PDA

View Full Version : help with my new 15" powerbook hardware!

TheMac19
May 19, 2004, 04:53 PM
just got my new powerbook! Very excited - my first mac for personal use, although I've spent countless hours editing on them over the past couple years at school/work. I ordered the powerbook BTO with the 5400 hard drive and the 128mb 9700 video card - it seemed silly to get one without these options for only $100 difference!
Anyway, how can I check these things now that I have the computer? I tried looking into About this Mac, but I can't find any mention of Video RAM or hard drive speed... I just want to make sure that everything's as i ordered it!
thanks a lot for any info you can offer!

-tom

if you're wondering, it's a 15" 1.5Ghz... And I've got 2 Gigs of RAM on the way...

stoid
May 19, 2004, 05:06 PM
Apple Menu>About This Mac

click More Info...

also, in the About This Mac window, click the Mac OS version number to show build number and click again to show your computer's serial number, another click will return you to the version number.

Enjoy the new Mac!

pncc
May 19, 2004, 05:06 PM
Easy,

click on 'More info' in the About This mac window. That will take you to Apple System profiler(ASP). Click on the different tabs there to see more than you want to know. Alternatively, go to ASP in Applications/Utilities.

TheMac19
May 19, 2004, 05:19 PM
yeah, I tried "more info" on About this Mac, but it doesn't give the hd speed or Video Card/RAM specs anyplace. Unless of course I'm blind, but I really don't think it's there...

stoid
May 19, 2004, 05:24 PM
yeah, I tried "more info" on About this Mac, but it doesn't give the hd speed or Video Card/RAM specs anyplace. Unless of course I'm blind, but I really don't think it's there...

You have to click the "More Info..." button. ;)

TheMac19
May 19, 2004, 05:52 PM
No, really, under "more info" it lists this as the hardware overview:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.4f1
Serial Number: xxxxxx

Then under Memory it just lists the RAM. Under ATA for the hard drive it shows:

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 74.41 GB
Available: 66.22 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s3
Mount Point: /

which also brings up the point - it's the max supposed to be 80gig?

FuzzyBallz
May 19, 2004, 05:53 PM
Apple > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > PCI/AGP Cards

This will give you the model and specs of the video card.

There's no info on how many RPM or cache the HD has. I doubt the PB gives you different info then the PowerMac. Could be wrong... but let me confirm it w/ my PB... Nope. Maybe on Panther it will. Got 10.2 on the PB.

And for the last time, if you wanna know the real HD space on a HD, google for it. Or read this (http://iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=36&page=1&topic=Hard_drive_size) if you're lazy.

AgBlade
May 19, 2004, 08:33 PM
I have the exact same config. I also went for the upgrades as I was thinking "Do I want this thing to seem inadequate sooner or later??"

Anyway, I noticed that, depending on where you look, it either says 74.53 GB (TOSHIBA MK8026GAX) or 74.41 GB (Macintosh HD) for capacity. You'll also find some different HDs with diff. options when you go to Disk Utility.

I love this PB!