Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
big dilema my screen on the MBA rev:A is so much better than the MBA rev:C. plus i don't really see much performance gain compared to the MBA rev:A 1,8 with SSD :confused:

MBA rev:C

MBA rev:A

both screens were set to full brightness and i used the same color profile on both of them!

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
yea, your revA looks much more clear with deeper/darker fonts, revC looks washed out, have you changed it from 1.8 to 2.2 in the calibration settings?

Call Apple for sure, also please report back letting us know how you make out.

Good luck with it.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
nope haven't change the calibration settings yet, will that help? cause the screen of the MBA rev:C really looks crappy compared to my MBA rev:A.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Watching some HD videos may just make you notice the difference between them :).

Every LCD is a bit different, even if you had the same screen model (unlikely since so far no one got anything else than 9C90 in rev C) it may look differently. Try calibrating it. By the way, do you have lines?

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
i'll try calibrating it later, nope i have no lines. and i also have the 9C90 panel.
I'll let u guys know if it helped ;)

oldaaplexec

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
yea, your revA looks much more clear with deeper/darker fonts, revC looks washed out, have you changed it from 1.8 to 2.2 in the calibration settings?

Call Apple for sure, also please report back letting us know how you make out.

Good luck with it.

How do I access these settings to change it on my MBA?

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Can you also post back about the performance comparison once you'd had a chance to test it out a little.

I'm curious if you notice any difference in any app's at all going from the 1.8 to 2.1???

well comparing it to my MBA rev:A it's only faster by 1 sec. by starting itunes, iphoto etc. and by booting up the MBA rev:C ist 5-7 seconds faster.

so I don't really see so much of a performance gain and i don't watch HD movies my MBA, that's where my PS3 comes in play ;)

i'm already thinking of giving it back to apple :confused:

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
well comparing it to my MBA rev:A it's only faster by 1 sec. by starting itunes, iphoto etc. and by booting up the MBA rev:C ist 5-7 seconds faster.

so I don't really see so much of a performance gain and i don't watch HD movies my MBA, that's where my PS3 comes in play ;)

i'm already thinking of giving it back to apple :confused:

The main difference between A and C is CPU and GPU... if you don't use them much, you won't notice any difference. The drive is SATA in B and C, which accounts for faster startup.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would suggest you put the original MBA display inside your new MBA then... I have read from others that it works! The only problem is it's older??? Could do it then sell the original with the inferior display, and at least advertise it as a new display...

Good luck!

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I would suggest you put the original MBA display inside your new MBA then... I have read from others that it works! The only problem is it's older??? Could do it then sell the original with the inferior display, and at least advertise it as a new display...

Good luck!

no it's not older^^
the display is brand new, was replaced 4 days ago by apple care :D

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Good luck!

I would NOT suggest you replace it with your old MBA display !!!

You just bought your new MBA, there is a problem with it - the screen isn't right. The correct thing to do is call Apple, express your disappointment and see what they'll do for you. They're known for good Customer Service take advantage of it.

The OP shelled out good money for a new computer, to get a better experience that he had with his revA, it's unfortunate he's thinking on returning it.

So, let's pitch in and give some sensible advice .... c'mon Scottsdale to suggest an end consumer replace a display on a notebook with an old one??? Gee, wonder if that would void the warranty? :rolleyes:

I hope Apple assists you to your satisfaction and you don't have to go back to your original MBA... the screen should be right, I saw a new MBA in the Apple store, the screen was very nice, you must of got a defective one.

Good luck with it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
no it's not older^^
the display is brand new, was replaced 4 days ago by apple care :D

Now why would Apple have different displays for the older MBAs that are perfect??? OR, IS THIS TRULY A CLUE THAT THERE'S SOMETHING DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE TWO MBAs???

I want to try putting a 9C90 inside an original MBA and see if the lines disappear. If you do this, please let me know the answer as I am working on this myself.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
well the panel 9C73 that i have in my MBA rev:A is flawless, but unfortunately my MBA rev:C 2,13GHz SSD panel is crap :(

going to call Apple later, lets see what they will say :apple:

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
just spoke with apple, they told me to take the machine to a Service Provider to get it fixed.
what i also find strange is that the MBA 2,13ghz already had 2 battery cycles and it's health is only at 97% :confused:

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I would NOT suggest you replace it with your old MBA display !!!

The correct thing to do is call Apple, express your disappointment and see what they'll do for you. They're known for good Customer Service take advantage of it.

Isn't the reason for all of this the fact Apple does NOT care? If you've been reading the forum, you know we are a bit beyond that point quite a while ago.

That's what I'm going to do if my rev C that is supposed to arrive tomorrow has a crap display. (Unless Scottsdale brings his magical fix.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.