Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegGHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install The Sims Complete Collection (the first one) on to my mac mini. I did it a while back, but then my hard drive wiped and I had to start everything again.
I've dragged the sims folder from the disc to my hard drive, just as the instructions told me, but I'm having problems.
Firstly, an error message comes up saying "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "ExpansionShared.far" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)."
So then I looked into the folder that it is transferring everything into, and only a few files have been copied over. I tried clicking on the sims shortcut icon thing, but I just get another message saying "The Sims Complete requires Read & Write access to the "UserData" folder. The current user does not have Read & Write privileges. Install The Sims as the current user or log in as a user with sufficient privileges." I'm on the only account on my mac at the moment, and I'm just trying to install the game!
I really don't know what to do, and would be grateful for some help, as I've been wanting to play this game for ages!

Help!

orange12345

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
I had the exact same problem but got mine to work. Click on the folder labeled "The Sims" that comes up when you insert the disk, and within that folder find the subfolder labeled "UserData". Click on this folder and then go to File>Get Info. Under the section "Sharing & Permissions" at the bottom it should read "you can only read". Now go back and drag only the "UserData" folder individually directly to your hard drive. Now click on the UserData folder thats now on your hard drive and go to File>Get Info. The "Sharing & Permissions section should now say "you can read and write". Now try dragging the entire Sims Complete Collection folder and it should begin to install. This worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.