PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM for iPhone Arrives in App Store

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/18/sirius-xm-for-iphone-arrives-in-app-store/)

Sirius XM Radio today announced (http://investor.sirius.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=390464) the availability of SIRIUS XM Premium Online [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317951436&mt=8), Free for Subscribers] for the iPhone and iPod touch, offering Sirius XM Premium Online subscribers access to 120 online radio channels.

Users of iPhone and iPod touch with an Internet subscription to SIRIUS or XM have access to exclusive sports and entertainment programming from SIRIUS XM's satellite radio service, including, Oprah Radio, MLB Home Plate, Martha Stewart Living Radio, SIRIUS NFL Radio, NHL Home Ice, PGA TOUR, Opie & Anthony, Mad Dog Radio with Chris Russo, Playboy Radio, The Foxxhole comedy channel presented by Jamie Foxx, Blue Collar Comedy Radio, CNN, Fox News Talk and NPR.

SIRIUS and XM subscribers can also listen to 100% commercial-free music featuring exclusive shows from SIRIUS XM's satellite radio service such as Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour and Tom Petty's Buried Treasure, as well as 24/7 music channels such as Bruce Springsteen's E Street Radio, The Grateful Dead Channel, Eminem's Shade 45, Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville, "Little Steven" Van Zandt's Underground Garage and Outlaw Country channels, B.B. King's Bluesville, Willie Nelson's Willie's Place, Elvis Radio, Siriusly Sinatra, Metropolitan Opera Radio and many others.

Unfortunately, a number of popular Sirius XM offerings, including Howard Stern and channels covering several live sporting events, are not available on the iPhone and iPod touch.

Some select programming, including MLB Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

Current Sirius subscribers who do not have the Internet Radio package required for SIRIUS XM Premium Online for the iPhone can upgrade for an additional $2.99/month fee on top of their regular subscription, while non-subscribers can obtain the a standalone Internet Radio package for $12.95/month. Sirius is also offering a free seven-day trial for the new iPhone service.

Article Link: Sirius XM for iPhone Arrives in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/18/sirius-xm-for-iphone-arrives-in-app-store/)

vassillios
Jun 18, 2009, 09:33 AM
No Howard? Sux! Serious dropped the ball on this one.

Roy Hobbs
I've been using this App all morning. So far its been great.
Some people will complain about the lack of Howard Stern, but I could care less.

iphone529
No Howard? Sux! Serious dropped the ball on this one.

DROPPED IT BIG TIME. Look at the stock, taking a dive today because of no HOWARD. Would have been a good day for gains too. BOOOOOOOOO.

s4mb4
Jun 18, 2009, 09:37 AM
this is stupid. 20 million subscribers and 12 million of them are there for Howard only. thank goodness for Pocket Tunes.

vincenzo7
Jun 18, 2009, 09:37 AM
I wrote an article on which program allows you to listen to Howard (http://digg.com/d1uB7G)

citrusgoofy
Jun 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Seriously? This App is going to fail! Who in their right mind is going to pay that expensive monthly subscription just for their iPhone? This App was most definitely meant for current Sirius subscribers. Internet radio is free and better. Sirius may promise "no commercials" but its still filled with their crappy own ads.

okapi
Jun 18, 2009, 09:46 AM
It seems that the Sirrius XM app in not in the canadian store.

bspence
Jun 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
Now I can be less productive at work! I don't care that it doesn't have Howard, I'm more into Opie and Anthony/Ron and Fez. As for paying the $3/month just to have it on my iPhone, well I can take my iPhone anywhere, which is better than what I can do with my car radio. This is great!

rk1228
Jun 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Only SOME of their music stations are commercial free. Others are filled with commercials and the commercials are long and sometimes offensive (i.e. Adam and Eve.)

The playlist of some of the channels is also quite limited. Within two weeks of having Sirius, they were already replaying the same things over and over, rarely introducing new material.

Even though Sirius was free in my car, I still use my iPhone for FREE internet radio and more variety.

Rychiar
Jun 18, 2009, 10:00 AM
No Howard, another EPIC FAIL on the part of Sirius. this company is dead:mad:

Sinsinnati
Jun 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have two accounts and internet radio with Sirius but it won't allow me to log into the iPhone app because apparently you need a special premium radio account. I am livid that Sirius would alienate customers like myself that have prepaid for two years and already have a internet account. They want me to upgrade to "premium internet account" for $1.67 more a month.

App has been uninstalled, Sirius will not be renewed and I will be selling my Sirius stock.

natebookpro
Jun 18, 2009, 10:17 AM
I cant believe I have been anxiously awaiting this! They will probably change it after all the backlash they will be getting.

soLoredd
Jun 18, 2009, 10:19 AM
I have two accounts and internet radio with Sirius but it won't allow me to log into the iPhone app because apparently you need a special premium radio account. I am livid that Sirius would alienate customers like myself that have prepaid for two years and already have a internet account. They want me to upgrade to "premium" for a $1.67 a month.

App has been uninstalled, Sirius will not be renewed and I will be selling my Sirius stock.

Aside from the typical "I'm selling [company name] stock!", I too am pretty upset that they want $2.99 in addition to my monthly fee.

Take a page from Netflix, XM/Sirius.

Manzana
Jun 18, 2009, 10:26 AM
Management at XM Sirius are morons not to include Howard. They are completely inept. Howard is the only reason Sirius survived and not to include him in a package that can reach 50 Million subscribers is insane, it is ludicrous. I have never bought one of their radios because they are garbage. The iPod/iPhone vehicle is so much better than the stiletto, I am so disappointed, and will be even more so when Howard leaves at the end of his contract in a year because the suits at Sirius are going to completely tank this stock, which I unfortunately own. One thing I do not own is a subscription and now I never will. Good luck in BK court Sirius.

phineas
Jun 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Pay more per month and not have the full Sirius / XM package, not worth it in my book.

