PDA

View Full Version : Maybe OLED displays from Apple sooner than thought?

Rustus Maximus
May 20, 2004, 12:33 PM
Just thought this was an interesting bit of news from Epson...

Epson 40" OLED article here (http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=20600073)

...a 40" OLED display. I know it's a prototype, but the manufacturing process looks interesting and inexpensive (well inexpensive for an OLED anyway). Maybe this means we will be seeing smaller form Apple OLED displays sooner rather than later. :)

Laslo Panaflex
May 20, 2004, 12:51 PM
OLEDS don't last even as long as LCDs, and the blue color fades faster than the green and red. I think that they have made great advancements in OLED technology, but I still think it will be a while untill we see them in any consumer based products at a reasonable price.

Maybe see them in an Ipod display soon, but i doubt it. The only consumer display I've seen with OLED was my friends motorola startac mobile phone. It had green and orage display, and you couldn't see it in the daylight, which really sucked. These new OLEDs are brighter and shouldn't have that problem.

Don't get me wrong though, I would love to have an 30" OLED cinema display, but it would probably cost more than a house. :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2004, 01:32 PM
more likely on the iPods, but with the life expectancy on the displays you might need to replace the screen before the battery....

D

wide
May 20, 2004, 09:31 PM
OLEDs are the future. I want one in my next computer, even if it requires replacement every few months. I would get tons of battery life, great for planes etc. And when my screen starts deteriorating, I can just unroll a new one and pop it into the screen to replace the old one.