PDA

View Full Version : Monitor and/or Video Card prob!

fartheststar
May 20, 2004, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Running:
DP 1.25 GHZ Powermac (June 2003 rev)
1 Gig Ram
OS 10.2.8
ATI 9000 w/ 64 meg ram
19" Mitsubishi Diamondtron 930SB (CRT)

Over the past few days, when I boot, the monitor starts flashing from amber, to off, to amber to off, and won't turn on.

If I turn on the monitor first, it lights "green", then I boot and it lights amber, off, etc. If I turn on the computer first it lights amber / off right away.

The first few times, I powered down the monitor, waited 10 sec, and powered up, and it worked fine. Now I'm getting concerned. The problem is intermittent and only happens when you have left the computer off for a while.

I checked all the connections from the mac to the monitor, they're fine. I checked the plugs, they're fine (both devices into a powerbar that's been trusty for ever). I read the monitor manual and it says that if this happens call the 1-800 number (free support). I do have the computer beside the monitor, and the speakers close by. I don't know if that would irritate the monitor or not?

I don't have another monitor or computer to check the devices on, I may have to take this to a friend's house and test them there. I don't have applecare yet (but the comp is under a year old so if I have to call apple tech I will buy it).

Have any of you ever heard of this problem? From the description I gave, can you speculate on which one is the problem?

I've got an almost complete 20 minute short on the computer and don't want to have to send it in for service. (The FCP files are backed up but it would be a pain to have to restore my scratch disk with 70 gig of media).

Thanks.