Heck I rarely turn on the satellite radio, got it free for a year when I bought the vehicle, if I could transfer my acct to the iPhone than I would but than I'd be draining the battery all day long . And since AT&T is screwing its customer base on the iPhone upgrading and not being able to get a new one with better battery life, makes it even worse.

I think they pulled Howard cause they did not want mommy and daddy to have to worry about little johnny listening to howard, gee if you wrote the app to block out certain channels and password protect it, you mite not have to worry

Not worth it in my opinion, :(

spazzcat
Jun 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
Pandora = Free :)

Slidemonster
Jun 18, 2009, 10:38 AM
I don't understand some of these replies.... if you want an iphone, you pay the premium for the "privilege" of the exclusive service of AT&T to use it.

Wouldn't the same applies for Howard on SiriusXM. They have the exclusive on his contract, why not charge something more for this service? Think of it like a "tethering plan" for an additional $30 per month from ATT (or whatever they will be charging when its available). How is this ANY different?

I can't blame Sirius for this decision at all. Heck, if people can afford the premium iphone and subscription services, I'm certain most of these people who are also true Howard fans can afford the few extra bucks per month.

It's what needs to happen to make a profit.... compare it to any so-called "free" radio over the am/fm, streaming etc. Somebody has to get paid to provide the service, and I don't see Clear Channel (as they are very close in filing for bankruptcy protection) making money right now as they and other similar companies are feverishly scrambling to restructure debt.

Life is unfair - yes, but we all have to deal with it.

s4mb4
Jun 18, 2009, 10:48 AM
second comment after downloading....
this app blows. it played for about 30 seconds and then just buffers endlessly.
This is the app that got approved and not Jason Millards Star Playr. what a joke.

jecapaga
Jun 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't understand some of these replies.... if you want an iphone, you pay the premium for the "privilege" of the exclusive service of AT&T to use it.

Wouldn't the same applies for Howard on SiriusXM. They have the exclusive on his contract, why not charge something more for this service? Think of it like a "tethering plan" for an additional $30 per month from ATT (or whatever they will be charging when its available). How is this ANY different?

I can't blame Sirius for this decision at all. Heck, if people can afford the premium iphone and subscription services, I'm certain most of these people who are also true Howard fans can afford the few extra bucks per month.

It's what needs to happen to make a profit.... compare it to any so-called "free" radio over the am/fm, streaming etc. Somebody has to get paid to provide the service, and I don't see Clear Channel (as they are very close in filing for bankruptcy protection) making money right now as they and other similar companies are feverishly scrambling to restructure debt.

What about this are you not understanding? I already pay a subscription per month to Sirius. They want me to pay even more now to access this via my phone (fine) but on top of that, they aren't giving me the ability to listen to Howard which is pretty much the only reason I signed up in the first place. This app is useless to me. A sirius fail.

soundsgoodtome
Jun 18, 2009, 10:53 AM
Some people will complain about the lack of Howard Stern, but I could care less.

Don't you mean you couldn't care less?

Djs621
Jun 18, 2009, 10:54 AM
Can you run the app in the background?

slu
Jun 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
No Howard is very, very dumb. They could potentially get lots of iPhone owners to pay $12.95 a month for their Internet Radio only sub if he was available.

And the person that said some of the music channels have commercials is dead wrong. All of the talk channels have commercials, but none of the music channels.

And you think an Adam & Eve commercial is offensive? If that is the case, you probably shouldn't listen to any radio because you are probably offended by almost everything.

slu
Jun 18, 2009, 10:56 AM
Can you run the app in the background?

You can't run any app in the background except for iPod.

iampotts
Jun 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
Can't believe they dropped the ball with Howard

diamondcutter
Jun 18, 2009, 11:00 AM

Uh....................what everyone is complaining about is the fact that Siriusxm IS charging a premium fee without offering their flagship PREMIUM station. At this moment, listening to Howard Stern is not even an option through this new app that was supposed to expand their listener base. What they have done is abandon their core audience that was eagerly anticipating this app for the ability to listen to Howard wherever, or whenever they want

Djs621
Jun 18, 2009, 11:00 AM
In that case I need to echo everyone else, who needs it when there are so many other free music offerings.. Unless they give you the ability to record or something else worthwhile

soundsgoodtome
Jun 18, 2009, 11:01 AM

Your "logic" is completely flawed.

Fact: We already pay for Sirius -- for all of its content, including Howard.

Fact: With our current subscriptions, we can already listen to Sirius online -- to all of its content, including Howard.

Fact: The new, iPhone app requires an additional subscription (i.e., more money) -- but even if we pay the additional, monthly fee, they have omitted the most popular show on the network.

Sure, there are about 12 subscribers who don't listen to Howard (like the one above who ignorantly said he could "care less"). But the vast majority of subscribers will be angered by this omission -- especially if they purchase it before realizing what's been omitted. (Sirius XM's web site mentions nothing of the omission.)

What part of this is so difficult for you to understand?

voiceofreason23
Jun 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
It was worth the wait. And anyone who complains that the app sucks because there is no Howard, maybe you should reconsider who is to blame for why Howard is not on the App. Its not Sirius, its Howard. From Day 1, he has never been a team player. By the way, Howard is the reason why the stock is in the shape its in.

When it comes to the actual app, the only thing i think it should use is a search feature, other then that...great app.

slu
Jun 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
I had the app for less than 5 minutes.

When they started to charge more for internet streaming to the computer, I was told if I pre-paid for a year, I wouldn't have to pay the fee. But now I have a "Basic" subscription, so I can't use the app. But I can stream over the computer?

