PDA

View Full Version : G5 Hard Drive Upgrade

MacBoyX
May 18, 2004, 11:47 PM
Hi All,

I need some advice and a question answered.

I have a Dual 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac. I have ONE 160GB SATA HD. I had a 60 GB External FW HD hooked up but it bit the dust today. So my dilemna...do I get another external FW HD? or get a second internal drive.
It would cost about the same to do either...

However, if I go internal...
Do the drive have to match? do I have to get a 160GB? Could I get an 80? or a 250?
What's my worry abt heat with an extra drive? I've heard some rumors but I want to know.

Thanks in advance.

macboyX

Grimace
May 19, 2004, 12:08 AM
They don't have to be matched - you can put whatever you want in there. Unless you want to take the drive somewhere, get an internal - much greater capacity/speed for the same $$$.

mnkeybsness
May 19, 2004, 12:29 AM
if i were you, i would get the same drive that you have and set up a raid configuration to make yourself one giant drive.

but for sure at least get an internal unless you need to transfer files from one computer to another easily.

MacBoyX
May 19, 2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I need an RAID array but I at least will get an internal drive. I already have an iPod and a portable 20Gig Firewire HD.

Thanks!

macboyX

neonart
May 19, 2004, 07:56 AM
I say get a 74GB Raptor as your OS and App drive and leave your 160 GB drive as your Data HD. You'll get screaming performance and still have the storage!

Do a Get Info about your drive now- you'll probably only have about 20-40 GB's used, unless you store all your junk on the dekstop or in your home folder.

denm316
May 19, 2004, 08:04 AM
If you get an internal, go as big as you can, I got a 250GB just because I didnt want to upgrade in another year.

And they do not have to match

MacBoyX
May 19, 2004, 12:13 PM
Again thanks for the advice.

I am using abt 50 gb of the 160GB. I found a identical drive to the one in my G5 for 127 on buy.com. I may go the RAID 1 route.

My other question tho is will I need to worry about heat in the G5 with adding a second drive. I swear somewhere I read about that being an issue with the thermostat?

thanks.

macboyX

FuzzyBallz
May 19, 2004, 01:34 PM
It may get warmer, but since you have a G5 w/ thermal controlled fans it's not really an issue.

Flynnstone
May 19, 2004, 02:44 PM
RAID 1 is striping I believe.
Faster Yes !
If a drive fails -> you are hooped :eek:

Rod Rod
May 19, 2004, 02:52 PM
as Fuzzy said, with all the controlled fans heat shouldn't be an issue, but according to this:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_drive_heat_tips.html#storytop

. . . lots of G5 HDs are dying from overheating because of the placement of the HD thermometer.

on the boot drive issue (WD 10k 74GB Raptor) read barefeats.com's assessment: http://barefeats.com/hard39.html . . . apparently it helps. it's not cheap though, because the same money or less gets you a 250GB 7200 rpm SATA drive.

musicpyrite
May 19, 2004, 03:22 PM
RAID 1 is striping I believe.
Faster Yes !
If a drive fails -> you are hooped :eek:

I thought RAID 1 was 2 or more HDs mirroring eachother, and a RAID 0 was striping.

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though)

tomf87
May 19, 2004, 04:50 PM
You're almost right.

RAID 1 is mirroring 2 drives together (not 2 or more).
RAID 0 is striping without parity (i.e. not fault tolerant) for 2 or more drives.

With either of the options the drives do not have to be identical. However, with RAID 1, the second drive must be bigger than the first drive. Of course, the space left over on the second drive is a waste.

Macmaniac
May 19, 2004, 08:17 PM
Just make sure its a SATA drive, drives for the G5 are very cheap these days, you can get a good Western Digital drive for $60 at a decent storage size, get a drive with a big memory buffer and a High RPM if you want really good performance.

FuzzyBallz
May 19, 2004, 08:42 PM
If you've decided to RAID the suckers, 0 (speed) or 1 (mirror), buy a 2nd HD that's identical to what's in your G5. Or if you want even faster speed, take out the HD in your G5 and put it in an external enclosure, then buy a pair of Western Digital Raptor. The 36.7GB or 74GB. The latter is quieter.

senseibiz
May 19, 2004, 08:59 PM
I purchased a 160 GB HD for my G5 also. I got it at Fry's Electronics for about $120.00. It was really easy to install. just insert into second bay, connect the cables, format HD and it works perfectly.

MacBoyX
May 20, 2004, 11:53 AM
Just make sure its a SATA drive, drives for the G5 are very cheap these days, you can get a good Western Digital drive for $60 at a decent storage size, get a drive with a big memory buffer and a High RPM if you want really good performance.

Again thanks for all the advice. To answer a few quesitons/points...

1. I am not lookin for more speed out of my drives, they run fast enuff.
2. I am going to get an IDENTICAL Seagate 160GB SATA150 HD.
3. I am going to do a RAID 1 (Mirroring of 2 DRIVES)

I found it at buy.com for 127.00 US. Not to shabby.

Thanks again :)

macboyX

Dual G5 GUNZ
Jun 10, 2004, 02:32 AM
FYI, this forum is probably dead but... the hard drive heat related issues have been fixed by Apple. ALSO.... if you are at all curious about getting 1 TERABYTE (technically, 1.6 terabytes is possible) of internal storage in your G5... go to http://www.wiebetech.com/products/G5Jam.html

for the love of ....macs.... people... use http://www.Pricegrabber.com!!!