PDA

View Full Version : [O2] Enable iPhone tethering for free and without Jailbreaking.

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 03:32 AM
:D

Clicky clicky (http://richardlai.xanga.com/704930537/enable-tethering-on-iphone-30---too-easy-worldwide-carriers/)

Just tried it. Works perfectly. Remember to follow the instructions at the foot of the site to re-enable MMS. The tethering option still stays in place - instead of "Set up Internet Tethering" you have the option of just turning it on or off.

O2 have already confirmed via Twitter they don't have the systems in place to detect the difference between data from a phone or from a computer. The only way they know is by the amount of data being transferred. If it's excessive (like watching BBC iPlayer etc) they will contact you and tell you to cool it.

Just don't use it excessively and you won't have a problem. :cool:

dallardice
Jun 18, 2009, 03:46 AM
Not working here... there are two O2 profiles now, "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo" - neither remove the message that I need to contact O2 to enable tethering.

nathanj.massey
Jun 18, 2009, 03:47 AM
I can confirm that you DON'T get charged using this method. It just shows up on your bill as part of your unlimited data plan.

Like the OP said, just don't go mad with it and they won't know the difference between the data on your iPhone or through tethering.

Bye Bye Baby
Jun 18, 2009, 03:53 AM
Works really well. Can't complain.

Phil A.
Jun 18, 2009, 03:56 AM
Not working here... there are two O2 profiles now, "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo" - neither remove the message that I need to contact O2 to enable tethering.

It didn't work for me either at first, but after restarting the phone the tethering option appeared :)

Edit: It resets if you use USB tethering. Not really bothered because I will probably pony up for the tethering option as soon as O2 make it available: Saves me carrying an extra dongle around ;)

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 03:57 AM

Have you followed the instructions exactly. Are you on an iPhone tariff and is it a contract? It will only work if you are.

dallardice
Jun 18, 2009, 04:03 AM
Have you followed the instructions exactly. Are you on an iPhone tariff and is it a contract? It will only work if you are.

Yes I did and yes I am - the instructions don't specify a reboot. Which I've now done and that has done the trick.

Eyedn
Jun 18, 2009, 04:04 AM
Will this work with Pay&Go? :cool:

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 04:05 AM

Will this work with Pay&Go? :cool:

I believe its iPhone tariff contracts only though I'm not 100% sure.

beardboy
Jun 18, 2009, 04:11 AM
Does this only work on 3G iPhones?

I''ve installed the profile on my 2G, but no tether option, even after rebooting the phone.

Charlie017
Jun 18, 2009, 04:18 AM
is there any way i can get this working on my iphone 2g? im on o2 pay monthly

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 04:18 AM
Does this only work on 3G iPhones?

I''ve installed the profile on my 2G, but no tether option, even after rebooting the phone.

Yup only 3G running OS 3.0.

ajnicho
Jun 18, 2009, 04:20 AM
Worked perfectly. Thanks funkymunkey.

iSimx
Jun 18, 2009, 04:30 AM
it works great, but what I'm worried about it how to remove it, incase I need to. Reason being, other people have found that even by just removing the installed profile doesn't seem to put it back to the original settings...

Anyone?

iBecks
Jun 18, 2009, 04:34 AM
Do you need to be running 10.5.7 for the iPhone to show as a new network interface?

Eyedn
Jun 18, 2009, 04:42 AM
Okay, Pay&Go wont work. The o2 config still wants to run through idata.o2.uk instead of payandgo.o2.uk

How annoying:rolleyes:

Nickb
Jun 18, 2009, 04:43 AM
it works great, but what I'm worried about it how to remove it, incase I need to. Reason being, other people have found that even by just removing the installed profile doesn't seem to put it back to the original settings...

Anyone?

Surely if you really needed to get rid of it you can just do a full restore?

think ill get this working on mine now, how is it working for everyone in the UK?

iSimx
Jun 18, 2009, 04:46 AM
true, but if you back it up then you will be saving those settings... I guess...

not sure...

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 04:47 AM
which one do I need?
"O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo"

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 04:49 AM

Anyone?

Even changing the APN settings manually won't change the tethering option - it's stays enabled. You need to do a full restore to get rid of the option.

think ill get this working on mine now, how is it working for everyone in the UK?

Works a treat for me.:cool:

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 04:50 AM
which one do I need?
"O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo"

Reboot your phone if you have two options after downloading the settings file.