It is not worth it. I have threatened many times, but I am quitting and getting a refund. I don't even listen to Howard anymore, so I don't know why I bother. I guess it is my own fault.

Sinsinnati
Jun 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
What about this are you not understanding? I already pay a subscription per month to Sirius. They want me to pay even more now to access this via my phone (fine) but on top of that, they aren't giving me the ability to listen to Howard which is pretty much the only reason I signed up in the first place. This app is useless to me. A sirius fail.

And, I already have the Sirius internet add-on. I am not gripping about this from a user that doesn't have the internet add-on. I have it and can listen to Sirius online now. With all this considered, Sirius has blocked me from accessing their content on the iPhone because I do not have the "premium internet" package.

s4mb4
Jun 18, 2009, 11:07 AM
It was worth the wait. And anyone who complains that the app sucks because there is no Howard, maybe you should reconsider who is to blame for why Howard is not on the App. Its not Sirius, its Howard. From Day 1, he has never been a team player. By the way, Howard is the reason why the stock is in the shape its in.

When it comes to the actual app, the only thing i think it should use is a search feature, other then that...great app.

u must be using it over WiFi cuz over 3G it does not even load. It is a crap app.

iKatz
Jun 18, 2009, 11:07 AM

You're an idiot. Howard is not even available through the iPhone app. That's why people are mad. It is frustrating, though, to have to pay the additional 2.99 even if you have an internet radio account.

POCKET TUNES ALL THE WAY!!!!!

iSaga
Jun 18, 2009, 11:09 AM

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You have said the same thing in multiple threads on the subject now and are completely clueless on the subject. Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

MadDog31
Jun 18, 2009, 11:18 AM
EDIT: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7865267&postcount=46

voiceofreason23
Jun 18, 2009, 11:20 AM
u must be using it over WiFi cuz over 3G it does not even load. It is a crap app.

actually, i still have the original iPhone and it worked perfectly over the Edge Network.

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 11:31 AM
I love all these people who think Sirius/XM purposefully left off their favorite channels (Howard, NFL/MLB Audio broadcasts). You don't think Sirius wants to include them to increase their listener base?

The answer is very simple, and has been pointed out numerous times. Sirius/XM does not have the LEGAL right to offer these channels under the terms of their contracts with Howard or the NFL or MLB. Music/performance rights, like most copyright use agreements, are highly specific on the MEDIUM through which you may use the rights you are licensing. It appears that when Sirius signed up Howard, Howard did not authorize Sirius to provide his content on mobile phones. The Starplayr and Pocket Radio examples are different as both were essentially simple extensions of the web streaming by THIRD parties. NOT BY SIRIUS.

So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

(And yes, I have professional experience in this setting....)

And I have been using it on 3G all morning. Sound quality is good. Only cut out once (timed out for non-use....). Sure, it may have bugs, but most 1st gen apps do. As for paying more, I already pay 2.99 for premium online access. I do not have an additional fee for iPhone use. So I pay for my dedicated radios (2-xm, 1-sirius (6month demo on new car)), I pay for online access (already was paying this). I can use all 3 radios, any computer and my iPhones.... I am satisfied with the app.

pmjoe
Jun 18, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm surprised they're charging even more for this on top of their existing Internet service fee (and I can't remember what else "premium" service includes). I used to listen to Sirius online when it was included with their radio service, but I didn't listen to it enough to pay for it. There is plenty of other content out there on the Internet without having to pay for Sirius. Satellite radio is great though.

As to all the Howard folk, I doubt this has anything to do with a failure on Sirius' fault. I'm sure Howard's lawyer was right there saying you can't broadcast him on the iPhone because that's not the same media format as the Internet we have written in our contract, give us $$$$$$.

ssanders79
Jun 18, 2009, 11:38 AM
I've been a subscriber since Nov 2004. I just listen to Howard 100, 101 and the NFL games. I do not pay for the Premium Online so this app will not work for me. I am not willing to pay another $3/mo for the right to legally listen on my iPhone. Considering, Stern is not avaliable I am completely disappointed with this offering.

I've been listening to Howard via my computer for with my basic (free) online stream included with my subscription the last few weeks as I have not had the time to properly install my sirius antenna in my new house.

What a joke. Sirius wake up... When Howard leaves you'll lose a ton of subscribers.

I am even willing to pay a few bucks for an app that would allow me to use my free online stream with Howard's channels.

Superman07
Jun 18, 2009, 11:44 AM
I love all these people who think Sirius/XM purposefully left off their favorite channels (Howard, NFL/MLB Audio broadcasts). You don't think Sirius wants to include them to increase their listener base?

The answer is very simple, and has been pointed out numerous times. Sirius/XM does not have the LEGAL right to offer these channels under the terms of their contracts with Howard or the NFL or MLB. Music/performance rights, like most copyright use agreements, are highly specific on the MEDIUM through which you may use the rights you are licensing. It appears that when Sirius signed up Howard, Howard did not authorize Sirius to provide his content on mobile phones. The Starplayr and Pocket Radio examples are different as both were essentially simple extensions of the web streaming by THIRD parties. NOT BY SIRIUS.

So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

And I have been using it on 3G all morning. Sound quality is good. Only cut out once (timed out for non-use....). Sure, it may have bugs, but most 1st gen apps do. As for paying more, I already pay 2.99 for premium online access. I do not have an additional fee for iPhone use. So I pay for my dedicated radios (2-xm, 1-sirius (6month demo on new car)), I pay for online access (already was paying this). I can use all 3 radios, any computer and my iPhones.... I am satisfied with the app.

