Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Will the new WhiteBook 2.13 support 8 GB of RAM?

If not, will Snow Leopard enable it to support 8 GB of RAM?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The maximum RAM capacity has nothing to do with the OS, as Leopard is already able to address more than 8GB today, even Tiger was on older PowerMac G5s.

It's a matter of the chipset used, and if Apple has used one with the maximum capacity of 4GB, it will stay 4GB till death does you apart.

It's also to distinguish the MBs form the new MBPs.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
But going back to the question, I think the answer is no...

By the way, how about unibody Macbook (non-pro)? I think someone claimed that unibody MBP 15" can take 6GB even though Apple said they can only take 4GB, is this right? If so, would the unibody macbook does this too?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
But going back to the question, I think the answer is no...

By the way, how about unibody Macbook (non-pro)? I think someone claimed that unibody MBP 15" can take 6GB even though Apple said they can only take 4GB, is this right? If so, would the unibody macbook does this too?

The unibodies can use 6GB of RAM, but this stops it working in Dual Channel mode, which is much faster.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I don't really see much of a point in putting that much ram in a WhiteBook...you're don't have the processing power to even have that many applications open at once. Not to mention that 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs are virtually nowhere to be found....and when you do find them, they're way too expensive.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
The max in the unibody macbook is 8 Gb, source: ifixit.com
It only requires a little firmware update from Apple, maybe it will be included in Snow Leopard so the Unibody MacBook users can get 8 Gb of ram when it gets cheaper. But the chipset does support up to 8 Gb of ram.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
It only requires a little firmware update from Apple, maybe it will be included in Snow Leopard so the Unibody MacBook users can get 8 Gb of ram when it gets cheaper. But the chipset does support up to 8 Gb of ram.

Is the same chipset being used in the WhiteBook 2.13?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The unibodies can use 6GB of RAM, but this stops it working in Dual Channel mode, which is much faster.
Not necessarily.

Almost every benchmark I've seen where more RAM is beneficial (meaning 2GB would be a limiting factor, but 3GB would not be a limiting factor) has the effect of more RAM > dual-channel mode.

If you're using all 4GB of RAM, or close to it, you'll get better performance by having 6GB in single channel mode.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land

Can you link me to that page? AFAIK ifixit says that it support only up to 4gb? http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/MacBook_Unibody#Section_Upgrades

Or.. are we talking about different laptops? there's only one iteration of unibody macbook so I can't be wrong, can I? =)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Can you link me to that page? AFAIK ifixit says that it support only up to 4gb? http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/MacBook_Unibody#Section_Upgrades

Or.. are we talking about different laptops? there's only one iteration of unibody macbook so I can't be wrong, can I? =)

They officially support 4GB. Then do support 6GB no issue. The chipset and OS support 8GB, but the firmware limits this to create an artificial divide between the regular MB and the MB Pro.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
They officially support 4GB. Then do support 6GB no issue. The chipset and OS support 8GB, but the firmware limits this to create an artificial divide between the regular MB and the MB Pro.

Really, the firmware limits it? Then at one point (or with a hack) unibody macbook will be able to support 8gb too? where did you get this from?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008

If that is the case, what would you guess is the likelihood of Snow Leopard allowing all 8 GB to be addressed?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Really, the firmware limits it? Then at one point (or with a hack) unibody macbook will be able to support 8gb too? where did you get this from?

Go look at the 9400M chipset specs. 8GB. In the MBP it's still the 9400M chipset and 8GB isn't a problem so long as you're above the 2.4ghz model.

10.5 has been shown to work with 8GB in the MBP and the MacPro, so it's not a software issue. What else is left other than firmware?

If that is the case, what would you guess is the likelihood of Snow Leopard allowing all 8 GB to be addressed?

Hopefully that'll do it. Really, it won't affect me as 2GB is fine for my day-to-day, and 2x4GB is pretty $$$ still. Again though, if it's a firmware limitation, that is separate from the OS installation.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Go look at the 9400M chipset specs. 8GB. In the MBP it's still the 9400M chipset and 8GB isn't a problem so long as you're above the 2.4ghz model.

Is this what you'rea talking about: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400m_g_us.html ? I don't see any 8gb mentioned in there...

And I have the 2.0Ghz model anyway so probably it won't work for me? I thought the 2.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz model uses the same chipset.

10.5 has been shown to work with 8GB in the MBP and the MacPro, so it's not a software issue. What else is left other than firmware?

But having 8GB work in MBP doesn't neccesarily mean it works in unibody MB, right? MacPro can theoretically support 32GB anyway isn't it?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Is this what you'rea talking about: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400m_g_us.html ? I don't see any 8gb mentioned in there...

And I have the 2.0Ghz model anyway so probably it won't work for me? I thought the 2.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz model uses the same chipset.

But having 8GB work in MBP doesn't neccesarily mean it works in unibody MB, right? MacPro can theoretically support 32GB anyway isn't it?

That page you linked to use to show RAM support I thought, perhaps not. Either way, all the MB and MBP models now use the 9400M chipset. Granted, it also shows 3.0Gbps SATA interface, but we now know the 13" MBP doesn't have that :p

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
That page you linked to use to show RAM support I thought, perhaps not. Either way, all the MB and MBP models now use the 9400M chipset. Granted, it also shows 3.0Gbps SATA interface, but we now know the 13" MBP doesn't have that :p

Apple themself said that unibody MB can only support up to 4GB.. (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500), but I suppose it might really be 6GB or 8GB. I'll ask a genius next time I go to the apple store.

BTW on the other hand, is there any limitation on hard disk? Can I just pop whatever fits in my unibody MB? 500gb, 1tb, 512gb ssd, and so on will fit? I'm talking about products that might not have existed when Apple released this laptop...

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i don't understand why people buy the computer at the very bottom of the totem pole and then want a pro upgrade like 8GB available.

if you REALLY need to utilize up to 8GB of RAM, then don't get a computer that has a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo in it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple themself said that unibody MB can only support up to 4GB.. (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500), but I suppose it might really be 6GB or 8GB. I'll ask a genius next time I go to the apple store.

BTW on the other hand, is there any limitation on hard disk? Can I just pop whatever fits in my unibody MB? 500gb, 1tb, 512gb ssd, and so on will fit? I'm talking about products that might not have existed when Apple released this laptop...
48-bit LBA has been standard for years now. The Quicksilver 2002 and original iMac G4 had it.

i don't understand why people buy the computer at the very bottom of the totem pole and then want a pro upgrade like 8GB available.

if you REALLY need to utilize up to 8GB of RAM, then don't get a computer that has a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo in it.
RAM is cheap and time isn't.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Btw I have just realised that Apple sells ram for unibody MB: http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_13_2_0_MB_G5

There is a really easy explanation for this. Size of memory and hard disk doubles every year or so, yes? Their price drops every now and then, right? Then why not wait until it's cheap before buying big HDD and RAM?

We can live with 2GB and 160GB for now, but how long will it last?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

Plenty of people around here have been able to setup 6GB without issue on the Unibody models. As for the HDD, I think the upper limit of 48-bit LBA like Eidorian mentioned is something way up there, like 137 petabytes or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.