Mike1980
Jun 18, 2009, 04:50 AM
Huzzah! Thanks very much, spot on!

RA19
Jun 18, 2009, 04:52 AM
Followed all the instructions on the link and it worked! BUT .... now the blue internet tethering bar has disappeared and there is no mention of internet tethering when I go into settings-->network etc.. I've gone back into network preferences on my mac and the ethernet connection that i set up in the instructions supplied has all the data missing and the 'Apply' button is greyed out (inactive).

I've turned phone off & on again and nothing changes. What have I done?
:confused:

big_malk
Jun 18, 2009, 04:57 AM
Works perfectly :D

I'm using it now, and it's much quicker than I expected. I don't expect to use it a lot, but this could really come in handy some times! Thanks!

oililymad
Jun 18, 2009, 05:02 AM
that is so so so cool..
didnt think it would take long. wow.
thanks!!!
sod you o2 and your greedy internet tethering charges..

its pretty fast too.

Martin-UK
Jun 18, 2009, 05:02 AM
I had 2 options for O2 when downloading the profile, one was 'O2 Contract' the other was 'O2 Vertigo'... I selected 'O2 Contract' but can't seem to get it working.

When I plug in the device via USB i get the popup and go to Network Settings but it says nothing is connected. When I click 'Apply' it does nothing and I don't get the blue tethering screen.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 05:07 AM
Even changing the APN settings manually won't change the tethering option - it's stays enabled. You need to do a full restore to get rid of the option.

Surely resetting network settings would get rid of this?

iSimx
Jun 18, 2009, 05:13 AM
reseting the networking settings brings it back to WAP settings

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 05:16 AM
Tethering has gone out of my network prefs.

its disappeared.....

would this be O2?

RA19
Jun 18, 2009, 05:16 AM
Trying to figure out what happened to my internet tethering.

If I go into settings>general there is a section marked o2 profile, which looks as if it now contains the benm.at profile I installed. In the more details part it says username is o2.wap - in funkymunkey's instructions it said to reset network profile with user name vertigo (I think).

could this disparity in user name settings explain why i.t. not working?? what happens if I just remove the benm.at profile from my iphone??

oililymad
Jun 18, 2009, 05:19 AM
tethering still works for me.
although i dont expect it will be long for o2 to try and stop it. ( or much longer than that before someone tries to fix it again:))

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 05:26 AM
reseting the networking settings brings it back to WAP settings

Brings what back to WAP settings? By default, my iPhone is set to use idata.o2.co.uk for cellular data, MMS, and Visual Voicemail, even following a reset of the network settings.

My point is, people are asking if it's possible to get rid of the downloaded tethering settings. I think a reset network settings would achieve that.

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 05:29 AM
Trying to figure out what happened to my internet tethering.

If I go into settings>general there is a section marked o2 profile, which looks as if it now contains the benm.at profile I installed. In the more details part it says username is o2.wap - in funkymunkey's instructions it said to reset network profile with user name vertigo (I think).

could this disparity in user name settings explain why i.t. not working?? what happens if I just remove the benm.at profile from my iphone??

I have just removed this profile and tethering is back as it was on updating to 3.0.

RA19
Jun 18, 2009, 05:35 AM
I have just removed this profile and tethering is back as it was on updating to 3.0.

Yep just removed the profile and all seems as it was before. No tethering. the set up internet tethering section has re-appeared in the network section under settings>general.

Still like to know why it stopped working for me though!

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 05:38 AM
nor me?

Nickb
Jun 18, 2009, 05:45 AM
Try again guys - it does work.

It seems if it doesnt work with one of the profiles, try the other.

Also, dont re-boot. I got it working fine, over bluetooth then re-booted and the tethering option disappeared. So i did it again but didnt re-boot and its there working fine, so maybe dont re-boot.

Also you have to make sure you pair it properly to your computer using bluetooth, then connect to your iphone as you would if you have wireless keyboard or mouse.

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 05:47 AM
Oops its all going tits up for me too. Loss of network interface on my Mac. Pluggin in via USB doesn't recognise a new interface and even though over BT my iPhone says its tethering, there is no connection on the Mac. :confused:

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 05:52 AM
Might we have a lock down from O2?

ajnicho
Jun 18, 2009, 05:53 AM
Why has it changed my MMS username to Vertigo and my IPN to idata.o2.co.uk

Shouldnt it be o2wap?

myuserid08
Jun 18, 2009, 05:57 AM
Works fine over bluetooth, but as soon as you try USB the tethering option disappears and you have to remove the config file. So dont use the USB option!

