PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sonnet 1.2ghz in a G4 DA 466

GlassOgnion
May 19, 2004, 09:04 AM
Hi,

Tried to install the Sonnet 1.2ghz G4 upgrade in my DA 466 but the computer freeze after 10 or 15 minutes of operation. First time I had a KP and second time it was a freeze. The 466 heatsink is installed on the Sonnet processor. Could be a heat issue. Do I have to replace the heatsink or maybe install a fan on it ? I'd like to have an advice from someone who has done the same upgrade in a DA 466.

Thanks,

Mario

Celeron
May 19, 2004, 06:22 PM
Seeing as no one else replied, I figured I'd make a suggestion. I haven't performed the upgrade you speak of, but I've been doing PC upgrades for many years now.

What you did was essentially increase your CPU speed 3 fold by going from 466mhz to 1200mhz. From your post it seems you used the heatsink that was made for the 466, which as you mentioned doesn't even have a fan. I'm 99% certain this is your problem. At the very least, you need to put a fan on your new CPU. Even then, its unlikely that its going to be stable and work properly.

Ideally, you need to get a new heatsink that supports a 1.2gig CPU. The heatsink in your machine is probably not capable of getting rid of the heat generated by an 800mhz CPU, let alone a 1200mhz CPU.

Also, did you put any thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU? If there was any pasty white material on the heatsink from the old CPU, you should remove that and apply a new layer. You can get a small tube of thermal paste from Radio Shack for $1.25.

GlassOgnion
May 19, 2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks Celeron for your advices. Before trying the Sonnet 1.2ghz upgrade I was running a Digital Audio 733mhz Apple processor with the 466mhz heatsink without any problem. G4 was very stable. But, as you notice, it's now a big job for my old heatsink to do the cooling on a 1.2ghz processor. Just wanted to know what kind of heatsink was used with the 1.2ghz processor. And yes, thermal paste is also a good idea.

Celeron
May 19, 2004, 10:11 PM
Do you have any thermal paste on there right now? If not, is there some sort of thermal pad on the heatsink? If you have absolutely nothing, and the CPU is just making bare contact with the bottom of the heatsink I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in smoke already. You really should have some sort of thermal material between your CPU and the heatsink.

And yes, as you just said, it seems that heatsink isn't up to the task of cooling that 1.2gig CPU.

GlassOgnion
May 20, 2004, 09:55 AM
Celeron, I'll try to find the good heatsink for that processor and thermal paste too. Now i'm using the 733mhz processor until I find the new heatsink. Hoping that the 1.2ghz is not fried. It was used a very short period and replaced it with the 733mhz immediately after the last freeze.

If someone has one heatsink that could fit and wants to sell it, I would be interested. Thanks again Celeron :D

Mord
May 20, 2004, 10:14 AM
your ment to use your original heatsink contct sonnet to get a replacement

GlassOgnion
May 20, 2004, 01:35 PM
your ment to use your original heatsink contct sonnet to get a replacement

I bought a used Sonnet upgrade without the heatsink. Just contacted OWC to ask if they have the good heatsink for the 1.2ghz processor. OK, I'll check with Sonnet too.