Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Never owned 2 iPod touches at the same time, but now I do.

Both are running 2.x.x at the moment; when 3.0 is released do I have to pay twice to upgrade both or do I just pay once?

Also if I bought one of the iPod touch 2 days ago, is there a way I can get the update for free short of exchanging the iPod (of course this is only applicable if I have to pay twice for the upgrade).

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
well asuming they are both of the same generation iPod you should be fine and only have to purchase once then do a options + update (mac) or shift + update (windows) then point it to the 3.0 update file.

If one is a 1st gen and the other is a 2nd gen iPod then you will probably have to purchase both updates.

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
apple gave the rebate last year with the 1.x.x to 2.0, first you have to buy it then you will get your money back.
so buy and rebate on the recent one and use that .ipsw for both or wait a day or so and you could always torrent it

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
well asuming they are both of the same generation iPod you should be fine and only have to purchase once then do a options + update (mac) or shift + update (windows) then point it to the 3.0 update file.

If one is a 1st gen and the other is a 2nd gen iPod then you will probably have to purchase both updates.

Yeah one is 1st gen and the second one is 2nd gen. I really just want to know if they bill with regard to the iTunes account or the individual units.

apple gave the rebate last year with the 1.x.x to 2.0, first you have to buy it then you will get your money back.
so buy and rebate on the recent one and use that .ipsw for both or wait a day or so and you could always torrent it

They didn't give me a rebate last year when I upgraded from 1.x.x to 2.0; and it's not about spending $10, but rather not having to spend it, so I won't torrent it—plus there is the issue I will have to wait a day which I don't do. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've done it before, you only need to pay once. All it does for the second one is check that the new OS has been purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.