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
I removed the config file and I still have tethering available. :confused:

Phil A.
Jun 18, 2009, 06:00 AM
Why has it changed my MMS username to Vertigo and my IPN to idata.o2.co.uk

Shouldnt it be o2wap?

No - idata.o2.co.uk is the correct setting now

Vazza
Jun 18, 2009, 06:09 AM
Installed the config file...internet tethering is working great. I've even turned the iPhone off and on again and it's still there. I've tested visual voicemail and MMS and they're working fine too.

iSimx
Jun 18, 2009, 06:11 AM
Brings what back to WAP settings? By default, my iPhone is set to use idata.o2.co.uk for cellular data, MMS, and Visual Voicemail, even following a reset of the network settings.

My point is, people are asking if it's possible to get rid of the downloaded tethering settings. I think a reset network settings would achieve that.

No I know what you mean, but once you've installed this setting from that BenM site, selecting reset settings seems to bring my phone back to WAP settings rather than, as you mentioned the idata.o2.co.uk settings (which it is supposed to be)

Nickb
Jun 18, 2009, 06:12 AM
Installed the config file...internet tethering is working great. I've even turned the iPhone off and on again and it's still there. I've tested visual voicemail and MMS and they're working fine too.

Interesting - which profile did you use? i havnt dared turn mine off yet, but its working just fine.

ive also tested mms which works fine, although not tried visual voice mail yet

EDIT: Just tried visual voicemail and all works fine

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 06:21 AM
How are you guess connecting, BT or USB and which config file are you using? USB doesn't work for me anymore and over BT my iPhone goes into tethering mode but there is no connection on the Mac at all.:(

Vazza
Jun 18, 2009, 06:22 AM
Interesting - which profile did you use? i havnt dared turn mine off yet, but its working just fine.

ive also tested mms which works fine, although not tried visual voice mail yet

EDIT: Just tried visual voicemail and all works fine

It's the file from the link on the first page...just installed it and turned internet tethering on. Where can I check the profile?

Works fine over bluetooth, but as soon as you try USB the tethering option disappears and you have to remove the config file. So dont use the USB option!

I've tried both and internet tethering hasn't disappeared :confused:

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
Try again guys - it does work.

It seems if it doesnt work with one of the profiles, try the other.

Also, dont re-boot. I got it working fine, over bluetooth then re-booted and the tethering option disappeared. So i did it again but didnt re-boot and its there working fine, so maybe dont re-boot.

Also you have to make sure you pair it properly to your computer using bluetooth, then connect to your iphone as you would if you have wireless keyboard or mouse.

just done this ^

working fine.. just one thing, if my phone is connected via wifi it would use wifi? not 3g..
so this would not effect O2's data would it?

Just noticed its 'o2wap' in cellular data and not 'vertigo'
should I change this?

James Hatts
Jun 18, 2009, 06:41 AM
O2 have already confirmed via Twitter they don't have the systems in place to detect the difference between data from a phone or from a computer.
Do you have a link to this tweet?

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 06:46 AM

Ah, but when I do a reset of network settings, all my settings still refer to idata. I haven't done this tethering thing yet, by the way.

SayCheese
Jun 18, 2009, 06:46 AM
Can anyone tell me. If I enable tethering via this method and then connect the iPhone to a BT Openzone hotspot (that I get free use of with my call plan), will I get a connection that way with my laptop?

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 06:48 AM
just done this ^

working fine.. just one thing, if my phone is connected via wifi it would use wifi? not 3g..
so this would not effect O2's data would it?

Just noticed its 'o2wap' in cellular data and not 'vertigo'
should I change this?

You can't tether wi-fi... That's just craziness! If you're tethering, it'll be using the cellular network, even if wi-fi is connection, afaik.

I believe that all O2 users are being migrated over to the idata servers, so I think you'll need to use vertigo in the future.

taffowl
Jun 18, 2009, 06:49 AM
I've finally got everything working, MMS, Visual Voicemail and internet all using the idata.o2.co.uk and more importantly tetehring still works as well.

The steps I followed were:

I downloaded the custom o2 mobile config edited the file and then emailed it to my gmail account. I then open the email with the atatchment using the iphone and installed the mobile config.

I then restarted the phone. The data setting all still show as idata.o2.co.uk with vertigo as the username and password as the password and tethering works using bluetooth or usb on my mac.

My only gripe now is that I can't get bluetooth tetehring to work on my vista laptop. When I link the iphone to the laptop using bluetooth Vista asks for driver for the bluetooth device says someting like "Bluetooth Peripheral Device driver required". I can't find a driver anywhere that works.

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 06:50 AM
Do you have iTunes installed on that computer?

mubo
Jun 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
You can't tether wi-fi... That's just craziness! If you're tethering, it'll be using the cellular network, even if wi-fi is connection, afaik.

I believe that all O2 users are being migrated over to the idata servers, so I think you'll need to use vertigo in the future.

so should I change it now do you think?

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
I've finally got everything working, MMS, Visual Voicemail and internet all using the idata.o2.co.uk and more importantly tetehring still works as well.

The steps I followed were:

I downloaded the custom o2 mobile config edited the file and then emailed it to my gmail account. I then open the email with the atatchment using the iphone and installed the mobile config.

I then restarted the phone. The data setting all still show as idata.o2.co.uk with vertigo as the username and password as the password and tethering works using bluetooth or usb on my mac.

My only gripe now is that I can't get bluetooth tetehring to work on my vista laptop. When I link the iphone to the laptop using bluetooth Vista asks for driver for the bluetooth device says someting like "Bluetooth Peripheral Device driver required". I can't find a driver anywhere that works.

What editing did you do to the file?

taffowl
Jun 18, 2009, 06:52 AM
Do you have iTunes installed on that computer?

If that question was for me, yes the pre 8.2 dev version.. Its running vista x64 if that makes a difference.

hourami
Jun 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
Will this work for those on the Simplicity tariff with the Web bolt-on?

Thanks

SayCheese
Jun 18, 2009, 06:55 AM
Ok, was worth an ask.

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 06:55 AM
so should I change it now do you think?

While it's working, I'd probably leave it as it is. If you find things stop working, just put in the idata settings instead.

RA19
Jun 18, 2009, 07:01 AM
Just saw this article - bluff?

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/o2-we-ll-disconnect-free-iphone-tetherers-609253

taffowl
Jun 18, 2009, 07:01 AM
What editing did you do to the file?

I just downloaded the file, opened it in a text editor and changed the apn / username and password and then saved it.

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 07:07 AM
I just downloaded the file, opened it in a text editor and changed the apn / username and password and then saved it.

To what exactly? idata.o2.co.uk / vertigo / password?

remuk
Jun 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
I upgraded my 3G 16Gb to 3.0 via iTunes last night.

I followed the instructions and installed 'O2 Vertigo' this afternoon. I didn't have to restart my phone. I can confirm that it works fine on Windows XP SP2 over USB.

Fantastic!

Regards,

remuk

Carl Bembridge
Jun 18, 2009, 07:11 AM
To what exactly? idata.o2.co.uk / vertigo / password?

If your on the iPhone tariff i think its idata.o2.co.uk and vertigo/password for everything.

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 07:13 AM
If your on the iPhone tariff i think its idata.o2.co.uk and vertigo/password for everything.

Yup it is so I am just wondering what taffowl changed as the file already contains those details.:confused:

James Hatts
I've removed the profile - how do I get my settings back to how they were originally? (ie so that the O2 message comes up if I try to turn on tethering?)

Phil A.
Just saw this article - bluff?

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/o2-we-ll-disconnect-free-iphone-tetherers-609253

Not necessarily - it is technically possible to find you out but O2 don't necessarily have the required infrastructure in place. This is being discussed in more detail on this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=724364).

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 07:14 AM
I've removed the profile - how do I get my settings back to how they were originally? (ie so that the O2 message comes up if I try to turn on tethering?)

Reboot.

anim8or
Jun 18, 2009, 07:14 AM
Yep just removed the profile and all seems as it was before. No tethering. the set up internet tethering section has re-appeared in the network section under settings>general.

Still like to know why it stopped working for me though!

How did you remove the profile....?

taffowl
Jun 18, 2009, 07:15 AM

Correct, I used those settings

James Hatts
Jun 18, 2009, 07:17 AM
Reboot.

I tried that but it still allows me to turn tethering on or off.

ajnicho
Jun 18, 2009, 07:19 AM
No I know what you mean, but once you've installed this setting from that BenM site, selecting reset settings seems to bring my phone back to WAP settings rather than, as you mentioned the idata.o2.co.uk settings (which it is supposed to be)

It didnt on mine. I deleted the profile, reset network settings but it stayed the same. I reboot my phone and the tethering still worked, even after the profile was deleted.

