PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple moving from high-end luxury to selling to the masse...

MacBytes
Jun 18, 2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Is Apple moving from high-end luxury to selling to the masses? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090618201359)
Description:: In an analysis for IT Management, Adrian Kingsley-Hughes ponders whether, with last week’s price cuts on laptops and an US$99 iPhone, Apple is changing its stance from “high-end luxury to selling to the masses?” The answer is both “yes” and “no.”

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

armoguy94
Jun 18, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, they are. And it seems as if they dont care about their pro users at all anymore, either. Apple is completely changing and moving in an entirely different direction now.

NinjaHERO
Jun 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think there has been a huge push to reach the mass market. But I wouldn't be shocked if apple started putting out some more high end products again.

Perhaps the line between state of the art and affordable is just much closer now. Just a thought.

LurchNC
Jun 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, they are. And it seems as if they dont care about their pro users at all anymore, either. Apple is completely changing and moving in an entirely different direction now.

What are they not doing for the Pro market exactly?

NT1440
Jun 18, 2009, 10:03 PM
When was a mac ever a "high end luxury" item? Its a computer that costs a few grand, I consider that expensive yes, but "high end luxury" to me says something like a jewel encrusted something or other or an obscenely expensive car.

They are pricey yes, but not anywhere near the level of being considered a luxury. Just my opinion.

NT1440
Jun 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
What are they not doing for the Pro market exactly?

What you didnt hear? Its 100% literally impossible to get any work done with a glossy screen, and a non removeable battery1?!?! Everyone knows "pro's" aren't ever within 7 hours of a power source.:p

tempusfugit
Jun 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
In this economy it takes a different kind of strategy to continue making money.

quit being elitists even the low end apple computers kick the crap out of the high end ones of yesteryear.

windywoo
Jun 19, 2009, 06:25 AM
They are pricey yes, but not anywhere near the level of being considered a luxury. Just my opinion.

As far as computer prices go Macs have a luxury price tag.

I don't see this as a move to supporting the masses. When they license OSX to run on netbooks that will be the day I no longer see Macs as more expensive than the average user should spend to meet their needs.

Tallest Skil
Jun 19, 2009, 06:33 AM
In this economy it takes a different kind of strategy to continue making money.

Record quarterly profits of over one billion dollars last quarter beg to differ.

As far as computer prices go Macs have a luxury price tag.

Subjective.

When they license OSX to run on netbooks that will be the day I no longer see Macs as more expensive than the average user should spend to meet their needs.

Guess you'll never see them as whatever you said there.

jake.f
Jun 19, 2009, 06:38 AM
They are now moving in the direction they should have moved in in the first place....affordable computers.

nissan.gtp
Jun 19, 2009, 06:42 AM
my thought is that the re-branding (and updates) to the 13" macbook pro is designed to make some room at the bottom of the product line.

I fully expect to see a plastic, black, matte-screen low-end MacBook quite soon

:runs:

:D

windywoo
Jun 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
The average user doesn't need half the crap that a Mac provides. They aren't going to see any benefit from spending the extra money on a Mac that costs more because its made out of one sheet of aluminium. They just want something that works, and PCs do that without too many bells and whistles.

Saladinos
Jun 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
Of course the answer is both yes and no - nobody wants to put their credibility on the line by saying either, because it's not clear Apple is changing their business model, because the changes meant nothing w.r.t business model.

We all know the white MacBook is going to leave us fairly soon. It's an old design and it's very close to the 13" MacBook Pro. Once it does, the MacBook brand will be empty. But of course, we know the MacBook brand isn't going anywhere - why would it? Besides, you need the MacBook to make the MBP more 'Pro'. I think Apple are going to introduce a netbook as the new MacBook.

Apple are great platform builders. They know the success of the product depends on the success of the platform which depends on the success of the product. By introducing a lower-end iPhone for a lower price, Apple can help the product become even more successful, which helps the platform grow, which helps the product grow long-term.

Similarly, introducing cheaper Macs has worked well for them - the Mini has been a success by anybody's account, and perception towards the Mac is not that nobody wants one - it's that people can't afford them. By introducing a very low-power, low-cost Mac, Apple can do the same thing to spur the Mac platform, which helps Mac products grow long-term.

macFanDave
Jun 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
They've got it backwards:

Apple is bring the masses to so-called <airquote>"high-end luxury"</airquote> (I triply surrounded that phrase with disclaimers that those are not my words!)

Every Apple hardware product is more expensive in upfront, out-of-pocket cost than competitive hardware. But when you start figuring in the value in terms of software, OS, ease-of-use, immunity from malware, quality, service and the secret weapon, the Mac community, Apple products are the big winners.

Getting more and more people to make that initial leap at first is what I mean by saying that Apple is bringing the masses to, er, that phrase mentioned above.

MisterMe
Jun 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
... They just want something that works, and PCs do that without too many bells and whistles.Clearly you have not seen my Dell's. They fell apart just sitting on a table.