Thank you for a well written statement that sums up the issue. I'd also like to add, "No Howard = Fail" also makes no sense as an outright statement. I agree that it is unfortunately (as is something like NFL being missing), but not everybody joined Sirius (or XM) to listen to Howard. Shocking, I know. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to use it on my 1G phone, but that's a technology limitation. Otherwise I'm more than happy with the channel lineup, especially since they have added online only channels to help broaden the scope.

Oman
Jun 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
I love the new APP... never liked Howard Stern, had the best of sirius for a week and dropped it. I am an original XM subscriber. The channels I love are available thus I already upgraded to the premium account. Now I can listen to the Foxxhole everywhere.

Dont blame sirius for the greediness of Howard Stern. I am already enjoying listening. So So good!!

Methodman1977
Jun 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure which is more embarrassing...this app or Gary's first pitch! :D

Similar to what other posters have said, I bet that Howard isn't on this app because of Howard...not Sirius. I do believe however that if Sirius wanted Howard on the app bad enough, they could do it. It seems like it would be a good opportunity for them to reach more customers.

Maybe Howard wants too much of the premium that Sirius is charging their customers? I guess that $500,000,000 isn't enough.:eek:

Oh well...I guess I'll delete this app and go get the Jackie Button!

Thanks for nothing $tern.

MannyV
Jun 18, 2009, 12:21 PM
Sirius radio should be called.."Seriously??"

How many times have they dropped the ball. How do you leave out the one person that has saved your company? Dont kid yourself, many many listeners have Sirius for Howard Stern. I dont care how much it cost but at least give me the option to listen to his show on my Iphone. How lame! I'm buying Pocket Tunes right now!

Rob Mclovin
Jun 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
The times I love being and Opie And Anthony fan!!!

Frrrrrruuuuhhnnnnnnnkkkiisss!

iphone529
Jun 18, 2009, 12:25 PM

Your wrong, Howard welcomed an app like this, he said it on his show. Why would he exclude himself and get all this bad press for Sirius. He is not that stupid

Superman07
Jun 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
Then maybe somebody should call his show and ask him. Perhaps they already did so today.

SpaceKitty
Jun 18, 2009, 12:47 PM

Same! It's about time we have this. I went to sleep listening to XM even though we have three XM portable radios. It's not the same having those.

I love Ron & Fez!

Oman
Jun 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
I just found that my GF and I can listen on our iPhone's at the same time using the same account. I read earlier on engadget I believe that you can not use the Web version and iPhone app at the same time. I have not tried that yet, however two iPhone's can use the same credentials and be logged in listening at the same time. :apple:

SpaceKitty
Jun 18, 2009, 12:52 PM
You're an idiot. Howard is not even available through the iPhone app. That's why people are mad. It is frustrating, though, to have to pay the additional 2.99 even if you have an internet radio account.

POCKET TUNES ALL THE WAY!!!!!

You still have to pay for XM through Pocket Tunes plus the cost of the app.

mattster16
Jun 18, 2009, 12:54 PM
Why would anyone pay for Sirius? All their channels suck and repeat the same things over and over, not to mention the sound quality is sub cd-quality due to them trimming the bitrate more and more in order to service more people with less bandwidth.

Soon as the free 6-month trial that came with my car expires that'll be the end of my experience with Sirius.

Kidd38s
Jun 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
The times I love being and Opie And Anthony fan!!!

Frrrrrruuuuhhnnnnnnnkkkiisss!

O&A PARTY ROCK FTW!

Great day. I also already subscribed to xm online and couldn't be happier with this app. It may very well be the one to kick pocket god to the second screen.

SpaceKitty
Jun 18, 2009, 01:02 PM
O&A PARTY ROCK FTW!

Great day. I also already subscribed to xm online and couldn't be happier with this app. It may very well be the one to kick pocket god to the second screen.

The only time I ever listened to Pocket Tunes was for XM. Now it gets deleted with this XM app!

Opie and Anthony keep getting their contract renewed. If they had 0 listeners, XM would not be wasting the money in the shape they are in.

I can't stand Howard myself (I live in Denver where they yanked him off the air shortly after Columbine :) ) and I'm actually kind of glad he's not on here.
Him allong with all the expensive othernames they paid thinking it was going to help. Remember when Howard got so upset because not everyone followed him to Sirius?

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Your wrong, Howard welcomed an app like this, he said it on his show. Why would he exclude himself and get all this bad press for Sirius. He is not that stupid

Actually, I can guarantee I am right. I'm guessing you're not a lawyer. There is a reason why Howard would refuse. I've yet to see a content rightsholder GIVE away their rights. Howard's contract does not cover mobile platforms like cellular phones. The only way Sirius can add Howard to the iPhone app is to license the rights from Howard. My guess is that Howard wants too much money for those rights (especially since the iPhone app is free).

The only way this changes is if Sirius creates a paid app or in-app subscription to the Howard channels and pays a portion of the fees to Howard.

PS: Here is the support (where's your proof): From the Sirius iPhone App FAQ at http://www.siriusxm.com/oniphone/indexd.xmc?utm_source=ONIPHONEDIRECT&utm_medium=Other&utm_campaign=APP#faq12

"Why don't certain channels appear on my iPhone / iPod Touch?
SIRIUS Subscribers visit:
SIRIUS & XM offer all of the channels for which we have mobile performance rights. For that reason, certain channels which may be available on your satellite radio or online radio service may not be available on a mobile device like the iPhone."

iphone529
Jun 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
Actually, I can guarantee I am right. I'm guessing you're not a lawyer. There is a reason why Howard would refuse. I've yet to see a content rightsholder GIVE away their rights. Howard's contract does not cover mobile platforms like cellular phones. The only way Sirius can add Howard to the iPhone app is to license the rights from Howard. My guess is that Howard wants too much money for those rights (especially since the iPhone app is free).

