PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep or sell the 2.5ghz Dual Processor G5 PM?

California
Jun 17, 2009, 03:24 AM
Got a loaded 2.5ghz dual processor g5 with nice video editing cards okay stock graphics card that Apple fixed for free due to leaking processor.

This is the model that only takes eight gigs of ram max but is a faster CPU than my 2.3 dual core.

Which one is the better machine to keep? Both have airport.

Have any of you owned this 2.5ghz G5? (NOT the 2.5 quad core, the 2.5ghz Duel Processor)

300D
Jun 17, 2009, 03:54 AM
All the 2.5 models will eventually leak and die. The 2.3 will live on for many many years.

The sooner you sell the 2.5 the higher its value will be. The dual core 2.3 also has many improvements, faster memory, PCIe graphics and expansion, that make it a better machine.

Andrew Henry
Jun 17, 2009, 03:58 AM
All the 2.5 models will eventually leak and die. The 2.3 will live on for many many years.

The sooner you sell the 2.5 the higher its value will be. The dual core 2.3 also has many improvements, faster memory, PCIe graphics and expansion, that make it a better machine.

Especially since after Snow Leopard is released I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a sharp decline in the resale value of PPC Macs. :(

gugucom
Jun 17, 2009, 05:51 AM
A quad logic board with two 2,3 GHz 970MP prozessors would be my dream G5. It should be operable, but has anybody ever build such a machine?

Tesselator
Jun 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
I saw two in the used shop the other day. Right next to a Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 (4-core) The Intel mac was 170,000 (about $1,700) and the two G5's were 230,000 and 210,000. I was kinda surprised. I'd sell it if I were you. Preferably well before snow leopard releases in October.

bozz2006
Jun 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
The G5s cost more than the mac pro? That's strange.

surflordca
Jun 17, 2009, 10:26 AM
The G5s cost more than the mac pro? That's strange.

Yes but the G5 is not Intel if I am correct. Once Snow Leopard is released in Sept. there will be next to no market for the G5.

bozz2006
Jun 17, 2009, 10:32 AM
That's correct. I am surprised that a powerpc dual core machine running at a slower clock would be sold for more than a quad core intel machine, even before snow leopard.

Tesselator
Jun 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
That's correct. I am surprised that a powerpc dual core machine running at a slower clock would be sold for more than a quad core intel machine, even before snow leopard.

Are there quad core G5's? Maybe they were quads too. I know nothing about G5. Apple's PPC machines were of zero interest to me.

gugucom
Jun 17, 2009, 11:01 AM
Are there quad core G5's? Maybe they were quads too. I know nothing about G5. Apple's PPC machines were of zero interest to me.

Apple used PPC970MP processors with two cores for about 12 months in 2005 and 2006. They had 2,0, 2,3 and 2,5 GHz versions. Only the 2,5 unit had two processors and that had liquid cooling which wasn't really reliable. The 2,3 version only had 1 processor. I always wondered how a quad with two 2,3 dual cores would work.

I'm not sure that G5 prices will significantly fall, but MacPro1,1 could perhaps remain more solid than otherwise. It is amazing how much value the early Mac Pros have retained. They are very difficult to find in auctions and you have to be lucky to get a 2,66 quad under 1400€ in Europe.

Eric S.
Jun 17, 2009, 11:02 AM

Yes, two dual-core G5 cpus:

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-g5-quad.html

300D
Jun 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
A quad logic board with two 2,3 GHz 970MP prozessors would be my dream G5. It should be operable, but has anybody ever build such a machine?

I'd like to see how a quad 2.5 performs with the air cooled heatsinks from a dual CPU model.

Dr.Pants
Jun 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
The Fixit Powerstation has the same processors as the G5 and is air-cooled, but also similarly priced (around $1200 - what the G5 quads sell for on FleaBay). If I could get my hands on the heatsink, I would replace it, but I can't find out who/what/where makes them! And personally, I would pay $100 for that heatsink! I know its daylight robbery, but a replacement would mean I could let my G5 render and I wouldn't have to check back every few minutes on its temps...

nanofrog
Jun 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
The Fixit Powerstation has the same processors as the G5 and is air-cooled, but also similarly priced (around $1200 - what the G5 quads sell for on FleaBay). If I could get my hands on the heatsink, I would replace it, but I can't find out who/what/where makes them! And personally, I would pay $100 for that heatsink! I know its daylight robbery, but a replacement would mean I could let my G5 render and I wouldn't have to check back every few minutes on its temps...
It would have been custom for Apple, but MacPalace.com (http://www.macpalace.com/Scripts/default.asp) deals in replacement parts, and might have them (multiple parts by description, so exact P/N would make life much easier). :)

Good Luck. :D

Duff-Man
Jun 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
Duff-Man says...I had the dual 2.5 G5 and sold it finally just a couple months ago. I got a lot of good years from it but it was time for a new desktop and with a big move happening it seemed practical to sell and buy new upon arrival at the new place.

