PDA

View Full Version : Highest Quality with AC3 Pass Through Apple TV

Michael001
Jun 17, 2009, 08:02 PM
Gentlemen,

I am looking for the best (say highest quality settings) to save my DVD Library on my Apple TV and watch it.

Currently I am using De interlace and AC3 pass through with Handbrake. Are there better solutions or better settings for Handrbake, I want quality that is almost (if not better ^^) than DVD on my Apple TV home theater system, I use a 52 HD TV connected to my Apple TV, any input provided is more than wellcome.

Currently I do the following: RipIt (with RipIt) than use queue encoding with handbrake using presets for Apple TV changed for deinterlacing and AC3 Pass Through.

Any advice to improve?

Kind regards

Michael

dynaflash
Jun 17, 2009, 10:10 PM
I want quality that is almost (if not better ^^) than DVD on my Apple TV home theater system,
Well no encoder can give you more quality than the source material, so for a dvd the best you will get is perceived transparent quality. All encoders by nature lose some source material. Having said that, try the atv preset, but bump the quality slider up to 62%. This is largely recognized as visually transparent to the dvd source.

... using presets for Apple TV changed for deinterlacing and AC3 Pass Through.
Do not deinterlace sources that are not interlaced, you will lose quality. I suggest using decomb if you are not sure, it will selectively deinterlace or blend sources that are interlaced and leave non interlaced sources alone.

The Atv preset does not have to be changed to use AC3 as it already does.