PDA

View Full Version : Ode to my faithful 17" PowerBook

Heb1228
Jun 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
With my 17" MBP arriving within an hour or two, I thought I'd take a minute to let everyone know why its replacing the greatest laptop ever manufactured.

Yes, I know my new machine will be much faster - but speed is here one minute, gone the next. In two years, the MBP will be average. So I'm not talking in terms of pure speed here. I got this PowerBook in 2003 and it was light years ahead of other laptops of its time.

1. It weighed about 7 pounds at a time when PC notebooks with 17' screens weighted at least 10 or 11 pounds.

2. It has almost every conceivable I/O option you could want. USB 2, FW400, FW800, Gigabit Ethernet, PC Card, Digital/Analog Audio in/out, Modem (still useful for the occasional fax I need to send), real DVI(!) with VGA converter cable in box, S-Video/Composite out(! - actually has been very useful 4 or 5 times when nothing else would have worked). A superdrive when dvd-burners were optional. Wireless networking when that was optional. Bluetooth when no PC in the store had the capability.

3. 1.33 GHz was screaming fast at the time.

4. People could not believe a laptop could be that thin. And then when I opened the screen they would just say, "wow..." Even the unibody MBs and MBPs are a great design - but they aren't visually much of a step forward from this laptop (minus the color change around the screen and keyboard). And this was six years ago. It was just way ahead of its time, IMO.

5. Great aluminum design when all PCs looked like plastic garbage.

6. Backlit keyboard was unheard of - like something out of star trek or something when teachers would turn off the lights in class for a presentation. Even PC geeks had to admit it was cool.

7. Even six years later, this machine is very capable. I edited a 3.5 minute video for youtube in HD earlier this week. Sure rendering is slow, but for a six year old machine, it holds its own.

Its been maxxed out on RAM and the hard drive upgraded from 80 to 120 to 250GB. But its never caused a problem. Never had a component fail. Only done one OS reinstall in 6 years (recent to get a printer driver working) with regular upgrade installs from 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5.

This new MBP has a tough act to follow. I'm almost sorry I won't be carrying this PB around anymore. Kind of feel like I'm betraying the many years of good service.

pik.
Jun 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
what a glorius mac...

the powerbooks and the classic macbook pros have something that the unibodies do not: soul...

aluminum cosmetic start/your engine button...

Macbook Pro letter on the screen like a mirror...

keys more smouth and responsive...

display ergonomy...(no glossy)

timeless design...

even the aluminum smells better and has e pure deep color...
the hole thing is more a friend in the journey of life....

the new ones are more machines...
of course more powerfull more solid...but they have no carracter...
no flair...
i cannot immagine myself giving a name on a unibody...
both my powerbook/macbook pro classic have...

mikes70mustang
Jun 17, 2009, 05:02 PM
what a glorius mac...

the powerbooks and the classic macbook pros have something that the unibodies do not: soul...

aluminum cosmetic start/your engine button...

Macbook Pro letter on the screen like a mirror...

keys more smouth and responsive...

display ergonomy...(no glossy)

timeless design...

even the aluminum smells better and has e pure deep color...
the hole thing is more a friend in the journey of life....

the new ones are more machines...
of course more powerfull more solid...but they have no carracter...
no flair...
i cannot immagine myself giving a name on a unibody...
both my powerbook/macbook pro classic have...

they also lack the ability to take a hit. Ive seen some PBs with some massive dents and bends, yet it still works.

sukanas
Jun 17, 2009, 05:05 PM
you guys sound like a bunch of mac cults...

pik.
Jun 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
maybe i sound ridiculus also...:p

but I can t help it sorry!!!!!:D

sukanas
Jun 17, 2009, 05:22 PM
lol, no hate intended.. just thought it sounded funny
nonetheless macs are the bomb computer

Carl Abudephane
Jun 17, 2009, 05:26 PM

JAGMAN
Jun 17, 2009, 07:34 PM
Uh...Everything that the original poster said +1.

Saying goodbye to my 6.5 year old PowerBook G4 1Ghz. Awesome machine used everyday for 6.5 years.

Typing on it now.
It's got all of the above mentioned specs minus USB 2.0.

Currently at 2GB Ram and a 160GB 5400rpm HD.

I hope my new 15" 3.06 500GB 7200 rpm machine is this relevant in 6.5 years.

kockgunner
Jun 17, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I watched the keynote for the 17" Powerbook and I thought "Wow, that thing was way ahead of its time." The new unibodies are nice looking machines, and I envy them sometimes, but I still like my classic MBP. The more I think about it, the more I hope my GPU doesn't die because I like the old MBP/PBs so much better. You're right, the old laptops have character and 'soul'. The keyboards are wayyy better too. I wish I got the matte version though so I can say I have one of the last matte display laptops.

Jiten
Jun 17, 2009, 09:56 PM
Glad to see you made full and productive use of your good ole Powerbook! I'm also a person who tends to use his Mac for years before upgrading. So I also know the bittersweet feeling when upgrading a new computer and leaving your old buddy behind. :)

Character or flair is what you make of it. Its all manifestations of our subjective minds. :)

harcosparky
Jun 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
I loved my 15" G4 Powerbook.

I felt so depressed the day I sold it that the next week while I was on vacation with my family I searched Craigs List to find another one! :lol:

You are right, in that era NOTHING anyone else was made as good as that Powerbook.

Even today, looking around Best Buy nothing can come close to the new MBP I have.

JamesGorman
Jun 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
Those powerbooks look like great machines, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Its too bad I'm only 17 and only recently came aboard to mac. Had I been a few years older I'm sure I would have loved to have one of those machines.

She
Jun 17, 2009, 11:51 PM
I know how you feel.. am typing this on my soon to be 5 year old 12" PB. I'm supposed to be getting a new 13" MBP this weekend but part of me isn't quite ready for the change yet

I don't like the glossy screen on the MBPs.. and I don't like how the keys are spaced apart. Plus I'm so used to looking at a 12" screen that the 13" just doesnt look "right". pretty pathetic huh :(

Ronix
Jun 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
Love my 17" PowerBook but its seems is if I can't even give it away. I have been trying to sell it for a while now and people bite but then never call back. I would do FLEABAY but that has gone to.... well you know.

mikes70mustang
Jun 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
Those powerbooks look like great machines, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Its too bad I'm only 17 and only recently came aboard to mac. Had I been a few years older I'm sure I would have loved to have one of those machines.

Thats why the classic mbps are sorta like the perfect mix, sorta PB but alot new

kockgunner
Jun 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
Love my 17" PowerBook but its seems is if I can't even give it away. I have been trying to sell it for a while now and people bite but then never call back. I would do FLEABAY but that has gone to.... well you know.

I would be glad to take it off your hands :D. I recently came aboard the Mac side also. I was wondering why the laptops from a few years ago looked the same for so long :p. I didn't know I was actually looking at a Powerbook back then which turned into a Macbook Pro somewhere along the way. I would have loved one of those 12" PB G4s. I drool every time I see one of those which is unfortunately not often.

JamesGorman
Jun 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thats why the classic mbps are sorta like the perfect mix, sorta PB but alot new

True enough, I like a lot of the notebooks that apple makes. I mean of course they piss me off sometimes with the lack of included accessories or the lack of certain ports that come standard on other laptops :p. But to be honest, I rarely need those ports so its not a HUGE deal lol. IMHO, I like how the new MBP's look though. They seem very elegant to me.