PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB battery....why doesn't Apple use the iBook's?

Abstract
May 19, 2004, 08:54 AM
Seriously, the iBook lasts 4 hours under regular conditions quite easily, but my 12" PB only lasts 3 to 3h20min on regular settings (ie: my regular screen brightness and CPU setting). That's disgraceful. Why not just use the iBook's battery? The new 12" iBook is almost the exact same as my rev B 12" Powerbook, so why even bother using the PB battery? Doesn't it seem obvious that the solution is just to use the iBook's? Is that how APple got the new PB battery?

Think about it:

Rev B 12" PB = 3h battery life.
12" iBook = 4+ hours....almost same technical system specs.

Doesn't make sense to me.

wrldwzrd89
May 19, 2004, 08:59 AM
Seriously, the iBook lasts 4 hours under regular conditions quite easily, but my 12" PB only lasts 3 to 3h20min on regular settings (ie: my regular screen brightness and CPU setting). That's disgraceful. Why not just use the iBook's battery? The new 12" iBook is almost the exact same as my rev B 12" Powerbook, so why even bother using the PB battery? Doesn't it seem obvious that the solution is just to use the iBook's? Is that how APple got the new PB battery?
I suspect that the 12" PB and the iBook DO in fact use the same battery, but hardware differences between the 12" PB and the iBook cause the difference in battery life between the two machines. If this is true, the stats you're getting are completely normal.

jxyama
May 19, 2004, 09:54 AM
both 12" iBook and PB use 50 Wh battery. (look under apple.com -> hardware -> technical specs for both models.) i imagine both batteries are practically the same, except for the outer casing.

the capacity is the same so the diff. in battery life comes from power consumption difference. you *do* pay for better performance in PB somewhere, afterall...

michaelrjohnson
May 19, 2004, 10:22 AM
you *do* pay for better performance in PB somewhere, afterall...

just the opposite. you pay more for poorer performance.

jxyama
May 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
just the opposite. you pay more for poorer performance.

what? :confused:

i meant that since PB is more performant, you pay for that by having shorter battery life, because more computing power usually means more power consumption.

CrackedButter
May 19, 2004, 12:02 PM
I get 5 + hours on my iBook easily without even trying to modify the settings. To think i had a PowerBook only 4 months ago with barely 4 hours life! :rolleyes:

michaelrjohnson
May 19, 2004, 01:04 PM
what? :confused:

i meant that since PB is more performant, you pay for that by having shorter battery life, because more computing power usually means more power consumption.

that's where we got confused.

IMHO, the 12in PB doesnt give you better performance than the iBook. So i was referring to how you would get the same computing power, with poorer battery performance (as they use the same battery capacity).

it was just a mixup of words with my opinion thrown in ;)

Gherkin
May 19, 2004, 03:12 PM
the 12in PB doesnt give you better performance than the iBook

That makes no sense at all. The Powerbook clearly has a better processor, graphics card, harddrive, etc.

iJon
May 19, 2004, 05:13 PM
also the powerbook has bluetooth, which unless turned off lowers battery life. if it has an airport card that is turned on as well the battery life is lessened.

iJon