The only way this changes is if Sirius creates a paid app or in-app subscription to the Howard channels and pays a portion of the fees to Howard.

PS: Here is the support (where's your proof): From the Sirius iPhone App FAQ at http://www.siriusxm.com/oniphone/indexd.xmc?utm_source=ONIPHONEDIRECT&utm_medium=Other&utm_campaign=APP#faq12

SIRIUS & XM offer all of the channels for which we have mobile performance rights. For that reason, certain channels which may be available on your satellite radio or online radio service may not be available on a mobile device like the iPhone."

Your assuming to much, you have not seen the contract, so you can not prove your correct, nor can I.

jecapaga
Jun 18, 2009, 02:02 PM

So why hasn't Sirius or the Howard machine issued a cease and desist to Pocket Tunes for allowing the ability to broadcast the show on the iPhone platform when they most certainly don't have "mobile rights"?

imac abuser
Jun 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
GIVE US STERN!!!!!!

That's the only reason I would buy this.

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
So why hasn't Sirius or the Howard machine issued a cease and desist to Pocket Tunes for allowing the ability to broadcast the show on the iPhone platform when they most certainly don't have "mobile rights"?

Because Pocket Tunes is really nothing moe than a crude tie into the web stream. Which is licensed for use on any platform. Think of Pocket Tunes as being like Firefox, a different browser tech.

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 02:20 PM
Your assuming to much, you have not seen the contract, so you can not prove your correct, nor can I.

I am making an informed opinion based on a long professional career AND the statement of the licensee itself. I think that is pretty strong proof.

iKatz
Jun 18, 2009, 02:25 PM
You still have to pay for XM through Pocket Tunes plus the cost of the app.

The app is a flat fee of $9.99, not 8.99/month.

Also, whatever content you can get through your sirius/xm receiver, you can get on pocket tunes. No extra cost.

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
Also, whatever content you can get through your sirius/xm receiver, you can get on pocket tunes. No extra cost.

Not true. There are several channels on Sirius and XM sat. broadcast schedules that are not available on line (through web or via a source like Pocket Tunes). Why? For the same reason Howard and others are not in the iPhone app. Sirius/XM lack the performance/braodcast rights to stream those channels over the web (particularly live sports broadcasts).

SpaceKitty
Jun 18, 2009, 03:02 PM
The app is a flat fee of $9.99, not 8.99/month.

You still have to pay for the cost of the monthly internet charge to get XM through Pocket Tunes. I know because thats what I had to do to listen to XM through my pocket tunes app.

sjsutton
Jun 18, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'm liking the Sirius/XM app, and am currently a Sirius subscriber (without the 3 dollar internet option). I signed up for the 7-day trial so I can test drive it before committing to the 3 bucks a month on my account. If I choose to do that, how do I can change my e-mail address and password in the iPhone app? I can't find anywhere in the settings to change login credentials.

Any insight would be appreciated.

gr8tfly
Jun 18, 2009, 03:11 PM
I was all excited about having Sirius on the iPhone until...

"Premium"? I already have a lifetime membership account with them for the sat radio in my vehicle. This already (as mentioned by others) gives me access to internet streaming. There is no way I'm paying a cent more, Howard Stern or no. If the "premium shows" are the cause, then just have an upgrade (which can be charged right from the app now, in 3.0).

App. Uninstalled.

FStream will work just fine.

muddy cleats
Jun 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
it's for the 128k stream.
I've had Sirius Premium since they have offered it. and love the better sound quality.
Blame Howard for not allowing his channels not Sirius. My God they had people a truly portable player for free or $3. a month and people complain.

this thing could be totally free with no subscription and people would still complain...

FastangV6
Jun 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
Just so happens that I sold my vehicle with the sat radio in it earlier this week. Switched my account from the vehicle to the online premium plan for the remainder of my contract today. Looks like I'll be connecting the iphone to the car stereo to get sat radio in the new vehicle and wherever I have my phone. App has run flawless for me over 3G for the past 4 hours. Nice!

No Howard, MLB, etc. Yeah, they would've been nice, but they are not why I subscribed in the first place....

gr8tfly
Jun 18, 2009, 04:30 PM
it's for the 128k stream.
I've had Sirius Premium since they have offered it. and love the better sound quality.
Blame Howard for not allowing his channels not Sirius. My God they had people a truly portable player for free or $3. a month and people complain.

this thing could be totally free with no subscription and people would still complain...

I understand the higher bit rate part, however, I would like the option of any access vs all (128kbps) or none. I think a lot of subscribers are in the same boat and expected to at least have the same access as other streaming apps (there are both Sirius and 3rd party StarPlayr2 on OS-X).

I suppose they could do a "lite" version, but they've pretty much covered that with the free trial.

BG-Mac
Jun 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
No Howard = No buy for me.. :mad:

Eric S.
Jun 18, 2009, 06:31 PM
So it's still not clear to me ... since I already have a Sirius/XM receiver (car radio), it would cost me $3/month to use this app, is that right?

ScottNWDW
Jun 18, 2009, 06:53 PM
I love Sirius and have been a loyal customer since 2004. Personally I could care less about Howard Stern and never once had the inclination to listen to him even before Sirius.

The reason that windbag Howard is not included in the online feed is simple, LEGAL Matters as explained on the Sirius Website...

"SIRIUS & XM offer all of the channels for which we have mobile performance rights. For that reason, certain channels which may be available on your satellite radio or online radio service may not be available on a mobile device like the iPhone."

Howard, the NBA, Nascar, MLB and many other stations fall under this category.

