PDA

View Full Version : cheap way to replace dead eyehome unit?

mufngruf
Jun 19, 2009, 02:08 AM
OK, simply put, I had an eyehome device upstairs. It connected to a nearby wireless router by ethernet cable. the router picked up signals from downstairs imac either directly or through the sky router thingy that I use to get on the net.
The eyehome then connected to my tv via composite. It allowed me to watch the movies and videos that were stored on my downstairs imac and connected drives.
And last night it just died.. I unplugged it to move the tv to another part of the same TV stand and when I plugged the eyehome back in, it was dead - no red light, no response at all.
I would rather not have to get another computer in my bedroom just to replace this little aluminum box, which did just what I wanted when it was working.... but I don't seem to be able to find a replacement for the eyehome - which of course is no longer being manufactured anyway.
I suppose, in the absence of a replacement that fits my need for simplicity, if I DO have to get another computer, besides an ethernet connection and the outputs to composite adaptations, what will it need... will it have to be intel? have a certain amount of ram? certain speed prcessor?
I'm thinking maybe I could get a "spares or repair" unit of some type.
Any thoughts?