Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zman78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
If you planned on getting this app like I did so you could listen to the stern show while at work or gym etc.. don't bother.. Sirius saw fit to leave it out along with other more popular channels.. see disclaimer from their site (not shown in the app store listing either btw).:

Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

Davide82

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
so long as i can listen to coast to coast am and alex jones i'm good to go. I'm glad they left stern out he is a big piece of filth.

TavisB

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
That sucks...I've been waiting so long for this app and now it is pretty much worthless to me :*(

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
LOL... this is ridiculous. Its almost like they are trying to put themselves out of business. First the merger... which really doesn't benefit the consumers unless you want to pay more money for additional programming and buy a new radio... then they increase fees by $3/month if you want to keep listening online... then they kill the 3rd party StarPlayr app (which looked awesome) and decided to develop their own... which looks like it could be an epic fail. Stern and sports are the main reasons they have some customers left... Pandora/Slacker/Last.fm are better for music and are FREE. I know there are probaly regulations about broadcasting some of the sports, but not Stern. He mentioned the StarPlayr app a couple of times on the air (before Sirius killed it) and seemed to be excited about it.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You Stern fans don't realize this isn't SiriusXM's fault... its your greedy friend Howard's fault. Someone said it earlier but he didn't sign over the rights to his channel on this application. There is clauses in his contract about his online stream so it doesn't hinder his other income such like HowardTV and so forth.

Honestly the application is decent, I beta'ed StarPlayer also and it seems similar to it except for the lyrics and so forth. There are a few UI complaints such as adding to favorites is cumbersome, they need an auto-start last channel function, the volume bar seems like it was just thrown into the application at the last minute, and the load times for the application aren't the quickest.

However this application does handle the occasionally 3g to Edge or even quick data drop outs very well. Even pocket tunes with the musicdock method didn't handle those so well. Kudos in that area.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
You Stern fans don't realize this isn't SiriusXM's fault... its your greedy friend Howard's fault. Someone said it earlier but he didn't sign over the rights to his channel on this application. There is clauses in his contract about his online stream so it doesn't hinder his other income such like HowardTV and so forth.

What you don't realize is that a company is supposed to make itself profitable. the company is supposed to do things that make sense. They should have found a way to get the rights for this channel. Stupid SiriusXM. IT IS THEIR FAULT!

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008

Are you sure about that? Stern talked about the StarPlayr app on air several times and it sounded like he was looking forward to it because it would increase his listener base. I can't think of any way this could negatively impact his income from Howard TV

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What you don't realize is that a company is supposed to make itself profitable. the company is supposed to do things that make sense. They should have found a way to get the rights for this channel. Stupid SiriusXM. IT IS THEIR FAULT!

The company knew its constraints when it signed the contract over with Howard. It isn't like they didn't read the fine print, they knew this coming into it that he was out to make money outside of his agreement with them.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Are you sure about that? Stern talked about the StarPlayr app on air several times and it sounded like he was looking forward to it because it would increase his listener base. I can't think of any way this could negatively impact his income from Howard TV

Yeah, on numerous occasions Howard has said he looks forward to being able to listen to his channels on the iPhone. I bet this is Sirius's fault, not Howard's.

The only way I would blame this on the Stern show is if Scott the Engineer has to do anything to facilitate streaming, because he screws everything up :D

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA

StarPlayr was a different application, it is much like the on-line version of the website and it merely "crawled" the site to get the audio. This application is using API calls into their system and they have more control over what they can limit to the application.

Honestly Howard had no control over the StarPlayr system much like the online players out there that just re-stream the audio after getting a successful login.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
The company knew its constraints when it signed the contract over with Howard. It isn't like they didn't read the fine print, they knew this coming into it that he was out to make money outside of his agreement with them.

Your argument is flawed. They are available to be streamed over the internet on the computer, There must be some other reason why they are not on the iphone. I believe it has to do with APPLE and their NC17 rating.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Quick someone call Howard now and bitch, especially since they've talked about this upcoming app quite a few times...I would call but I'm currently in the Netherlands. Someone doooooooit!

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Quick someone call Howard now and bitch...I would but I'm in the Netherlands.

I tried to call and its impossible to get him on the phone. We do need to somehow get this to his attention. If anyone could get his stations on the iPhone its him.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Your argument is flawed. They are available to be streamed over the internet on the computer, There must be some other reason why they are not on the iphone. I believe it has to do with APPLE and their NC17 rating.

Your argument about NC17 is flawed in two areas.

1) Some of the channels on the application contain NC17 material already.
2) Apple has measures for applications that fall within this realm and will notify the user this is an NC17 application or an application that contains adult material.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
StarPlayr was a different application, it is much like the on-line version of the website and it merely "crawled" the site to get the audio. This application is using API calls into their system and they have more control over what they can limit to the application.

Honestly Howard had no control over the StarPlayr system much like the online players out there that just re-stream the audio after getting a successful login.

Yes, it was a different application... but I don't think Howard would be promoting it on his show if he was against it. APIs, crawling, makes no difference... either the app allows howard to be streamed or it doesn't. Apparently he had no problem with StarPlayr streaming him since he was promoting it. Why would he have a problem with the official Sirius app streaming him? He can only benefit from it. I don't think the Howard's contract is the real reason his channels aren't included in this app.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I tried to call and its impossible to get him on the phone. We do need to somehow get this to his attention. If anyone could get his stations on the iPhone its him.

That is a possibility.. there are supposed to be parental controls in OS 3.0 that will allow them to be a little more lenient on the apps, but who knows with Apple. They have rejected twitter apps because vulgar words could be seen and CraigsList apps that show erotic ads.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
That is a possibility.. there are supposed to be parental controls in OS 3.0 that will allow them to be a little more lenient on the apps, but who knows with Apple. They have rejected twitter apps because vulgar words could be seen and CraigsList apps that show erotic ads.

True, there is a way to block certain channels on this app.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
True, there is a way to block certain channels on this app.

The smut excuse does not fly, Raw dog, Playboy, and ****ING OPRAH on on the ****ing thing! ****ing OPRAH! What a slap in the ****ing face, I am so mad.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
nevermind, my app over wifi will not quit buffering every 10 seconds anyway.....
What a waste. Has he addressed this at all today yet? I am listening now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.