PDA

View Full Version : combo drive can't read burned DVD?

Squareball
May 19, 2004, 06:55 AM
My friend and I were capturing video for a project and when we were done he burned the results onto a DVD for me. It plays just dandy in his computer but when I put it into my iBook (with combo drive) it doesn't mount the disc. I tried a store bought DVD and it played just fine in my computer. Any ideas why this is happeneing? Is it something to do with that pesky DVD-R/DVD+R thing?

johnnyjibbs
May 19, 2004, 07:32 AM
It could well be the DVD+R thing. Check what drive his computer is - I expect it is DVD+RW. These discs will not run on your iBook because the drive only supports DVD-RW. I've heard Panther provides software support for +R but only if your drive supports it.

dabirdwell
May 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
A DVD burned in my 1.25 15" isn't recognized by my Dual 867 Combo drive. I thought it could be the blank discs I bought on EBay because I have had a couple not verify after their burns.

wrldwzrd89
May 19, 2004, 08:55 AM
It could well be the DVD+R thing. Check what drive his computer is - I expect it is DVD+RW. These discs will not run on your iBook because the drive only supports DVD-RW. I've heard Panther provides software support for +R but only if your drive supports it.
I strongly suspect that your PC friend has a DVD+RW drive and burned a DVD+R disc, which Mac OS X doesn't support fully (if you have a DVD+RW compatible SuperDrive and Mac OS X Panther, you MIGHT be able to read DVD+R and DVD+RW; the Finder burning software won't burn DVD+R or DVD+RW as far as I know, but Disk Utility will).