PDA

View Full Version : Official Process for swapping SIM cards

joshalee
Jun 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
Got the discounted pricing on the 32gig 3GS. I currently have the 3G and she has a 2G. Want to confirm exactly the process for swapping the SIM's. The phone is being shipped from the online Apple store:

1. Do one last sync with Itunes so everything is current on both accounts
2. Open the 3GS

Here's what I need to confirm: Do I?
1. Swap the SIM cards and then re-sync with Itunes? My wife is taking the 3G
or
2. Have her activate through Itunes first and some of her content will synch and then change out the SIM cards?

Researched the forums and seen both processes.

AustinSTI
Jun 18, 2009, 03:54 PM
Got the discounted pricing on the 32gig 3GS. I currently have the 3G and she has a 2G. Want to confirm exactly the process for swapping the SIM's. The phone is being shipped from the online Apple store:

1. Do one last sync with Itunes so everything is current on both accounts
2. Open the 3GS

Here's what I need to confirm: Do I?
1. Swap the SIM cards and then re-sync with Itunes? My wife is taking the 3G
or
2. Have her activate through Itunes first and some of her content will synch and then change out the SIM cards?

Researched the forums and seen both processes.

I'm subscribing to this one. I believe simply putting your SIM in the 3GS and her SIM in the 3G will result in it being activated and everything working fine (without any need for itunes). That's what I was planning to do at least when mine arrives next week.

I don't thing the IMEI numbers are attached to the SIM and I have confirmed with ATT at least that swapping sims is possible just not sure on the how. I guess I'm thinking swapping sims first has less risk then activating through itunes first. If you activate through itunes first that SIM is then her number and info so you'd still need to swap yours with hers anyway...

joshalee
Jun 18, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thinking about it now, I would think you have to sync with Itunes because out of the box it shows that USB cable and the arrow like it did the last years when I bought the 2G and 3G. Otherwise what stops me from just ebaying the thing? I did the IMIE before the 2G Iphone when I was using a Treo and wanted a 3G LG but couldn't upgrade my device. I swapped the SIM cards and then called ATT. So, I think you take it out of the box, do the sync, then swap out the SIM cards and do another sync to update the data. It just needs to make sure the account tied to the 3GS has the correct data and is signed up for 2 more years.

Badandy
Jun 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm subscribing to this one. I believe simply putting your SIM in the 3GS and her SIM in the 3G will result in it being activated and everything working fine (without any need for itunes). That's what I was planning to do at least when mine arrives next week.

No, I already corrected you in another thread. I know, you've talked to 3 customer service reps, but they're misinformed. saDeRmac, an informed and knowledgable ATT CSR, has been answering questions on the upgrade swap thread.

Here's what you do:

1. Activate the phone according to whose upgrade you used. If you used your wife's upgrade, sync that with your computer. The computer you use doesn't matter, all that matters is you keep the original SIM in. Sync all your stuff over.

2. Switch SIM cards. Since you already synced the 3GS with your computer it already has all your data on it and your wife's SIM card meaning it's her number. Once you switch SIM cards it becomes completely yours. Your data, your number.

3. Call ATT and tell them you just performed an "upgrade swap". Read the IMEI numbers (found in the settings of your iPhone) to the customer service rep you're speaking to and tell them which line those IMEI's belong on.

That's it. If you do it the way you originally stated the warranty and contracts get switched and messed up. It will make it harder to deal with ATT in the future.

joshalee
Jun 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
1. Activate the phone according to whose upgrade you used. If you used your wife's upgrade, sync that with your computer. The computer you use doesn't matter, all that matters is you keep the original SIM in. Sync all your stuff

And then she would just take my 3G one and sync with her machine to get her data correct?

2. Switch SIM cards. Since you already synced the 3GS with your computer it already has all your data on it and your wife's SIM card meaning it's her number. Once you switch SIM cards it becomes completely yours. Your data, your number.

So this makes it quicker. I was actually thinking she should sync with her computer first and then do the swap, but it really doesn't matter, it's just the first sync that does the activation

Badandy
Jun 18, 2009, 04:45 PM
And then she would just take my 3G one and sync with her machine to get her data correct?

Yup.

So this makes it quicker. I was actually thinking she should sync with her computer first and then do the swap, but it really doesn't matter, it's just the first sync that does the activation

Yes, it's just a time saving maneuver. The new iPhone doesn't know which computer it wants to sync with first is, it just knows it wants to be activated by syncing with anything (we're assuming here that the iPhone is not in inanimate object). So just sync it with yours and swap SIMs. You got it.

Make sure to call ATT after to let them know which IMEI is associated with which number.

JosephBergdoll
Jun 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7777626&postcount=28

AbjectEvolution
Jun 18, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm going to try to sell my 3G on Craigslist tonight. Can I unlock and jailbreak the phone and then take my SIM out so that I can use it with my 3GS? It seems that is what everyone is doing but I wanted to make sure.

Fedorov
Jun 18, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for this useful info guys.

May I ask, if there are any complications if I'm using the SAME PC to sync both iPhones on?

So my wife gets the 3G S tomorrow, I should then sync it with iTunes on my PC and get all my data onto it.

Switch SIMS so the new 3G S becomes mine with my old 3G sim card now in it.
She gets my old 3G with her new SIM card in it.

I'm a little concerned that there could be a problem when I then sync both of them on my same PC/iTunes account?! :)

Being in the UK, I presume I need to call O2 and tell them I've done an "upgrade swap"?

Many thanks for your help

Fedorov.

Badandy
Jun 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for this useful info guys.

May I ask, if there are any complications if I'm using the SAME PC to sync both iPhones on?

So my wife gets the 3G S tomorrow, I should then sync it with iTunes on my PC and get all my data onto it.

Switch SIMS so the new 3G S becomes mine with my old 3G sim card now in it.
She gets my old 3G with her new SIM card in it.

I'm a little concerned that there could be a problem when I then sync both of them on my same PC/iTunes account?! :)

Being in the UK, I presume I need to call O2 and tell them I've done an "upgrade swap"?

Many thanks for your help

Fedorov.

I'm not sure or anything but I'd think syncing two iPhones with the same iTunes account would get really confusing.

BLACK MAC
Jun 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
Why would he have to contact AT&T to update the proper IMEI after he swap SIMs and are both activated? Why do they need to have an updated IMEI record?