PDA

View Full Version : Kid drinks chemical on a dare


virividox
May 18, 2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/05/18/texas.chemical.ap/index.html

this is one stupid kid, if he died he would get a darwin award

Sparky's
May 18, 2004, 04:35 PM
Remembering my early years (barely) of 7-10 I recall doing very stupid things along these lines. Kids are uneducated and can't fathom the consequences of their actions. I ran home one day hot as he** (13 years old, the day was at least 100) and grabbed what I thought was a cold "jar" of water on the kitchen counter, and proceeded to gulp down a great deal of it before I realized it was bleach :eek:

Drinking unknown chemicals from a School Lab though has got to take the Darwin award anyway!! :(

caveman_uk
May 18, 2004, 04:37 PM
What a moron...but no doubt he or his parents will claim it's the schools fault or the manufacturer of the chemical concerned.

pyrotoaster
May 18, 2004, 04:47 PM
It's one thing to do that if you're a young kid, but he was freakin' junior! I know some stupid juniors at my high school, but none are that stupid.

Shame they don't give Darwin Awards to minors... (then again, 17 might be old enough for an honorable mention, at least).

Chip NoVaMac
May 18, 2004, 05:22 PM
Man, lets hope that the chemicals don't make him any more stupid. Otherwise he will end up as the ward of the state.

But please note what state the kid does come from :D

grapes911
May 18, 2004, 05:32 PM
some people are so . . . stupid

Makosuke
May 18, 2004, 07:34 PM
Shame they don't give Darwin Awards to minors... (then again, 17 might be old enough for an honorable mention, at least).Who said he is 17? Even though he's a junior, if he's dumb enough to chug a random chemical from the chem lab he could be 20 and still in high school.

It's sad when something like this happens to anybody, but frankly it just doesn't get much dumber than that, and the kid was old enough to know better.

King Cobra
May 18, 2004, 08:27 PM
I'll have to remember that when going into Chem Lab 1 in the fall: Wear goggles, wear an apron, and don't drink unknown chemicals. Heh, while I'm at it, I'll try to remember that for Chem Lab 2. I wouldn't have to remember only if my college accepted my lab credits from AP Chemistry. Bah.

Sun Baked
May 18, 2004, 08:31 PM
I hope he won something for that stupid stunt. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11434&stc=1

windowsblowsass
May 18, 2004, 08:38 PM
I hope he won something for that stupid stunt. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11434&stc=1
its even worse because it was a dare and not like a bet were ou get p[aid but in a dare you risk the incredible humiliation of being "the p*ssy wouldnt chug chemicals" :rolleyes:

rainman::|:|
May 18, 2004, 09:03 PM
i drank paint thinner as a child. it was unintentional. dad stopped putting paint thinner in mt. dew bottles very quickly after that.

paul

Dippo
May 18, 2004, 09:19 PM
I guess this kid was absent the day they handed out brains. :rolleyes:

Seriously, he should be glad that he isn't dead.

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
im waiting for something like that to happen at good ol' MW. it's only a matter of time. some people in my school are that stupid, which still shocks me to this day.

PlaceofDis
May 18, 2004, 10:15 PM
story was posted earlier if i am correct Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72221)

michaelrjohnson
May 18, 2004, 10:54 PM
unreal.

GeeYouEye
May 18, 2004, 11:07 PM
"Little Billy took a drink, and now he drinks no more.
For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4"

First thing we ever learned in Chem.

Calvinatir
May 19, 2004, 12:39 AM
Almost too bad he didnt die...so he wouldn't BREED

TimDaddy
May 19, 2004, 03:47 AM
I have an uncle who is an alcoholic. He had some mugs into which he would poor an entire can of beer, and then give the empty can to his son to play with! I'm not sure how old my cousin was at the time, but I think under age 5. One day, he grabbed a slightly smaller mug. I guess as he got drunk, he forgot that the mug didn't hold the entire can of beer. (Not that getting drunk while caring for a young child is a good idea in the first place.) So, he was pooring his mug and then handing his child a couple of sips of beer. When his wife came in that day, both he and the child were drunk! His wife finally decided to invest in day care. My uncle hasn't drunk in, I think, over ten years. All the children involved survived, and two of three are living productive, sober lives.

My post is sort of relevent, anyway.

ThomasJefferson
May 19, 2004, 11:52 AM
Mom once decided to put borax in a jar that was shaped just like the one she used for sugar. I made Kool-Aid. Insert Bad Scene. At least I didn't do it on purpose.

