drives are just too slow right now. I have a 80gig lacie that i have had for more than a year now that has been nothing but great. The price difference isnt enough to warrent a big cut in performance.

abhishekit
May 21, 2004, 04:01 PM
Yes and yes. Your iPod could be used as a music player and then as a FW drive. I don't know if you can listen to music and use the FW drive feature simultaneously, but you can use one after the other without a problem.

if you are using iPod as an external drive, you cant use it to play music, while its connected. I mean, you can play it through your computer...but not thru iPod itself..

cheers

Sparky's
May 21, 2004, 09:41 PM
do not buy a lacie, they are very unreliable.
Not one bad drive does this opinion make :p

I have 4 LaCie drives, 2 internal (80 gb each) and 1 external (120gb), the fouth is an external DVD-R CD-R burner (both externals are Firewire) and they are performing flawlessly. I would recommend LaCie over most other brands for, not only price, but reliability, ease of use and versatility.
that's my thought

Bhennies
May 21, 2004, 11:28 PM
Not one bad drive does this opinion make :p

I have 4 LaCie drives, 2 internal (80 gb each) and 1 external (120gb), the fouth is an external DVD-R CD-R burner (both externals are Firewire) and they are performing flawlessly. I would recommend LaCie over most other brands for, not only price, but reliability, ease of use and versatility.
that's my thoughtI know, i know...I've been talking a lot of crap about Lacie HD's. Well...anyway, if they work for you I'm happy to hear that :) .

p.s. i have a Lacie cdrw. Works great.