PDA

View Full Version : i tunes help...somewhat urgent

marcuschait@mac
May 19, 2004, 10:48 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so let me say thanks in advance for any help I can get here. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to burn only a PORTION of a downloaded song. I've downloaded a ten minute song into my itunes playlist, and now want to burn a seven minute segment of that song onto a clean cd. Is there a way to do this? If so, I would love any immediate help. Please email me at marcuschait@mac.com with any tips/instructions. I kind of have to figure this out within the next few hours, so quick responses are much appreciated!
Thanks-
marcus
marcuschait@mac.com

kgarner
May 19, 2004, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, iTunes was not designed to do what you want. What you need to do is go to macupdate.com (http://macupdate.com) and search for audio editor and choose one that looks good. Open up your song (preferably a copy) and edit out the parts you don't want and then burn your new song.

marcuschait@mac
May 19, 2004, 10:55 AM
thanks kgarner...any reccomendation as to a program i might want to use that isnt too tough to figure out? any free downloads for this, or is this a new thing that i have to purchase?
thanks!@
marcus

g30ffr3y
May 19, 2004, 11:01 AM
just get a program called wiretap... play the song from your itunes... once the segment of the song you want to truncate comes on... enable the wiretap to start recording... once youve gotten what you need simply stop the recording...

wiretap will generate you an .aiff which you can move into itunes and convert to aac/mp3...

while you are recording be careful not to let the mac make any system noises since wiretap records ALL AUDIO/SOUNDS that your system makes...

it may not be the best way to do what you want, but it will do it, and do it free...

ive done this myself... theres a hidden track on one of my cd's that starts a few minutes after the last song, but not on a different track... i used wiretap to isolate each song and eliminate the dead space by creating two tracks...

srobert
May 19, 2004, 03:56 PM
I think you could also dulicate the track in iTunes and set the "start time" and "stop time" for the song so you have the first part for the first copy of the song and the last part for the second copy of the song. I'm pretty sure when you burn it to CD it'll work just fine. No need for other software with this... unless I misunderstood the question.

To change start/stoptime, click on song, get info (command-I), option, changes values.

InitialDMP4
Jun 10, 2004, 02:49 AM
"I think you could also dulicate the track in iTunes and set the "start time" and "stop time"......"

Yeah, so when you set your in and out, right click on the song file, and select "convert selection to MP3" this will make a copy of the song into your library, and it will be the length you created. this is how I make mp3s for ringtones, since I can't fit a whole song on my phone. PEACE OUT