They grew up during the Great Depression and reuse everything. Mom will save 30 bottles of free shampoo from various hotels and then add it to a squirt bottle, just to avoid throwing away the bottle.

To this day, I rarely add sugar, salt, pepper or -anything- to food while visiting my parents. I even bring my own shampoo. I caught her with this shower-wall-soap cleaner stuff in an unmarked bottle in the shower one time.

Darwin award waiting to happen.

parrothead
May 19, 2004, 03:51 PM
"Little Billy took a drink, and now he drinks no more.
For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4"

First thing we ever learned in Chem.

The version I learned was "John the chemist will chem no more, for what he thought was H20 was really H2SO4." That always stuck with me. Actually, you all would be surprised to learn that this sort of thing happens more frequently than you would think. Mostly it happens when someone thinks the glass of liquid is the water they brought in with them or something. That is why one of the hard and fast rules in a lab is no food or drinks.

In grad school I was working at a field station with several other students and professors when a Darwin level incident happened. The supply of beer/liquor had run out and the idiots decided they werent nearly drunk enough. Since we were on an island and there was no way to get more alcohol, one of the Professors decided to raid the lab. He got a bottle of 100% pure ethyl alcohol. What he stupidly forgot is that they add methaline to it so people dont drink it. Anyway, he and several students mixed it with some fruit drink concentrate and proceeded to get very very drunk. They also got VERY sick, and there was no way to medevac them from this remote island. They were dang lucky that they didn't die or go blind or something. I am sure anyone in the sciences or medical profession (WDlove) could explain further on how dangerous it is to drink methyl alcohol.

homerjward
May 19, 2004, 07:44 PM
lmao! leave it to stupid texans (j/k im from tx) to do stupid stuff. my friend spilled HCl on his hands a couple months ago, but it was an accident, not intentionally drinking it! jesus, i wish he had died. actually, if he lives no one would breed with them b/c he'd probably be stupid enough to tell a chick about the incident on like the 1st date. *"one time when i was in high school, i drank acid on a dare"--girl scoots as far away as possible*. umm...ill pay someone 20 dollars to drink some ammonia if they provide a video. just post a link to it in this thread and ill paypal ya

G4scott
May 20, 2004, 12:59 AM
Someone at my old high school (also in Texas, but really, we're not all that bad...) decided it would be fun to steal some random chemical from a chemistry lab. Well, he had it in his front pocket, and it somehow opened up, and started reacting with sweat, or something, but he ended up burning his "junk". Needless to say, his parents sued the school district (not sure if they won, but judging from where I'm from, they probably did.) I still think it's funny that this idiot won't ever have kids...

And then there are honest to goodness lab accidents... I have a friend at my university who accidentally splashed some sulfuric acid (that's what he said it was...) and a small drop landed on his tongue. He had to sit with his tongue under running water for something like 15 minutes. Needless to say, he'll be much careful next time.

MongoTheGeek
May 20, 2004, 06:48 AM
"Little Billy took a drink, and now he drinks no more.
For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4"

First thing we ever learned in Chem.

I heard a different version with a different moral.

Johnny was a chemist
But Johnny is no more
Johnny *added* H20
to H2SO4.

this was a reminder of acid to water not water to acid.

tpjunkie
May 20, 2004, 10:25 AM
What he stupidly forgot is that they add methaline to it so people dont drink it. Anyway, he and several students mixed it with some fruit drink concentrate and proceeded to get very very drunk. They also got VERY sick, and there was no way to medevac them from this remote island. They were dang lucky that they didn't die or go blind or something. I am sure anyone in the sciences or medical profession (WDlove) could explain further on how dangerous it is to drink methyl alcohol.

Funny thing about that, when my mom was at medical school, the students (and possibly some of the professors) had a party and made punch and took shots of 100% pure ethanol. Somehow I think that the ethanol they had was probably pure, as she only said that everyone got really drunk, really fast, and didn't mention any blindness or sickness.

Giaguara
May 20, 2004, 11:10 AM
uh. dumb kid. i mean, dumb teen.

keysersoze
May 20, 2004, 12:08 PM
I ran home one day hot as he** (13 years old, the day was at least 100) and grabbed what I thought was a cold "jar" of water on the kitchen counter, and proceeded to gulp down a great deal of it before I realized it was bleach:


HOLY *&@#!



:eek: