Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I updated to 3.0 last night on my 3G, all went well, but the only thing that won't work is Voice Memos...

The VU meter doesn't pick up any input even when shouting into it (but the VU does pulse when the on-screen mic is tapped), and then no sound is played back after I finish recording. I've tried loads of times, force-quitting the app, soft reset etc., and it still won't work.

Can anyone help?

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I am having the same problem on my 1st Gen iPhone. The recording needle stays on -20 with very little sensitivity. Recorded voice playback volume is very low. I reported this problem on Apple's web site at http://www.apple.com/feedback. You should also report this problem.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Same Hear ;) 3Gs

I've got the same problem. The VU meter barely moves. Playback is pretty low, and yes I had the speaker on. In comparison playback on music is loud compared to what you can get back with a voice memo.

I know it is called Voice Memo. Are we supposed to have it up to our face like we are using the phone while recording? If so this isn't going to help if you want to record a lecture or a meeting.

Are there external microphones that can be added. Are there any sensitivity adjustments buried in settings?

Same deal on my kid's 2G.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Well, I upgraded to a 3GS, and the voice memo is fine on that (volume registers on the vu meter when talking normally, and it records fine). It's a bit quiet, but acceptable. Looks like there was something wrong with my old iPhone and the new software, perhaps a reinstall/restore would cure it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.