SIRIUS & XM do not have the rights to those stations for mobile performance so legally they cannot be included. You can thank Howard Stern for that because it's in HIS contract at HIS request.

One great thing I have discovered with the Sirius app ion the iPhone is now I can plug it into my iHome and listen to my favorite shows through the iHome's radio. The sound is awesome and well worth the extra 2.99 on my bill

jecapaga
Jun 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
Over 1,000 reviews already over on itunes and almost every single one rates it one star and is wondering where's howard. I just picked up Pocket Tunes.

BG-Mac
Jun 18, 2009, 09:41 PM
I was so looking forward to this until I realized there was no Howard. Hopefully they come to their senses and get it done.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
So it's still not clear to me ... since I already have a Sirius/XM receiver (car radio), it would cost me $3/month to use this app, is that right?

Yes. It's called a ripoff. SiriusXM has a failed business model because they have no way to make money other than to raise rates (since they've pretty much saturated the "willing-to-pay-for-radio" market). Since the merger, there is no competition for "commercial-free" (which is a joke since Sirius is littered with ads for Sirius events/products/stations/etc.) radio, so they can charge whatever they want, even though part of the merger agreement was that they wouldn't/couldn't.

So yes, they are just going to rape their current customer base until they eventually go bankrupt. Enjoy!

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 18, 2009, 09:48 PM
SIRIUS & XM do not have the rights to those stations for mobile performance so legally they cannot be included. You can thank Howard Stern for that because it's in HIS contract at HIS request.

My wife has Sirius in her car; it's pretty mobile.

hogprint
Jun 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
snip...... and I will be selling my Sirius stock.

Um, you should have done that long ago. Long, long ago.

akutad
Jun 18, 2009, 10:07 PM
Just a thought. I know they seem pretty conservative and The Howard Stern Show my have been a little over the top for them to swallow.

SteveLV702
Jun 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
gotta say I am getting a little angry... I have a XM Radio LifeTime subscription and got it before they even offered to the public... Now I listen to XM Radio on my computer all the time yet I downloaded the Sirius/XM App for the iPhone enter my login info and says I am not a Premium Member... and I logged into my account and shows "Basic XMRO Lifetime XM Everything 32K" and there is no option to Upgrade to Premium and when I call XM Customer Care they have no idea whats going on and where unable to help me...

mgamber
Jun 18, 2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, it's a real crock. I tried it using my creds from my "lifetime" account and it wouldn't work. I immediately deleted it figuring it's a pretty poorly written app, all the channels aren't available and now I have to jump through more hoops to do on the precious iphone what I've been able to do on a computer for years? No no, screw that. Besides, as I mentioned elsewhere, Orb works fine PLUS I can listen to any channel available via their streaming service. After all the hype about this app, the least it could have done was not totally suck.

Eric S.
Jun 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
... there is no competition for "commercial-free" (which is a joke since Sirius is littered with ads for Sirius events/products/stations/etc.) radio, ...

Yeah, I was originally an XM subscriber. XM had a lot of self-promotions but it seems many times worse since Sirius got involved. Also a few of the features I used to like seem to have been dumped, so I was happier before the merger occurred.

jecapaga
Jun 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
Just a thought. I know they seem pretty conservative and The Howard Stern Show my have been a little over the top for them to swallow.

Well, no. The Playboy channel works just fine on the app and there is stuff broadcast on that channel that is at least as provocative as anything on the Stern show, if not more so.

bitslap47
Jun 19, 2009, 06:32 AM
I just wanted to clarify for purposes of my own sanity....

This is NOT the uSirius StarPlayr application we (Jason Millard [iPhone] and myself [Server Side, Windows and Windows Mobile]) developed for Sirius along with NiceMac.

Personally I think besides the poor decision to launch without Howard and sports, the application is lacking the polish our Alpha and Beta versions had.

Of course, I am a little biased... but just wanted to make the point this is NOT our application.

cc999
Jun 19, 2009, 06:53 AM
Bitslap any chance of your app being released?????????????

Charlie C

seanofthedead
Jun 19, 2009, 07:31 AM
I'm with the majority on this one---Not having Howard is such a dumb idea. People say that it's because he's controversial and has lots of adult content.

Yet the Playboy channel is on here.

WTF, Sirius.

bitslap47
Jun 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
Bitslap any chance of your app being released?????????????

Charlie C

Not for SiriusXM.

bitslap47
Jun 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm with the majority on this one---Not having Howard is such a dumb idea. People say that it's because he's controversial and has lots of adult content.

Yet the Playboy channel is on here.

WTF, Sirius.

I guarantee at this point it has nothing to do with the adult content.

s4mb4
Jun 19, 2009, 07:57 AM
actually, i still have the original iPhone and it worked perfectly over the Edge Network.

look down... your pants are on fire.

bbotte
Jun 19, 2009, 08:10 AM
I just wanted to clarify for purposes of my own sanity....

This is NOT the uSirius StarPlayr application we (Jason Millard [iPhone] and myself [Server Side, Windows and Windows Mobile]) developed for Sirius along with NiceMac.

Personally I think besides the poor decision to launch without Howard and sports, the application is lacking the polish our Alpha and Beta versions had.

Of course, I am a little biased... but just wanted to make the point this is NOT our application.

Please release it for Jailbroken phones and I will Jailbreak mine. :) I miss your Mac App on my MacBook Air, it was so cool and easy.

ssanders79
Jun 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
If my memory serves me right Howard was not avaliable online when he first started at Sirius. It took a month or so after countless complaints to Sirius and the Show. Howard was all for his channels to be avaliable online at that time. Back when the nicemac guy called the show he was excited and even said it would sway him to buy an iphone.

