Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Well if Apple take too long after this then all those stories about it being the label's fault and not Apple's will start to look a bit hollow. If Napster's up and running and iTunes isn't, why is that?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
The longer they wait, the more napster will build a strong user base, leaving less and less for iTMS. People won't switch form Napster to iTMS since they won't be able to play their napster purchased songs on an iPod.

Hurry up Apple! You can do it!

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
tofi said:
it is way too costy at 99 pence it is 1.77 american dollard

Just curious. How does that 99 pence price for a song compares to the price of a solid album (10-15 songs) you'd buy from a brick and mortar store?

99 pence does sound expensive but my bet is that Apple does'nt have the last word on pricing.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Seems a bit expensive to me at 99p or £1.09 for the non-subscription service. I think they are selling complete albums for £9.99.

Compared to HMV or Virgin Megastore this is OK (they charge anything from 11.99 to 15.99 for a CD album).

But, Supermarkets sell all the chart albums for about 8.99 or 9.99 and CD-WOW is also cheaper.

I won't be using Napster (or ITMS at these prices) for most of my music purchases. I may buy the odd song there.

To use it for all purchases it would have to be cheaper - or at least as cheap - as buying a CD - I guess around £7.50 for an album or 75p a track.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Well i for one am thinking about Napster for music but i think i read somewhere on the website PC only? not 100% sure on this but might need to dust down that wintel box from under the stairs just to download music that is legal ! i would rather pay apple my pound, but if they do not act quick and launch iTunes Europe i will be left with no choice !

o it also states that Napster have 500,000 songs already and will go up to 700,000 in the next month or so ? how long did it take apple to do this?

liketom

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So lemme get this straight, because I have something called common sense and this doesn't make any sense to me. Apple can't get iTMS Europe started because of problems with the big music labels/companies. Napster has/had to go through the same music labels to get permission to sell songs over the internet, and they got the permission they needed. Apple can't because they can't get permission to sell the exact same friggin thing! :confused:

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Abstract said:
So lemme get this straight, because I have something called common sense and this doesn't make any sense to me. Apple can't get iTMS Europe started because of problems with the big music labels/companies. Napster has/had to go through the same music labels to get permission to sell songs over the internet, and they got the permission they needed. Apple can't because they can't get permission to sell the exact same friggin thing! :confused:

It is worth noting that the Napster service is UK only. We can only hope that Apple is attempting a somewhat more wide reaching coverage at launch...

jx

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Abstract said:
Yes, they can't, and the reason was in an article a while ago. The labels are afraid to let apple be the first in every market to keep them from becoming another "MTV." Nice isn't it? :rolleyes:

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Let me get this straight , just downloaded Napster for my work PeeCee and to browse the list i need to sign up for a free 7 day trial , but by doing so i need to provide my credit card details!which is fine .....BUT! it says that if i want to continue i will have to pay £9.95 per month to be a menber?? it does not say if i get any songs for my £9.95 or what ? does it mean i can download songs at 99p so if i buy 10 songs it will cost me £9.90 for the songs and £9.95 for the pleasure of it ?????
can this be right ?? someone tell me

an apple user in a windows world

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.