The writing is definitely on the wall for the old PPC technology and you're going to see more and more stuff be "intel only" so I'd be inclined to say you're better off selling the G5....oh yeah!

nanofrog
Jun 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
Duff-Man says...I had the dual 2.5 G5 and sold it finally just a couple months ago. I got a lot of good years from it but it was time for a new desktop and with a big move happening it seemed practical to sell and buy new upon arrival at the new place.

The writing is definitely on the wall for the old PPC technology and you're going to see more and more stuff be "intel only" so I'd be inclined to say you're better off selling the G5....oh yeah!
PPC's still have their uses (peripheral devices such as RAID controllers), but their days as primary CPU's for computers is gone. :eek: ;) They had a good run though. :D :p

Tesselator
Jun 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ah, thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!

Apple used PPC970MP processors with two cores for about 12 months in 2005 and 2006. They had 2,0, 2,3 and 2,5 GHz versions. Only the 2,5 unit had two processors and that had liquid cooling which wasn't really reliable. The 2,3 version only had 1 processor. I always wondered how a quad with two 2,3 dual cores would work.

I'm not sure that G5 prices will significantly fall, but MacPro1,1 could perhaps remain more solid than otherwise. It is amazing how much value the early Mac Pros have retained. They are very difficult to find in auctions and you have to be lucky to get a 2,66 quad under 1400€ in Europe.

I agree. But it's quite good for us MP owners. ;) It's not really so surprising to me though. I mean there's such a tiny tiny difference between the 2006 Mac Pros and the 2009 ones. Especially if you consider the various upgrade paths. So to me it just means that people are awake to the "real value" of the various models.

Yes, two dual-core G5 cpus:

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-g5-quad.html

Kewl! :) Thanks man!

PhixionFilms
Jun 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
id sell it dude. i just did.

Dr.Pants
Jun 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
In case you didn't get it from the signature, I own a G5... I bought it recently. Silly me! I guess its just a slight bias to towers away from AIO units. The only thing is that I'm consistently worried about G5 leaks. As I posted earlier, I wanted to replace the heatsinks to something air-cooled, and its been keeping me awake at night as a drearily wake up every so often to check if the temperatures haven't gone off the chart, or if it has shut down (temperature monitor safeties).

So, I think I'll take the blood-pressure-reducing route and if the G5 leaks, its time to upgrade and then I can play with the innards... Or I will replace the heatsinks once I have upgraded to a MP, and no longer really need the G5 for my main machine. Its nice, but I don't think I could live with the downtime. :p Plus, more G5 horror stories, I've heard that one could ruin the processors if they are extracted wrong! :eek:

Edit - posted while very tired. I did exaggerate slightly on the above, but the point remains the same.

So, to bottom line it - sell the liquid-cooled one. The air-cooled won't have as much power, but will last significantly longer then the liquid-cooled variety.

Tesselator
Jun 18, 2009, 01:51 AM
In case you didn't get it from the signature, I own a G5... I bought it recently. Silly me! I guess its just a slight bias to towers away from AIO units. The only thing is that I'm consistently worried about G5 leaks. As I posted earlier, I wanted to replace the heatsinks to something air-cooled, and its been keeping me awake at night as a drearily wake up every so often to check if the temperatures haven't gone off the chart, or if it has shut down (temperature monitor safeties).

You're worried about leaks?

Replace the fluid with something that doesn't conduct.

Dr.Pants
Jun 18, 2009, 03:12 AM
I guess I put it in too draconian of a manner - I don't render on it too much. Its just that I've swallowed the paranoia, that's all. I actually don't worry about it too much.

I would replace the liquid with something non-conductive, I'll look into it. Distilled water might work, but its all about choosing a compound with a similar heat capacity; if its a really corrosive aqueous solution, distilled water won't have a problem, but there's a bunch of other figures that need to be taken into account, such as heat capacity and thermal expansion.

nanofrog
Jun 18, 2009, 03:17 AM
I guess I put it in too draconian of a manner - I don't render on it too much. Its just that I've swallowed the paranoia, that's all. I actually don't worry about it too much.

