Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'm attempting to create a USB flash drive boot disk for DOS in order to get my Mac Pro running DOS to flash my graphics card. However, nothing seems to be working.

I'm currently using HP's flash disk utility to do the formatting/creation of the boot disk, and have tried FreeDOS (ODIN) and several other flavours of DOS to try and get this working (all this is done in Vista64) - the stick seems to work fine according to HP's utility, and when booted into OS X I can see command.com etc as I should. Essentially, I don't see why it isn't working.

What isn't working is actual boot. OS X and Vista don't see the USB drive as an option in Startup Disk, and holding down at boot simply displays my OS X and Vista installs.

Anybody with ideas? I'm totally stumped.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm attempting to create a USB flash drive boot disk for DOS in order to get my Mac Pro running DOS to flash my graphics card. However, nothing seems to be working.

I'm currently using HP's flash disk utility to do the formatting/creation of the boot disk, and have tried FreeDOS (ODIN) and several other flavours of DOS to try and get this working (all this is done in Vista64) - the stick seems to work fine according to HP's utility, and when booted into OS X I can see command.com etc as I should. Essentially, I don't see why it isn't working.

What isn't working is actual boot. OS X and Vista don't see the USB drive as an option in Startup Disk, and holding down at boot simply displays my OS X and Vista installs.

Anybody with ideas? I'm totally stumped.

I don't think EFI currently supports flash drive boot, as it's also next to impossible to boot off a flash drive to install Windows. My guess is this is the same for DOS.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Hm. EFI does support USB boot, however it has to be off a GUID HFS+ partition - ie: not a DOS MBR. Got to use a CD :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.