PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Safari 4.0.1 Update

SFStateStudent
Jun 17, 2009, 02:36 PM
Requires a restart w/43.8MB

ruinfx
Jun 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
where are all those people from the java update thread trashing windows for having to be restarted every update lol?

downloading.

jon08
Jun 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hmm, and what does the update add/fix?

OllyW
Jun 17, 2009, 02:50 PM

This update addresses incompatibilities between Safari 4.0 and certain features in iPhoto '09, including Places and Facebook publishing.

xUKHCx
Jun 17, 2009, 02:51 PM

Not much really:

This update addresses incompatibilities between Safari 4.0 and certain features in iPhoto '09, including Places and Facebook publishing.

SFStateStudent
Jun 17, 2009, 02:56 PM
Yup, pretty small update....

jon08
Jun 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
Meh, I thought they reacted that quickly to our rants about the blue progress bar, tabs and what not...:p

gorjan
Jun 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
Small update but great! Now I can finally use Places without having to delete the plist after every restart (which is getting quite frequent lately)...

MacRumors
Jun 17, 2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/17/apple-releases-safari-4-0-1-update/)

Apple today released Safari 4.0.1, a minor update to Apple's Web browser, via Software Update. The update resolves several issues related to integration with iPhoto '09.This update addresses incompatibilities between Safari 4.0 and certain features in iPhoto '09, including Places and Facebook publishing.Safari 4.0.1 is not yet available through Apple's download page (http://support.apple.com/downloads).

The official public version of Safari 4 was released earlier this month (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/08/apple-releases-safari-4-for-mac-and-windows/), bringing a number of new features to the browser application, including speed increases, Top Sites, Full History Search, Cover Flow, and support for HTML 5 and advanced CSS Effects.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.1 Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/17/apple-releases-safari-4-0-1-update/)

g-7
Jun 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
Not much really:

In fact it is quite a lot for those that were affected. ;)

It fixes a very annoying problem with iPhoto. Since installing Safari 4, it was impossible to scroll the map in the Places view.
There is quite a long thread on this at Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2031107&start=0&tstart=0).

davidwarren
Jun 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
ah good, I had this problem with places and didn't know it was due to safari...

amac4me
Jun 17, 2009, 03:18 PM
Installed without any issues.

McShizzel
Jun 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Wow that update was released quickly.

notnek
Jun 17, 2009, 03:23 PM
there was also a bluetooth firmware update along with it.

This update provides bug fixes and better compatibility with the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard. It installs on all Macintosh systems with Bluetooth based on the Broadcom chipset.

jon08
Jun 17, 2009, 03:26 PM
Umm great, just updated my Safari along with the bluetooh firmware update, and now my EXPOSE doesn't work anymore!!! I had the bottom left corner set for Desktop and the upper right corner for All Windows...now neither works anymore! :mad:

Anyone else experienced this?? :confused:

EDIT: I just switched ExposÚ off and turned it on again, and it seems to be working again......

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
Update went well.

wardev
Jun 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
safari 4 now crashes after java update. can anyone help?

HyperZboy
Jun 17, 2009, 03:47 PM
So far so good...

Hopefully this means the end of my nearly 100 Safari 4.0 crashes on PowerPC Macs?

(is praying to god)

glasserp
Jun 17, 2009, 03:53 PM
a very welcomed update! just came across that Places bug a couple days ago, which was a little annoying.

Eidorian
Jun 17, 2009, 03:54 PM
I don't think it will fix Safari going poof from time to time in OS X.

nolanpa
Jun 17, 2009, 04:23 PM
anyone know if Safari 4 or 4.0.1 fixed the issue where Dreamweaver CS4 Live View would not work with Safari 4 Beta installed? had to revert to Safari 3

thx

skillwill
Jun 17, 2009, 06:57 PM
pretty pleased with this update, i use iphoto's facebook uploader a lot and since 4.0, it has been messing up very consistantly, deleting photos and not uploading ones I had asked it to upload ... definitely a good little fix but I can see why it would be frustrating for those the issue doesn't affect

windywoo
Jun 17, 2009, 07:04 PM
Waiting for update 4.02, return of tabs on top.

Ade-iMac-177
Jun 17, 2009, 07:24 PM
Waiting for update 4.02, return of tabs on top.

Yeah - we should at least have the choice - i got used to them there - god knows why they moved it back

nickXedge
Jun 17, 2009, 07:45 PM
I actually had a connection problem just two days ago trying to upload pictures in iPhoto '09 to Facebook. I assume this will fix it. Good things.

kas23
Jun 17, 2009, 07:50 PM
Wow that update was released quickly.

