Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirborneAngel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Earlier today whilst out shooting I accidentally bumped my Canon Rebel XS's kit 18-55mm lens into a metal pipe (while walking.) I bumped it pretty softly, and I may just be worrying myself silly, but is there any way I can ensure the lens is undamaged (apart from taking it to a repair person/dealer?)

The lens shoots perfectly clear photos, the zoom works, the AF works, and the image stabilization seems to work just fine. Everything seems normal, I just want to make sure it actually is.

Any ideas?

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
If it works okay then I'd leave it at that - there isn't likely to be anything wrong if there are no defects manifesting themselves now. Lenses like the 18-55 are generally not economical to repair and the labour required to strip it down would be prohibitively expensive unless you did it yourself. Even then, it is unlikely that anyone would be able to see any damage that wasn't obvious. If it stops working properly then your best option is likely to be to find a used one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Earlier today whilst out shooting I accidentally bumped my Canon Rebel XS's kit 18-55mm lens into a metal pipe (while walking.) I bumped it pretty softly......

If it works perfectly, then by definition it is not broken. There is no point taking it in for repair. The lens is so low priced that it could be replaced for less than repair cost. These show up all the time on the used market and you could pick one up for $60 when ever you want. This is why I'd not even bother with a filter. That lens is so cheap to replace. If this were an $1,800 lens then different story. Don't worry about an 18-55.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.