Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Earlier this evening, I took my iPhone (3G, 8gb) to my local Apple store. There was (a decent amount of) dust under the screen, and I wanted to see what they could do about it. The Apple Genius took my info, took a look at my phone, and used the scope to check for dust and/or water damage; he then told me they could just replace the screen and get it back to me in about 20 minutes. I thought this was a little odd, figuring it would be easier for them to just replace the phone with a refurb, but I said it was fine and waited for the repair.

In the meantime, I purchased a Speck Candy Shell case to protect my new screen and the rest of my phone.

I got the phone back, quickly put it in my jacket pocket (away from anything else so that the screen wouldn't get scratched) and brought it home. I used the utmost care when I cleaned my screen and applied my screen protector, and then I popped on the case.

*and the problems start:*

When I got a call from my girlfriend, I noticed that the screen didn't shut off when the phone was moved to my ear. I thought that maybe the proximity sensor didn't register, so I repeated the motion a couple times without any effect. GREAT! Apple broke my proximity sensor!

My girlfriend then gave me the idea of restarting and then restoring my phone from my backup (that I took before I left for the Apple store). Before this could happen though, my phone suddenly went to the Apple screen. I tried performing a reset but I was brought back to this screen. And that's the state my phone is in right now. When I try turning it on, it goes to the apple screen and then goes into a lit black screen. I've tried plugging it into my computer but it just cycles between these two states.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Should I just take it back to apple and request a new phone?

Also, is there a chance that the (perfectly clear) screen protector obstructed the proximity sensor?

FWIW: This is an 8GB iPhone 3G purchased in January 2009. Never jailbroken or modded, but updated to OS 3.0

tl;dr: Apple broke my phone instead of repairing it.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like they didn't connect the screen back up good. There are 3 ribbon cables that connect the screen to the main logic board. I would just take it back in there and explain the situation to them and they would fix it for you I'm sure.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Is there a reason why my phone is currently bricked...?

The lack of a proximity sensor I could deal with for a day or two, as I often use a bluetooth headset... But seeing as it's bricked, I don't have my iPhone to use, and with the 3Gs being released today (friday), I highly doubt the Genius bar will have time to deal with this

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Hmmm....

Ok, so I just unplugged the phone from my computer (after it had repeatedly cycled between the apple logo and the black screen) and it turned straight on and unbricked itself? Let's see if a restore works...

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well like I said before there are cables under the screen that connect it to the logic board. Technically if you want to, you could remove the two screws beside the dock connector, and then either get a suction cup and lift up the glass at the bottom of the screen near the home button or a flat piece of plastic and put it in between the screen and the silver bezel at the bottom of the screen and the screen will lift out and you could check the connections.

There are several detailed iphone disassembly guides for screen replacement on the internet if you want to take matters into your own hands. It's up to you really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.