I think 100 & 101 will make thier way to the app just like they did to the online streams. I just hope sirius grows up and allows those of us with the free basic online stream to use this app.

Side note: It would be great if this app could run in the background!! Let me worry about my battery life.

RaZaK
Jun 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
some content providers on Sirius may not want their programming on the iPhone, or their contracts with Sirius may have more red tape to cut through to get an additional distribution channel.

I'm sure the company is working on getting their content on the air. :D It's nothing that a future update can't fix.

jcostaman
Jun 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
Does this work for the 3GS? It was workin fin on my 3G and now I can't get it on the 3GS

dacube
Jun 22, 2009, 08:14 AM

I agree, he is a pig anyway, I have been a huge fan of Sirius for many years, have it on the Mac Mini and I just love the fact that I can get it on my new 3G S. TOTALY rocks

dacube
Jun 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
gotta say I am getting a little angry... I have a XM Radio LifeTime subscription and got it before they even offered to the public... Now I listen to XM Radio on my computer all the time yet I downloaded the Sirius/XM App for the iPhone enter my login info and says I am not a Premium Member... and I logged into my account and shows "Basic XMRO Lifetime XM Everything 32K" and there is no option to Upgrade to Premium and when I call XM Customer Care they have no idea whats going on and where unable to help me...

I used to be a XM customer too, until they treated me like dirt. I have been a Sirius customer since, I an a premium customer however, and i have it on the iPhone 3G S, works very well too.:)

Kyle23
Jun 22, 2009, 01:08 PM
I used to listen to Howard when he was on the regular airwaves. I would have switched to Sirius iPhone if he was gonna be on their.

diamondcutter
Jun 23, 2009, 04:34 AM
So now we know the truth.......someone got through to the Strrn show and asked why he wasn't on the app. ANSWER: MONEY it is Howard's decision that they weren't included on the app because of contractual reason regarding the rights of his show. He said apple was making plenty of money and that he wasn't going to help them make more without getting a slice. And there you have it. Once again it allmighty green once again intervenes. Are youas pissed asi am? On one side I can see his point, but on the other, for subscribers that have been listening for years should be able to get what they have been paying for, or for lifetime subscribers what they have already paid for. Just because they will not sell more radios doesn't mean a new paying subscriber will not inject more income into the company. He is the reason Sirius has survived to this point, now he might be their downfall.

bbotte
Jun 23, 2009, 09:32 AM
So now we know the truth.......someone got through to the Strrn show and asked why he wasn't on the app. ANSWER: MONEY it is Howard's decision that they weren't included on the app because of contractual reason regarding the rights of his show. He said apple was making plenty of money and that he wasn't going to help them make more without getting a slice. And there you have it. Once again it allmighty green once again intervenes. Are youas pissed asi am? On one side I can see his point, but on the other, for subscribers that have been listening for years should be able to get what they have been paying for, or for lifetime subscribers what they have already paid for. Just because they will not sell more radios doesn't mean a new paying subscriber will not inject more income into the company. He is the reason Sirius has survived to this point, now he might be their downfall.

Yep, So now all the weirdos saying it was "Apple" can see how insane they were.

Randman
Jun 23, 2009, 10:00 AM
I used to love Stern. Even met Ralph one night at Scores. But soon after Jackie left the show, I noticed quality decreased. Then I moved abroad for a few years. Coming back, I tried to listen to one show but couldn't make it through. I'm sadder about NFL not being there than greed-o stern.

SpaceKitty
Jun 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yep, So now all the weirdos saying it was "Apple" can see how insane they were.

I was saying it was Stern's fault when he came out and said it was rights issues. Yeah right. Only when it concerns his wallet.

We all know he doesn;t care about his fans. It's why I refuse to get the best of Sirius, at least XM knows I'm not listening.

sleeks
Jun 23, 2009, 10:56 AM
I was saying it was Stern's fault when he came out and said it was rights issues. Yeah right. Only when it concerns his wallet.

We all know he doesn;t care about his fans. It's why I refuse to get the best of Sirius, at least XM knows I'm not listening.

That does it for me...I'm not renewing my subscription when it comes up. WIth all the streaming radio apps, I don't need Sirius music...Howard was the only reason I kept my subscription.

I was hoping he would allow his show to be streamed.

And by the way Howard, Apple is not making one cent off of the Sirius application unless it actually sells more phones. I'm sure that there are a small amount of people on the fence about the iphone that might be swayed by Howard being available, but that is such a small number compared to what Apple can sell without him.

And by the way Howard (again), you are already available on the iphone. Having you available on the app would have possibly made it a little more convienient to listen, but pocket tunes is easy enough.

SpaceKitty
Jun 23, 2009, 11:00 AM
That does it for me...I'm not renewing my subscription when it comes up. WIth all the streaming radio apps, I don't need Sirius music...Howard was the only reason I kept my subscription.

I was hoping he would allow his show to be streamed.

And by the way Howard, Apple is not making one cent off of the Sirius application unless it actually sells more phones. I'm sure that there are a small amount of people on the fence about the iphone that might be swayed by Howard being available, but that is such a small number compared to what Apple can sell without him.

And by the way Howard (again), you are already available on the iphone. Having you available on the app would have possibly made it a little more convienient to listen, but pocket tunes is easy enough.