If it was preventing millions of people from properly using their beloved Facebook, I can see how this could spell huge problems for Apple. It was in their best interest to get this out their ASAP. People would have given up on Safari before giving up on Facebook.

naples98
Jun 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
This has not fixed my issues with iPhoto '09 talking to Facebook. Anyone else still having problems? :confused:

Correction: This does appear to have fixed my issues, it was just one folder that was getting hung up.

acurafan
Jun 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
where are all those people from the java update thread trashing windows for having to be restarted every update lol?

downloading.
werd. apple's just as bad. :p

sonictonic
Jun 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone know if many of my widgets won't break this time? I reverted back to Safari 3 after 4.0 made half of my widgets permanently frozen, even after trying numerous ways to get them back. No luck. So I'm kind of nervous to install this :(

Pooshka
Jun 17, 2009, 08:35 PM
Bah, no Safari update for those of us on Snow Leopard. :(

johan.k
Jun 17, 2009, 08:43 PM
The only thing, my faces no longer work like before. Even on Safari 4.0. Facebook and Apple always rock. Bravo guys.

Wish iCal and Address Book will work seamlessly like iPhoto. Do listen us - FB and Apple team!!!

bendejo
Jun 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah - we should at least have the choice - i got used to them there - god knows why they moved it back

I agree. I thought the Beta tab setup was much more intuitive and discrete. I realize that they must use the same amount of screen space, but having the tabs below the bookmarks bar feels like they are pushing down into the page content and taking up extra space.

Hrududu
Jun 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
So far so good...

Hopefully this means the end of my nearly 100 Safari 4.0 crashes on PowerPC Macs?

(is praying to god)
I haven't had any crashes on my PPC Macs, but 4.0 runs slow as hell and chews up a TON of processor on my Powerbook. I haven't even bothered to install it on my MacBook Pro yet.

Clix Pix
Jun 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Well, either the Safari 4.0.1 update or the Java one has screwed up the Upload applet in Zenfolio so that now I can no longer batch-upload a bunch of images. Grrrrr.....

beg_ne
Jun 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
Anybody else have their downloads window screwed up after installing 4.0.1?

Half the time nothing shows up in the window, but the status bar will read out and show how many items are active.

I can't see the progress, or stop or restart a download now most of the time.

kironin
Jun 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
does this fixed whatever the Java update screwed up?

Safari has been a problem since that update. Buttons often don't work, like for example Post Reply and paging buttons on this site.

Having to use Opera 9 to be able to post this here. Just sadly pathetic.

Watabou
Jun 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
Thank you apple. I had some issues with not even publishing photos on facebook via iPhoto.

tempusfugit
Jun 17, 2009, 11:43 PM
oh man i think im gonna go back to 4.0 i can't take the no tabs, thats bush league.

cosmos
Jun 18, 2009, 03:00 AM
does this fixed whatever the Java update screwed up?

Safari has been a problem since that update. Buttons often don't work, like for example Post Reply and paging buttons on this site.

Having to use Opera 9 to be able to post this here. Just sadly pathetic.

I am not sure what your issue might be, but both the Java update and Safari 4.01 updates have worked without issue for me. I assume that you changed the preferences back to enable Java after the update.

teknikal90
Jun 18, 2009, 03:30 AM
im glad they moved the tabs back down.
its fine when using a desktop, but on macbooks, when say closing or switching a tab, sometimes you hit it wrong and it ends up minimizing...hard to explain, but it is very easy to do it.happened to me way too often on the beta.

TheIntruder
Jun 18, 2009, 03:55 AM
Umm great, just updated my Safari along with the bluetooh firmware update, and now my EXPOSE doesn't work anymore!!! I had the bottom left corner set for Desktop and the upper right corner for All Windows...now neither works anymore! :mad:

Anyone else experienced this?? :confused:

EDIT: I just switched ExposÚ off and turned it on again, and it seems to be working again......

Check your System Preferences.

For some reason, the 4.01 updater nuked some of my Appearance and Desktop/Screen Saver prefs. It also nuked all of my Safari 4.0-specific prefs.

I don't know why a simple update would go around messing with wider system prefs, but it did. :mad: Never had that happen before with any update, and I run a clean system.

Good thing I keep a test drive and a separate work drive.

