Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I have Tap Tap 2, AP News, Textfree lite and have yet to receive a push notification from any of those. Just wondering.

TavisB

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
I've gotten notifications from Textfree and from WeatherAlert (just had a tornado warning!)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I've gotten notifications from Textfree and from WeatherAlert (just had a tornado warning!)

:eek: Awesome! How long did it take to arrive? Like did you open the app and see when it was sent out or what not.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i got some from Tap Tap Revenge 2. that's the only app i have with push so far.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
They probably don't have anything to send right now. I don't think it's because of Apple, as I'm sure the testing for AP and AIM went really well.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
im sure apple will have them tommorw i think they were wating for the servers to die down after everyone updating and seting up the new iphones

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
This may be a stupid question but do you need to have Push turned on to receive these? In other words, I go into setting > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data and see that "Push" is currently set to off. Do I need to turn this on to receive the push notifications from apps such as the AP app?

Also, if I turn that on, will it impact battery life?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
This may be a stupid question but do you need to have Push turned on to receive these? In other words, I go into setting > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data and see that "Push" is currently set to off. Do I need to turn this on to receive the push notifications from apps such as the AP app?

Also, if I turn that on, will it impact battery life?

No, you need to have 'Notifications' on to receive push updates. What you mentioned is for email, calendars and contact updates. And yes, having any of these set to push will hurt battery life. I believe Scott Forstall said it was somewhere around a 10% decrease in battery life for Push Notification.

MaroW

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Haha. Same here. None of my friend use AIM so the AIM Beta I have is almost useless.

uhm... you can use aim for icq too... just put in your icq number as aim name... at least thats how it was when i tried a few weeks ago...

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
I just got a breaking news alert from AP. What I liked about it and if I remember correctly this is new from the beta testing of this app is the app doesn't automatically open after slide to unlock.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I just got a breaking news alert from AP. What I liked about it and if I remember correctly this is new from the beta testing of this app is the app doesn't automatically open after slide to unlock.

Yes! I can confirm it too. Got my first push notification from AP around 5 minutes ago regarding the Supreme Courts decision in regards to convicts.

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
I also just received a push notification from AP mobile concerning the Supreme Court case. Interesting sound it made there. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.