PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek fans Rejoice!!

aethier
May 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hello fellow Mac geeks, and star trek geeks,

I am pleased to report that UPN is going to be keeping enterprise for a fourth season (it was uncertain for quite sometime whether or not it was continueing). I just don't know how they are going to top season 3 which has been quite amazing..

plot ideas?

aetheir

dethl
May 20, 2004, 03:55 PM
I think Enterprise is a sorry excuse for a Star Trek show in comparison to TNG and DS9 (heck even Voyager was better!). I wish UPN had renewed Andromeda for another season rather than Enterprise.

My $.02

Krizoitz
May 20, 2004, 04:06 PM
I think Enterprise is a sorry excuse for a Star Trek show in comparison to TNG and DS9 (heck even Voyager was better!). I wish UPN had renewed Andromeda for another season rather than Enterprise.

My $.02

TNG was good, but it lacked depth. DS9 had depth, but the plot started going south after the first few seasons, heck the finale was sad. Voyager started weak but finished strong.

Enterprise is something different, something new. People got upset because the theme song was a different style. I liked it because it showed that Enterprise wasn't just going to be more of the same.

FoxyKaye
May 20, 2004, 05:03 PM
I am pleased to report that UPN is going to be keeping Enterprise for a fourth season (it was uncertain for quite sometime whether or not it was continueing). I just don't know how they are going to top season 3 which has been quite amazing...

plot ideas?
aetheir

Oh, I've got an idea! How about Capt. Archer pounds down a few too many Saurian Brandies and flies the ol' NX-01 right into the sun? :D Seriously, I'd have a hard choice between watching every Priceline.com commercial William Shatner has ever made and watching another season of Enterprise. :eek:

My problem with the show is that it isn't groundbreaking - it actually needed to incorporate a plot from the 27th (or is it 29th, or 30th) century to keep it fresh. It's like watching Quantum Leap all over again in the Star Trek universe. I mean, can you imagine the UPN Boardroom?

Q: "Guys, Enterprise is dying, no-one is watching it! What do we do?"
A: "Well, that dude Backula seems to know a thing or two about time travel, let's see if we can work that in a little! Damn the Trekkies if nothing happening makes any sense with the Star Trek universe to date. I want TIME TRAVEL!"

I remember the rumor mills when the show was first being launched: UPN was considering a hyper-next generation type show: post-Cardassian War, sometime in the 25th or 26th century as the Federation is embarking on its first time-travel missions and the galaxy is divided between the Federation, the Borg, and the Dominion; extra-galactic travel is possible thanks to advanced transwarp technology; intrigue and mayhem abound as old galactic power-players seek extra-galactic alliances. That sounded so much more promising... :(

Brannon Braga needs to be drawn and quartered - it's the only way to make up for his complete butchering of Star Trek. :mad:

strider42
May 20, 2004, 05:37 PM
TNG was good, but it lacked depth. DS9 had depth, but the plot started going south after the first few seasons, heck the finale was sad. Voyager started weak but finished strong.

Enterprise is something different, something new. People got upset because the theme song was a different style. I liked it because it showed that Enterprise wasn't just going to be more of the same.

I thought the DS( story lines got a lot better, up until the last season. it dealt with politics, war and religion in a way none of the other treks have fleshed out so well. I like TNG, voyager wasn't great, but its got a few good episodes. it would have been a much better show if they didn't have so many characters figuring out "what it means to be human" first the doctor, then seven of 9, then the other borg kids, arguably kess was in that same vein. It really got to me.

Enterprise I really wanted to like. I love the casting, I just found the story lines to not be compelling so I stopped watching it.