I would replace the liquid with something non-conductive, I'll look into it. Distilled water might work, but its all about choosing a compound with a similar heat capacity; if its a really corrosive aqueous solution, distilled water won't have a problem, but there's a bunch of other figures that need to be taken into account, such as heat capacity and thermal expansion.
Take a look at silicone oil. ;) It's been used for this very purpose. :)

Dr.Pants
Jun 18, 2009, 03:30 AM
Take a look at silicone oil. ;) It's been used for this very purpose. :)

Cripes Nano!

Do you have any links? Google is not being kind with this subject (On the G5 or for computer cooling in general)... Or do you have personal experience? :D

I would read the scientific papers on the subject, but I don't have access to my university account atm.

California
Jun 18, 2009, 03:40 AM
I would not worry about the leaks. Apple pretty much will fix them for free for you. They fixed my Quad G5. (Need to change my sig because I sold it).

I'm running the 2.3ghz dual core and just got the 2.5 dual processor, pcix machine. The 2.5ghz dual processor is faster CPU than the 2.3 dual core, but an older machine.

I've owned about five or six of these G5's now and you have to do three things IMHO...

1. Make sure your hd is brand new. HDs are freaky when old or failing in G5's hard to diagnose.

2. Set your power settings off of automatic. I think I set them to highest. This overcomes the on and off again fan action. My G5 right now is completely QUIET, as was my Quad, because of this. Also make sure your power supply is plugged into a good stable surge protector.

3. Leopard runs better than Tiger for me. Don't know why.

I'm selling the 2.5ghz dual processor to someone who wants it for video editing. It is tricked out with a lot of extras from a director who owned it.

I've never had a Mac Pro. They are just too expensive for me to consider. My 2.3ghz has 11 gigs of ram and the Quadro 512mb card, so am very happy.

California
Jun 18, 2009, 03:43 AM
I'd like to see how a quad 2.5 performs with the air cooled heatsinks from a dual CPU model.

That is an interesting idea, but I think your fan action would get very loud.

Tesselator
Jun 18, 2009, 04:41 AM
Cripes Nano!

Do you have any links? Google is not being kind with this subject (On the G5 or for computer cooling in general)... Or do you have personal experience? :D

I would read the scientific papers on the subject, but I don't have access to my university account atm.

There was an automobile finishing product they used to advertise on late night TV in the 80's that was basically 100% silicon oil. Part of the 10min sales blurb was to submerge an open unboxed television while it was playing in a glass tank of the stuff. :D

It's about the same consistency as water too by watching the bubbles, so the pumps won't be stressed more than normal either. :)

nanofrog
Jun 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
Cripes Nano!

Just search Silicon Oil. ;)

Here's a potential source (http://www.chemistrystore.com/search.cgi?keywords=silicon+oil).
It's about the same consistency as water too by watching the bubbles, so the pumps won't be stressed more than normal either. :)
Yup. It's thin, conducts heat well, electrically non conductive, and non flammable as well. :)

Mineral oil has also been used, but is a little thicker. Given the smallish pumps in the G5 (from what I can tell from photo's), the silicon oil would be easier on them.

zmttoxics
Jun 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
PPC may be dead for Apple, but its far from dead. Keep the machine and put Linux on it. Would make a decent server.

Tesselator
Jun 18, 2009, 09:02 PM
Mineral oil has also been used, but is a little thicker. Given the smallish pumps in the G5 (from what I can tell from photo's), the silicon oil would be easier on them.

There's a demo on tom's hardware somewhere of submerged cooling where they take a very overclocked PC and run it in a fish-tank full of a certain kind of salad oil. :D

Pretty funny stuff!

nanofrog
Jun 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
There's a demo on tom's hardware somewhere of submerged cooling where they take a very overclocked PC and run it in a fish-tank full of a certain kind of salad oil. :D

Pretty funny stuff!
I've seen this with mineral oil, but not with salad dressing! :eek: ;) Swapping cards... What a mess. :D :p

Tucom
Jul 22, 2011, 05:47 PM

I know this thread is old, so sorry for that in retrospect (not really, but just sayin) but Im really curious as to what this Fixit PowerStation is, Google isn't producing any results.

Anyone know anything about?

Found some info -

http://cruxppc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=342

Nvm, think I found it: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Quadcore-PowerPC-workstation-runs-Linux/

Woooah, an air cooled Quad G5, in an IBM-esque chasse! Pretty epic, and in a diff kinda way, pretty, haha.