Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I propose MacRumors create two separate "New Thread" buttons under each forum. The first button will remain as is, and is designed for a standard thread. The second button will be labeled "New Complaint", and will allow the person to write a huge complaint or gripe they have about something.

Then, each type of post has an icon indicating if its a useful post or just someone complaining. Thus, it will be easier to sort through constructive, thought provoking posts and those made by angry people. And say you are having a bad day and want to avoid reading everyone else's complaints, you can select to hide all complaints and boom, gone they go.

Neat, yes?

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I can see this as being problematic. People often write their problems and find meaningful resolutions here, so I wouldn't classify those as complaints persay.

Isn't what you're suggesting essentially a "new rant" button?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I can see this as being problematic. People often write their problems and find meaningful resolutions here, so I wouldn't classify those as complaints persay.

Isn't what you're suggesting essentially a "new rant" button?

Basically, yeah.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically many of these would be covered as is, because most of the complains threads are about some basic issue. I find similar threads and report them so the mods can merge them.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Oh, a "New Rant" button would be useful. They could be auto-Wastelanded, saving all sorts of time for the mods and the rest of us having to sort through them. :D

Instead of wastelanding the thread, it would be better if it:

1. Closed the thread
  2. Changed the post time to 48 hours prior (so it would appear on page 2 or 3 of the forum)
  3. put the thread starter in Time Out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.