Angelus
May 20, 2004, 06:22 PM
I must say that i really like enterprise. Granted the plot goes south at times but i feel that the brings a humanity to the star trek universe that is more familiar to this day and age. I love the theme song although i can't stand the season three version, it reminds me of felicity/party of five etc.
Overall, i love the setting. Mankind is venturing out into the unknown, i especially liked the episode which paralleled the early space race and breaking the sound barrier, Chuck Yager anyone?

aethier
May 20, 2004, 06:30 PM
TNG: was good, had good episodes etc.
DS9: slow at first, so they introduced the dominion, made it good and had episodes that actually continued a storyline. Though for every good episode it had, it was out numbered by crappy episodes that dealt with boring stuff on bajor.
VGR: ...was good until enterprise came out, and we realised that star trek could once again have episodes that went together. e.g.: a typical voyager episode has nothing to do with any other episode aside from the fact that at the end Janeway would give her log entry and conclude by saying they are going to the alpha quadrant. They would suffer loads of damage (they had to resort to shooting, for ratings, nobody cared about chakotays vision quest's etc.) then pull what i refer to as the "voyager style ending”..."so we have this interesting plot eh... hmm too bad like usual we only have like 3 minutes left of air time... lets see...um last week was a dream, the week before was a temporal anomaly, the week before the fake voyager from the daemon planet... so ... iniminiminimo.. Dream it is” following that queue the bridge crew and a crappy conversation, Harry bitching about never been promoted, and misses his parents, with a hint of chakotay sharing a bunch of his crappy rituals nobody cares about that his dad taught him. Multiply by 7 seasons et voilà. (There were some good episodes, but after seeing every single episode over 3 times, you start to notice how similar and plot less they are.)

Enterprise: expanded on the idea that ds9 got right, and subtracted the crappy episodes that nobody cared about. (Well that started more around season 2 but still) enterprise is good has the cool xindi plotline, with the cool episodes with Daniels, and time travelling; they have even been on the enterprise-j.

aethier

enterprise is highly underrated

invaLPsion
May 20, 2004, 06:35 PM
I LOVED Voyager!!!!

One of the best ST series...

aethier
May 20, 2004, 07:54 PM
I LOVED Voyager!!!!

One of the best ST series...

it was good, just extremely repetative

aethier

Dippo
May 20, 2004, 09:20 PM

You have it all wrong. TNG was just classic, DS9 really sucked the first few season, and didn't pick up until they threw in the multi-season arc of the Dominion. Voyager should have just taken the caretakers "ship" and went home during the first episode.

Enterprise has/had potential but relies way too much on time travel. There is lots that can done without having to time travel every episode! I do love the arc that was introduced with the Xindi, but I think it dragged out way too long. I also feel like the crew doesn't mesh that well, or maybe I have just been watching too much Stargate.

Powerbook G5
May 20, 2004, 11:03 PM
We don't get UPN here and Fox doesn't air it since we get the Fox station from Jacksonville and they get UPN so I haven't been able to see Enterprise. It's annoying because I am a big Trekkie and have been unable to watch a whole series because for some reason UPN has such a limited coverage. What happened to the good old days when Fox had Star Trek? It made it so much easier to watch it.

alxths
May 20, 2004, 11:09 PM
I'm going to have to give enterprise a second chance... it seemed so lame to me when i watched a few episodes in the first season, but most shows need some time to pick up, i guess.

bousozoku
May 20, 2004, 11:52 PM
I hope they have a plan for the new season. If they save Earth from destruction, they're going to need to do something else and their first plan wasn't really working too well.

I've been watching ST Voyager again. The first season started off okay, but somewhat unevenly. The second was much better. Kate Mulgrew wasn't the original selection for Captain Janeway but she's certainly a better choice.

TEG
May 21, 2004, 12:20 AM
Enterprise Rocks.... This one week to the season finale is driving me nuts.

As for Season 4, I'd like to see the TCW wrapped up a bit, perhapse leading to the Suliban leaving the Alpha Quadrant, or going extinct. I'd also like to see more andorians and vulcans fighting. I'd like for someting stupid to cause the Romulan wars, and have Archer be the force behind a Human/Andorian/Vulcan/Xindi Alliance to defeat the Romulans. Oh Snap! That will take at least 4 seasons... WooWho! 4 Seasons of storylines in one paragraph.

TEG

blueflame
May 21, 2004, 12:46 AM
1st: TNG
2nd: Votyager
3rd: Enterprise
Andreas

Savage Henry
May 21, 2004, 02:34 AM
... I ... must ... resist ... the ... urge .. to troll.....