Mr. Wonderful
Jun 18, 2009, 07:33 AM
im glad they moved the tabs back down.
its fine when using a desktop, but on macbooks, when say closing or switching a tab, sometimes you hit it wrong and it ends up minimizing...hard to explain, but it is very easy to do it.happened to me way too often on the beta.

Happened to me too. All they would have to do is change the behavior though.

kironin
Jun 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
I am not sure what your issue might be, but both the Java update and Safari 4.01 updates have worked without issue for me. I assume that you changed the preferences back to enable Java after the update.

Yes, of course Java in the preferences is enabled.

I understand the knee-jerk assumption that I'm a noob.
So a little background, been using and programming on Macs since Apple IIe was the machine to have. The Java update screwed something up for Safari.

Maybe you are using 10.5? I am using 10.4.11.

Sent using Opera 9, because Quote button unresponsive in Safari 4.

ToM7
Jun 18, 2009, 10:46 AM
finally the fix the bug with facebook :p

but, no bug fixes of all the problems :confused:

iPhoneNYC
Jun 18, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hey, I didn't know about this! I'll install it now. Thanks

iPhoneNYC
Jun 18, 2009, 06:48 PM
Just installed the update. Took maybe two minutes to download and another three to install and restart. Now problem and no changes in use of Safari.

psj
Jun 19, 2009, 12:50 AM
And now the blue bubbles underneath running application icons on the dock disappeared :eek:

System preferences icon doesn't even show up anymore when it is running :eek::eek:

Am I missing something?

Ah repair preferences make it all normal again

SLee6675
Jun 19, 2009, 10:11 AM
Just installed 4.0.1 update and my screen is now all wishy-washy. Contrast is screwed up as well as colour saturation... 4.0. was fine... what happened..???
:confused:

crisss1205
Jun 21, 2009, 12:36 PM

Also adds iPhone 3.0 and iPod touch 3.0 under the user agent.

Kyle23
Jun 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
Do I find this on the apple site or where is this update listed?

morepower7
Jun 21, 2009, 04:00 PM
luckily apple is still releasing some things that support the g4

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Jun 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
Anybody else have their downloads window screwed up after installing 4.0.1?

Half the time nothing shows up in the window, but the status bar will read out and show how many items are active.

I can't see the progress, or stop or restart a download now most of the time.

Exactly! me too!!
I'm posting a screen shot of what's happening!
I just don't get it! A small update like this in such a short time! why??

DELLsFan
Jun 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
I must say, I am quite impressed with Safari 4. I think Top Sites is my favorite feature of the browser. All the other stuff is icing on the cake. Keep it up, Apple. I may never go back to FireFox if you keep this up. :)

Consultant
Jun 24, 2009, 01:09 PM
Yes, of course Java in the preferences is enabled.

I understand the knee-jerk assumption that I'm a noob.
So a little background, been using and programming on Macs since Apple IIe was the machine to have. The Java update screwed something up for Safari.

Maybe you are using 10.5? I am using 10.4.11.

Sent using Opera 9, because Quote button unresponsive in Safari 4.

There is no Safari 4.0.1 for 10.4 yet.

This is a Safari 4.0.1 thread.

cxc
Jun 25, 2009, 09:17 AM
Still crashes a lot on ebay, youtube and host of other sites.
Is it just me failing to see it or isn┤t there a restore tabs after unexpected shutdown feature?
Also way to many beachballs when doing mundane stuff such as importing small pictures in iphoto.
Once it flows rendering speed is very good but certainly not out of the ordinary.
Benchmarks are one thing but real life performance on sites such as bbc isn┤t better than FF.

Consultant
Jun 25, 2009, 01:06 PM
Still crashes a lot on ebay, youtube and host of other sites.
Is it just me failing to see it or isn┤t there a restore tabs after unexpected shutdown feature?
Also way to many beachballs when doing mundane stuff such as importing small pictures in iphoto.
Once it flows rendering speed is very good but certainly not out of the ordinary.
Benchmarks are one thing but real life performance on sites such as bbc isn┤t better than FF.

Go to
History menu / Reopen All Windows from Last Session

Did you repair permission?
Use Safari's built in bug report tool to report problems.

SleepyHead157
Jun 25, 2009, 05:52 PM
The new Safari 4.0.1 is amazing and a lot faster than Firefox. I don't even use Firefox anymore!

castlema
Jun 29, 2009, 07:11 PM
I went back to Safari 3 when I realized that there was no snapback in the address bar, just in the search window (my but Time Machine is handy!:) ). I won't be moving to 4 until that gets fixed, which may be a long time.