PDA

View Full Version : DISABLE Bluetooth Mouse Acceleration

solitarycow
May 18, 2004, 02:32 PM
Alright please slap me with all kinds of trout and get it over with. I know I posted this like a bajillion times now BUT:

I've been able to disable mouse acceleration by plugging a USB mouse and using USB Overdrive X and have been somewhat satisfied. It works great but with the darn cord hanging out of the mouse, it isn't the most portable thing in the world for my PB.

SOOO:

Is there ANY program out there that will DISABLE mouse acceleration in BLUETOOTH mice? Please, if any software developer out there is listening, please please hear my plea! This is my ONLY OS X gripe!

jeff.macaddict
May 19, 2004, 01:46 AM
there is a way

with the terminal..........

defaults write --globalDomain com.apple.mouse.scaling -float 3.0

Then press CTL-D, then again press CTL-D to complete the command.

Now, keep in mind that the 3.0 part is how fast the mouse scales, 3.0 is the highest number, and the default is 1.7. So, play with it, and enter whatever suits your needs best.

solitarycow
May 19, 2004, 12:33 PM
Are these effects supposed to happen immediatley or does it require a restart? And you know what I mean by mouse acceleration and not speed?

musicpyrite
May 19, 2004, 01:44 PM
there is a way

with the terminal..........

defaults write --globalDomain com.apple.mouse.scaling -float 3.0

Then press CTL-D, then again press CTL-D to complete the command.

Now, keep in mind that the 3.0 part is how fast the mouse scales, 3.0 is the highest number, and the default is 1.7. So, play with it, and enter whatever suits your needs best.

Since your talking about mouse speed, there is a program called MouseZoom (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12205) that does the exact same thing. The fastest mouse movement in OS X is too slow for me.

solitarycow
May 19, 2004, 08:59 PM
No, no, no. I'm talking about ACCELERATION not speed!

For instance, when I take my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and move it slowly across my mousepad, the cursor on the screen will travel say...halfway across the screen (most times it's WAAAY less). Now let's say I move the mouse across my mousepad faster, the cursor travels clear across the screen. My problem is that I quickly move my mouse across my mousepad say an inch and the darn cursor travels clear across the screen making me overshoot what I was trying to click on or (which makes me REALLY MAD) makes me ruin something I'm working on in Photoshop.

I've tried MouseZoom. YES it works fine for SPEED but NOT acceleration. I've tried USB Overdrive X and YES it works fine for disabling mouse acceleration for USB MICE.

I am looking for a program or fix to disable MOUSE ACCELERATION in BLUETOOTH MICE!!!

-Disgruntled mouse user...otherwise astonished with Mac OS X

jeff.macaddict
May 20, 2004, 02:14 AM
Are you using an Apple bluetooth mouse? If you were to use some other brand, the driver for that mouse should override the one that came preloaded with Panter, and therefor allowing you to control the acceleration of the mouse. I havent personally tested this theory, though.

Dunepilot
May 20, 2004, 06:54 AM
No, no, no. I'm talking about ACCELERATION not speed!
. I've tried USB Overdrive X and YES it works fine for disabling mouse acceleration for USB MICE.

I am looking for a program or fix to disable MOUSE ACCELERATION in BLUETOOTH MICE!!!

I have actually done this using USB overdrive along with a Logitech Bluetooth mouse (900MX, I think), but it does operate via some sort of bastardised usb/bluetooth bridge, and isn't fully compliant with Bluetooth on the Mac, as I understand it. That's why I took it back and bought one of those swanky new _corded_ microsoft optical mice (the one with the sideways scrolling).