... must ....

aargh .... I must be ... under .... some ... Vulcan mind map ..... or something...

:p

Chaszmyr
May 21, 2004, 03:11 AM
TNG was very good, Voyager was good, Enterprise sucks.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 21, 2004, 05:24 AM
GAWD!

I'm a big Enterprise fan. The characters bridge the gap between "us" and TOS.

I would love, however, to find out how the writers explain just WHY technology takes giant leaps BACKWARDS - where CRTs make a comeback in Kirk's era, leaving holograms and LCDs behind...

And what about the skivvies?!? Not too keen on the fashion of the future. They should've stuck to overalls.

Heh! ;)

floatingspirit
May 21, 2004, 06:13 AM
I still can't believe I lost all my "DATA" !!!!!!

:p :p :D :D ;) :D

DarkNovaMatter
May 21, 2004, 06:24 AM
TOS- Well, it all started here and had some verry good writing- so yeah I do like it.

TNG- Next gen of trek- slow first season but then picked up and created its own style. Some of the good writers continued over from TOS (more like guest writing)

DS9- One of my favorties (between DS9 and TNG)- Had a Babylon 5 style to it, multiple plots going through not just episode to episode, but season, and even the full series. Had the first 2 or 3 seasons be somewhat dry, but then picked up- deffinently had good writers (even thought it had a few episodes that added nothing to plot,etc.)

Voyager- Didn't really watch first few seasons- then started watching cause it seemed to pick up- liked the borg episodes, and others in the later seasons.

Enterprise- I watched the first 2 seasons- show had a lot of potential. 3rd season ended up going downhill for me- I agree with the other poster that the time war is used too much as something to keep the show going (too many other things that ae usd to keep the show going, or support it). I was really hoping this one would do well, even with the treknology problems (phase pistols 50 years before Pike? (Pike had laser pistols.....), ship design that looks like and Akira class vessel). Even Bermans' hiring of new writers for this season didn't really work out.
Braga was good (did some verry good TNG episodes, did a lot of Voyager episodes), but know I am not sure. If there is one thing that could help save Enterprise it would be D.C. Fontana- and if you don't know who she is (and are into trek heavily), you should really look up her episodes for TOS and her own sci-fi! Right now I am sort of wish we got to see the Federations first moves into time travel- oh well..........

Little Endian
May 21, 2004, 06:41 AM
Star Trek used to be great.... I was a very big fan indeed and have quite a bit of Memorabilia. I stoped watching Star Trek about 4-5 years ago. The Franchise just needs to die with diginity or they at least need a Decade long break. TNG was good, watched every episode and know each and every by heart. I liked DS9 as well though it did get off to a Rocky start. Voyager was palatable but that's about when I stopped keeping up with the Star Trek Universe. I have seen about a half dozen Episodes of Enterprise though and the biggest dissapointment is how it almost completely throws out every accepted Star Trek timeline fact that was previously established. Every Trek timeline, encyclopedia or Compendium made no Acknowledgement of a Previous Enterprise before Kirk's Enterprise. The technology also does not seem to fit the timeframe. I would have much more liked to have seen a Series on Enterprise B or C or perhaps something set farther ahead in the future from TNG. The acting in Enterprise is also about the worst I have seen and the it just is'nt star trek. The last Movies also was a very big dissapoinment.

hvfsl
May 21, 2004, 06:54 AM

My $.02

I cant stand Andromeda, none of the people seem to know how to act and the stories are generally borring.

As for Enterprise, I thought it was pretty borring in the beginning, but it has got a lot better since. So I am glad they have renewed it and hope it continues to get better.

Roger1
May 21, 2004, 11:25 AM
The last Movies also was a very big dissapoinment.

Ugh. I made the mistake of asking for Insurrection as a gift a few years ago. It was (is) awful.

