Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggeeC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
Welly welly welly welly welly well. What's the deal with all these updates? I've been perusing these boards and am reading about updates. Updates for OSX. Updates for security. Updates for your CD player, blah blah blah. What's the deal?

1. After I get my Mac, am I going to have to update the hell out of it everyday?

2. Is the version of OSX I get after MWNY going to be obsolete when the new one comes out?

3. Do I really need to update security and all that?

4. Is this only a Mac thing? I only say this because in the 10+ years of owning a PC, we've never updated anything except Windows (maybe we should have.....hmmm.....)

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
What are you saying?

You never updated anything except windows, the operating system.

Well, APPLE makes the OS and the APPs.

Just like M$ makes the OS.

If you had M$ word then you would have gotten the updates for it.

The M$ OS has had PLENTY of updates, the most important ones were put off to use as an additional projected cost down the road in the form of an additional cd version. Like PLUS OR SE.....

I think its great that APPLE stands behind its product and makes upgrades for the their stream of OS apps>

Dont worry , its a good thing!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You're right, there's no reason to ever upgrade Windows on a PC.

Just sit back and watch as a new virus consumes the data on you hard drive.

After all it's just another new patch in a long line of security patches.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
You're right, there's no reason to ever upgrade Windows on a PC.

hrmm.. you guys dont seem to know what yer really talking about....... http://windowsupdate.com/ . thats where you update windows... they have as many IF NOT MORE updates than apple has... (updates like apples has -- not updates like "Second Edition"....)

if youve never used windows update, and you have a mac, it essentially has a Java App on the site which reads several Log files which determine what updates you already have... when you dont have an update it will show you the updates that you dont have that are available... i find this process longer and much more annoying than apples.. they are, however, satrting to catch on because they have something integrated into Windows 2000 and XP that will have a small window popup when you need to upgrade...

also, apple doesnt update that often.. like 3 updates a week.. MAX..

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
windblows releases updates almost every day. Most of them are either 'critical' or security updates, kind of tells you how secure windblows is.

When you get your new Mac, it will be up to date with all the OS and firmware updates to the day it was built. As people report issues to Apple, they research it to see if there is something that needs to happen to either the hardware or software. If there is something that they need to do, they make the correct code changes/updates and release them. Very easy to download and install, and you don't have to worry about sloppy code like you get from m$.

At work, we get m$ update notifications just about every day for one product or another that we have. It's either something on the server side, or some ultra-critical/security update that needs to run. Know how many we get of that nature from Apple??? Zero. When we hit a Mac on someone's desk, we check with the software update control panel, and see what pops up. If it is something that is needed, we run the update (we don't promote the use of iPod's at work for security reasons, but we won't deny people them either).

In the end, you will 'need' to update your Mac a small fraction of times compared to what you would have to do with a pc. Leave it to m$ to keep sticking it to you, year after year.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Answer the guy's question...

Why don't you'll just answer the question instead of b!+ching him out?

If you'll would answer people's questions instead of telling them how stupid the questions, these boards would be a lot more useful. :cool:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Answer the guy's question...

Originally posted by FelixDerKater

If you'll would answer people's questions instead of telling them how stupid the questions, these boards would be a lot more useful.

Who the f*ck are you talking to???

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Win Update...

Just like with Windows, you don't HAVE TO install the updates. They are optional and you only download them because you want the added functionality they give. In MSIE, click on Tools and choose Windows Update and you'll see a list of everything MS tyhinks you should update on your PC. Also, click on the "+" sign next to the Security Updates and Critical Updates and you'll see a long list of updates you missed that are now combined into a huge single update. :cool: :rolleyes: :cool:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you don't like updates buy a BeBox or an Amiga, it's doubtful you'll be slapped silly with daily updates for those machines.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you don't do the windows updates, you leave yourself open to all kinds of hurt. The security updates are to patch the huge holes that windblows has... The critical updates are to patch the code f*ck-ups.

You also don't HAVE to run the OS X updates, but don't b*tch about issues that are fixed by them... :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Answer the guy's question...

Originally posted by FelixDerKater

If you'll would answer people's questions instead of telling them how stupid the questions, these boards would be a lot more useful. :cool:

OK

1. NO - You don't ever have to update

2. YES - but OS X version 10.0 is still available, and OS 9.2 is still rather spiffy. You might even be able to find them in the bargain bin soon.

3. NO - the hackers with thank you for it by fiddling with your bits.

4. YES - Sort of sucks that Apple is squashing OS bugs, while MS nurtures them and keeps them around for 10 years.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Those were really silly question..

No you dont have to update ever , just leave everthing like it is.!
Set your updates to manual and never do it, its that simple!

Jeez, you asking if computer stuff becomes obselete after new stuff comes out?
Thats a joke , right.. uhh NOW it will stay forever fresh and clean, just wash it with water and soap now and then.

Of course you dont Need to update security, this relates to question one, do I need to update DUH.. NO! do what ever you want, this isnt a WINBLOWS machine where you have to do or else!

By the Way I have used a windows machine for many years , I know all about the online updates etc~boring...

NEXT

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
well it's so easy to update Apple stuff so there's really no point not doing it...I've never done it on Windows so I wouldn't know what it's like but anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.