People don't realize that Stern is only available on Pocket Tunes with a Sirius sub or the best of Sirius add on. XM subs need to add the best of sirius to get him and this needs an internet sub through Sirius or XM to even get the service on Pocket Tunes so they still get the money no matter what.

diamondcutter
Jun 23, 2009, 11:20 AM
I highly recommend pocket tunes. The online listening application through the app looks just like you were sitting at your home/office computer. There is no reason to not get what you are paying for. The sound quality is fine, and you get any other streaming radio station that you can think of. The iphone uses the internet to log into your account so that you have access to your paid internet subscription. Therefore, whether you are using a laptop, pc, mac, or a f___ing rock that has internet access, you should have access to everything that you are spending your money on.

bbotte
Jun 24, 2009, 05:28 PM
I paid for pocket tunes. Even if Howard comes out with his own app now I am not using it. What a tool, the app is free, does he think he is going get a cut of iPhone sales? How else does he think he is making apple money?

SolRayz
Jun 25, 2009, 06:03 AM
ughhhh howard what are doing...:mad::confused:

GoCubsGo
Jun 30, 2009, 01:27 PM
ughhhh howard what are doing...:mad::confused:

What are doing? :/

I can't honestly believe Howard Stern is the reason to listen to Sirius. He's an untalented bafoon.

Be.Jammmin
Jun 30, 2009, 03:34 PM

I can't honestly believe Howard Stern is the reason to listen to Sirius. He's an untalented bafoon.

This from the person who has a cat licking his balls as an Avatar. Seems a bit contradicting...or at least the pot calling the kettle black.

But I guess that is why we live in the great this great country, were we are all entitled to our opinions.

Semper Fi,
B

bbotte
Jul 1, 2009, 08:21 AM

Have you watched Jay Leno's "jay walking"? Or how about "are you smarter than a 5th grader"?

sleeks
Jul 1, 2009, 10:06 AM
Have you watched Jay Leno's "jay walking"? Or how about "are you smarter than a 5th grader"?

Yup. Most everything Howard has done is being copied somewhere.

I for one listen regularly and enjoy his show. Most people who don't regularly listen have a cartain opinion of what his show his that is way off base. Sure that opinion is somewhat correct, but the show is much more than that.

Anyway, that is why I love America. If you don't like him just turn the dial.

Hopefully they can get the rights sorted out quickly.

bbotte
Jul 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yup. Most everything Howard has done is being copied somewhere.

I for one listen regularly and enjoy his show. Most people who don't regularly listen have a cartain opinion of what his show his that is way off base. Sure that opinion is somewhat correct, but the show is much more than that.

Anyway, that is why I love America. If you don't like him just turn the dial.

Hopefully they can get the rights sorted out quickly.

He is the best interviewer in this country right now, he asks the interesting questions, not just a whore to the celebrity project that the person is plugging by going on the show.

sleeks
Jul 1, 2009, 03:31 PM
This from the person who has a cat licking his balls as an Avatar. Seems a bit contradicting...or at least the pot calling the kettle black.

But I guess that is why we live in the great this great country, were we are all entitled to our opinions.

Semper Fi,
B

LOL...Avatar is now the Cubs logo.

MadDog31
Jul 1, 2009, 03:58 PM
I heard Howard won't be doing a show until July 13th, only to turn around and take the entire month of August off. On top of him having Fridays off.

That's definitely somebody that is there for his fans.

Be.Jammmin
Jul 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
LOL...Avatar is now the Cubs logo.

Maybe they saw the irony in the whole thing...

Oh well...back to the real issues. If we are able to listen to a channel online there is no reason we shouldn't be able to listen through our phones. Back to Orb I guess.

bbotte
Jul 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
Pocket tunes works great with a Sirius subscription. He is on the iPhone whether he permits it or not.

Blacklabel34
Jul 6, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have two accounts and internet radio with Sirius but it won't allow me to log into the iPhone app because apparently you need a special premium radio account. I am livid that Sirius would alienate customers like myself that have prepaid for two years and already have a internet account. They want me to upgrade to "premium internet account" for $1.67 more a month.

I say wait and see what they will offer you. Time are tough and in the beginning it's always difficult. Think back to the iphone when they weren't allowed to take people with business accounts. That sure changed due to demand (and not a clear plan by both ATT and Apple) Try back with them and see what they say in a month. I'm sure your not the only one. If enough people complain they will have to do something.

t-master
Sep 18, 2009, 07:36 AM
this iPhone App is in the "Austrian" Store not available!
itīs possible to get this app outside from the store?
Link over PM or so :-)

I listen sirius 3 weeks long in the us, great radio ever!

thx 4 help!

bitslap47
Sep 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
this iPhone App is in the "Austrian" Store not available!
itīs possible to get this app outside from the store?
Link over PM or so :-)

I listen sirius 3 weeks long in the us, great radio ever!

thx 4 help!

There are ways... but I 'm not sure if it's allowed to be talked about because the method you would use could also allow you to steal for-pay software as well.

You would need to jailbreak though.

jbennardo
Sep 18, 2009, 07:54 AM
Heya bitslap... how's it going man? Used to follow you on SFN.

Any new projects on the horizon for you guys?

t-master
Sep 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
the app is free in us, also i think itīs legal ... but austria have no licence rights, thats the problem!

also i have to pay for my sirius account, thats not the problem :)

any ideas? or you known other apps to can hear sirius?

thx

bitslap47
Sep 18, 2009, 08:14 AM
Heya bitslap... how's it going man? Used to follow you on SFN.

Any new projects on the horizon for you guys?

Yep.

iterum2 Subscription Free Radio available on:
Windows (Free):http://win.iterum2.com
iPhone/iPod Touch ($3.99): http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=327496090&mt=8
Windows Mobile: Coming October 6th

We have blogtalkradio Fantasy sports channel, some exclusive channels, and some big providers in the industry on board like RadioIO,1.fm and BCN comedy.

Windows Screenshot:
http://forums.geekstoolbox.com/image_store/win.jpg

iPhone/iPod Touch Screen Shot:
http://forums.geekstoolbox.com/image_store/iphone.jpg