Dont Hurt Me
May 21, 2004, 11:28 AM
i like Enterprise but Star Trek has them all, Spock, Bones, Kirk. phasers on stun! the newer shows all became squeeky clean , holier then thow and the essence of perfection. everyone was a saint. not at all real world. this equals boring. I like this thang Trip & the pretty vulcan got going on. ;)

agreenster
May 21, 2004, 03:22 PM
What's Star Trek?

Seriously, I watched The Next Generation religiously for about two weeks.

The origial Star Trek was before my time (born in 79) but I actually did watch the movies. Or, at least, one of them. The rest (DS9, Voyager, etc) just dont appeal to me. Too fake. I mean, there's that Q fella who is pratically God, and like previously mentioned, everything is super antiseptic and bland.

I guess I just dont get Star Trek, nor its appeal. I also think they came out with way too many versions.

And did I mention its fake?

bousozoku
May 21, 2004, 03:36 PM
And did I mention its fake?

Most of television is fake. If it isn't, it's (not its) on the Public Broadcasting System. If people wanted to be faced with reality, they'd walk outside. Many people want entertainment that takes them away from that.

agreenster
May 21, 2004, 03:38 PM
Okay okay okay...

But you know what I mean. It's so unbelievably fake, that it's not even fun sometimes. There has to SOME level of believability to make it fun.

bousozoku
May 21, 2004, 03:50 PM
Okay okay okay...

But you know what I mean. It's so unbelievably fake, that it's not even fun sometimes. There has to SOME level of believability to make it fun.

I suppose being able to believe it has to do with a person's belief system and their scientific background, etc. There are times when Star Trek touches on reality. Then again, I've seen movies that are huge successes despite being completely incredible. Ever see Mission: Impossible with Tom Cruise? :D :D

Dippo
May 21, 2004, 07:37 PM
Okay okay okay...

What are you talking about? If you don't like Star Trek, that's fine. No one said that you had to watch it.

Star Trek is fake? No, it can't be true! It's Science-FICTION, it's supposed to be fake.

Back on topic:
I just hope that Enterprise gets some better writers, and maybe some better producers or something. There is still a lot of potential, but they are wasting it all with terrible plots and uninteresting stories.

unfaded
May 21, 2004, 09:01 PM
Enterprise is not Star Trek. I refuse to believe it. Neither was Voyager.

Really, TNG was pretty hokey too. As was the original series. DS9 is a huge stand-out, from acting, writing, and comprehension for non-trekkie standpoints.

I can't watch the other ones anymore.

Doctor Q
May 21, 2004, 11:44 PM
I mean, there's that Q fella who is pratically God.Gawrsh, shucks. Thanks, agreenster.

voicegy
May 22, 2004, 01:03 AM
Gawrsh, shucks. Thanks, agreenster.

hahahaha! You pretentious arse! ;)

I've always loved the pompous and all-powerful "Q" character. Funny thing is, the San Diego Unified School District's Board president, to me at least, looks like "Q", and he even acts like him when I see the Board in action. (which is often, because there's a lot of politics, name calling and backhanded comments from this particular board...they're just about famous here in San Diego, and they're entertaining as all get-out)

voicegy
May 22, 2004, 01:16 AM
I detest Enterprise. Everything is dull metal. The acting matches the set. The captain's dog is the best thing about it. It bores me. Yet my best friend is fanatical about it. To each his own. I grew up on Classic Trek, and after the first bumpy season of TNG, I grew to adore it. Voyager had some superb moments. Didn't care about DS9. And every even numbered movie in the Trek series was good - the odd numbered ones, not so good. Strange.

[...] If there is one thing that could help save Enterprise it would be D.C. Fontana [...]

No kidding! God Bless D.C. and her invaluable contributions to Trek..You Go Girl. :)

Savage Henry
May 22, 2004, 03:15 AM
What are you talking about? If you don't like Star Trek, that's fine. No one said that you had to watch it.

Star Trek is fake? No, it can't be true! It's Science-FICTION, it's supposed to be fake.

Back on topic:
I just hope that Enterprise gets some better writers, and maybe some better producers or something. There is still a lot of potential, but they are wasting it all with terrible plots and uninteresting stories.