Carl Bembridge
Jun 18, 2009, 07:20 AM
Yup it is so I am just wondering what taffowl changed as the file already contains those details.:confused:

Yeah, if you used the o2 vertigo profile, then that defaulted your settings to idata.o2.co.uk and o2wap/password.

So i assume he changed the username to vertigo, from o2wap.

Edit. Yes it appears he did!

anim8or
Jun 18, 2009, 07:24 AM
It didnt on mine. I deleted the profile, reset network settings but it stayed the same. I reboot my phone and the tethering still worked, even after the profile was deleted.

how did you delete the profile form your phone?????

Found it... thanks anyway

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 07:27 AM

Settings > General > Profile > Remove

saracen
Jun 18, 2009, 07:39 AM
Followed the instructions but I downloaded the file and then emailed it to myself. Works a treat via USB but can't get Bluetooth to work! Never mind will rarely use this anyway but it's a nice to have (but not for 15 a month) :)

thefunkymunky
Jun 18, 2009, 07:42 AM
Its stopped working all together for me. My iPhone says its tethering but my Mac doesn't recognise the data connection whether on USB or BT. :(

anim8or
Jun 18, 2009, 07:43 AM

Ditto.....

ajnicho
Jun 18, 2009, 07:44 AM

It didnt do anything though, I can still enable tethering and I dont think any of the network settings have changed.

anim8or
Jun 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
It didnt do anything though, I can still enable tethering and I dont think any of the network settings have changed.

If you then connect ur iphone to ur laptop via usb and try to enable tethering it reverts the tethering button back to 'set up tethering'

...just found it out now...!

Sebby
Jun 18, 2009, 08:05 AM

Try resetting network settings.

johnwin
Jun 18, 2009, 08:07 AM
If you then connect ur iphone to ur laptop via usb and try to enable tethering it reverts the tethering button back to 'set up tethering'

...just found it out now...!

maybe o2 are 'on to us'!

James Hatts
Jun 19, 2009, 07:00 AM
I've deleted the profile and reset network settings, but how can I be sure that the settings are back to how they were before I installed the profile?

Stiss
Jun 19, 2009, 07:45 AM
Im tethering as we speak!!!

I can see this being pretty useful.

SethRogen
Jun 19, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm going to install tethering, but if I want to delete it I just restore network settings?

Trivial rock
Jun 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have tried both profiles, neither work for me. I have tried restarting etc or deleting it and installing again, no joy. Any tips? I have an iPhone 3G 16gb black on contract.
Help?

vinay427
Jun 26, 2009, 03:48 PM
I used this for AT&T by installing the correct profile and in Network settings there is an option called Set Up Tethering and when I choose that it says to contact AT&T. Anyone else have this problem?

Trivial rock
Jun 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
I used this for AT&T by installing the correct profile and in Network settings there is an option called Set Up Tethering and when I choose that it says to contact AT&T. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes this is the problem Im having, Im on 02, ie the download hasnt worked for us, yet.....

analbeard
Jul 2, 2009, 05:02 PM
No joy here on o2 unfortunately, neither the o2 contract nor the o2 vertigo profile. tried the configurator, entered the correct settings but still no joy, still get the tethering popup. any ideas anyone?

myuserid08
Jul 3, 2009, 02:24 AM
It seems to be working fine for me over bluetooth, I used the manual file.

stephenc92
Mar 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
I've tried using both O2 Vertigo and O2 Contract and the option for tethering just disappears.

I'm on 3.1.3, unlocked O2 iPhone, however I don't live in a 3G coverage area. Does the tethering switch disappear when 3G isn't available?

Mak2204
Apr 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
Iv also tried both profiles. and nether work for me. Please advice

biohead
Apr 18, 2011, 04:14 AM
It doesn't work on iOS 4 anymore. You need to be jailbroken to do this now.

Phil A.
Apr 18, 2011, 06:04 AM
Iv also tried both profiles. and nether work for me. Please advice

If you are on a normal pay monthly contract with O2 and aren't grandfathered into unlimited data, simply call them up and ask to be moved to one of their new tariffs (they all include tethering for free now, but it comes out of your monthly allowance). The contracts also work out slightly cheaper so unless you are on unlimited data (and need it), there's no reason not to :)

You can move onto a new contract on Simplicity ones too, but they cost more than the old ones so there's not so much benefit