PDA

View Full Version : Green vertical line in LCD - powerbook g4

kamaaina63
May 20, 2004, 12:37 PM
A single pixel vertical line (bright green) just appeared on my laptop's lcd screen. (G4 Powerbook, 800 mhz, 2 years old). the line goes from top to bottom, and is about in the middle of the screen.
Has anyone encountered this? I don't have the apple protection plan.
How screwed am I?

Thanks for any help.
Adam

Jovian9
May 20, 2004, 12:56 PM
An orange/red one just appeared on my week old 17" 1.33GHz Alu PB. It is located about 1/4" from the right edge of the PB and extends from top to bottom. I too am curious if anyone else has this problem and what was done about it. I hate to send it in for repair d/t the fact that they just sent me this new unit after I waited a month for the logic board to be replaced on my 17" 1GHz Alu PB (it never was d/t short supplies....that is why they sent me the 1.33GHz PB instead). Anyone else?

skinEman23
May 20, 2004, 02:45 PM
I've had that same problem before on an old micron laptop before I sold it. At the time I could gently bend the screen slightly to make the problem go away, but some times it would come back and I would have to bend the sceen back again. I would grab the corner and push out, basically. It took care of the problem but I know if my new powerbook had this problem I would DEFINETLY take it back before it got worse. I would be VERY VERY careful bending the screen. Keep in mind my laptop was old and I didn't care. Both of yours are still somewhat new. So i'm not sure if bending would be a good idea, but you might give it a shot. But beware that it could damage your screen worse than it is. If your powerbook is still under warranty I would definetly not try bending. Just take it back. Otherwise, it's up to you.

kamaaina63
May 20, 2004, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure i want to be bending my lcd screen. Thanks for the idea though. If anyone has any info on how this might have happened, or any other ideas on how to fix it, please let us know. Thanks again.

jxyama
May 20, 2004, 04:09 PM
LCDs are active matrix, so it sounds like one of the lines controlling the transistor bias failed or is loose. if it's loose, then bending or adjusting around may make it connect again.

other than that, i am not sure if there's much that can be done except for screen replacement... :(

Waluigi
May 20, 2004, 04:56 PM
I have had a vertical green line on the 1/2 an inch from the left side of my 17" apple studio LCD for a few months now too. I have a 3 year apple care program for it that is still in effect. Can they fix it in my case?

ingenious
May 20, 2004, 09:27 PM
LCDs are active matrix, so it sounds like one of the lines controlling the transistor bias failed or is loose. if it's loose, then bending or adjusting around may make it connect again.

other than that, i am not sure if there's much that can be done except for screen replacement... :(

This sounds like a stuck pixel. He/She should try "massaging" the screen.

diamond geezer
May 20, 2004, 09:58 PM

"massaging" the screen wont fix the problem, and may merely create more.

jxyama
May 20, 2004, 10:16 PM

stuck pixel is for ind. pixel transistors malfunctioning. the problem o.p. described is the whole line. so it must be some sort of pixel addressing line being broken.

massaging isn't likely to restore the line connection...

Phatpat
May 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
I had the same problem with a line of pixels in my 2nd gen iPod. I took it to the Apple Store and got it replaced right there. With your powerbook and no Applecare, I'd say you're out of luck. That's more of a pain than a dead pixel by far...but hopefully it's still usable.

kamaaina63
May 21, 2004, 05:01 PM
my mac is definately still useable. but it kind of sucks that the line is in the middle of the screen. i've been checking out online, that there are companies that sell LCD screens for my G4 for about $200-300. and since i don't have the apple protection plan, i might be getting one of those. probably not for a while though. but thanks to everyone for their replys.

-adam