Your bit about the Science-FICTION is the well worn and tired argument that SF fans seem to spin out. My wife is a big Trekkie fan, and she even managed to drag me through the one UK convention we had here a couple of years back. But even she has admitted that, particularly with the recent efforts from the franchi$e, ie the convention, the films and especially enterprise, that it's not worth the effort anymore. Just because it's FICTION doesn't mean it doesn't have to be good.

I personally agree with you that it's failings are it's lack of production qualities. The writing and acting is dreadful and just makes me cringe, and the ideas are so thin they barely manage to keep my foot from kicking the TV set in.

One of my personal gripes is that you can always recognise a particular alien species because no matter where they are they always appear in a uniformed national dress. Which leads me to wonder whether if the English colonise a planet in the next few hundred years will they get everyone to walk around in Beefeater costumes.

Back to the topic, I personally can't see ST lasting two more years, films or television, unless something drastic is done to overhaul it.

DarkNovaMatter
May 22, 2004, 06:23 AM
Ah- D.C. Fontana, verry good writer. Oh for the trek watchers here- one saving thing about Enterprise- Mike Okuda has all the displays and a few other things run off a small squadron of G4 Cubes :D

Doctor Q
May 22, 2004, 11:30 AM
Enterprise will last another season (or two?), but the big question is whether there's any life in the old Star Trek legs for another new series, and, if so, what would it be about? My idea: a series based at Star Fleet Academy, where there could be lots of interesting training missions and behind the scenes goings-on among the humans and non-humans training there. They'd have to think of some reason to get into deeper space and fight real enemies, of course, but I'll leave that up to the show's writers.

Powerbook G5
May 22, 2004, 11:34 AM
No way, you just stole my idea, you son of a beech! I came up with a Starfleet Academy spinoff years ago when I was wondering if there would be life after Voyager ended.

wdlove
May 22, 2004, 11:36 AM
I watched the original "Star Trek" series on TV. Also saw a couple of the movies. Haven't really got interested in any of the shows or movies since.

Dippo
May 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
My idea: a series based at Star Fleet Academy, where there could be lots of interesting training missions and behind the scenes goings-on among the humans and non-humans training there. They'd have to think of some reason to get into deeper space and fight real enemies, of course, but I'll leave that up to the show's writers.

It could be the OC of the 24th century. :)

Honestly, there are so many other things in the Star Trek universe besides a ship called Enterprise. If the people in charge could just use a little imagination, then we could have some really great shows or even a mini-series that would rock.

LethalWolfe
May 22, 2004, 05:04 PM
i like Enterprise but Star Trek has them all, Spock, Bones, Kirk. phasers on stun! the newer shows all became squeeky clean , holier then thow and the essence of perfection. everyone was a saint. not at all real world. this equals boring. I like this thang Trip & the pretty vulcan got going on. ;)

That's one reason I like DS9 so much. It's significantly darker than any of the others. I rarely watch TNG reruns because it seem so cream-puff in comparison.

Lethal

LaMerVipere
May 22, 2004, 08:28 PM
I love love love Star Trek and have been a trekkie since i was old enough to speak!

But I hate hate HATE 'Enterprise'. It's a disgrace to the 'Star Trek' franchise. Its plots are poorly thought out, the stories are boring, the characters very dull. 'Voyager' was great, I hope they Voyager crew is in the next Star Trek movie as rumoured! :)

aethier
May 22, 2004, 09:29 PM
I love love love Star Trek and have been a trekkie since i was old enough to speak!

But I hate hate HATE 'Enterprise'. It's a disgrace to the 'Star Trek' franchise. Its plots are poorly thought out, the stories are boring, the characters very dull. 'Voyager' was great, I hope they Voyager crew is in the next Star Trek movie as rumoured! :)

I dunno, i don't really think a voyager movie would be that good (doubt there will even be one) there is simply nothing left to do. as for people who would want a movie following the series finalle when they arrive home and the end, well that was already done in the book, HomeComing, and Father's Shore. anyways i don't understand how people could dislike enterprise after the great season 3.

just can't wait until wednesday 8pm.

aethier