Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andr_w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Should I get an ibook? :confused:

I live in Texas and I am going to live in Germany for a year. In a tiny little german town where there probably wont be a lot of internet cafes. I need a fast, reliable internet connection to use there. I'd rather not assume the folks I'm boarding will want me to use their connection all the time. Plus, I want to travel with it. What should I do???? :eek:

thanks. :cool:

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Are you debating between a portable or a desktop? The internet speed depends on what type of ISp service you choose. Teh iBook will take a dial up service thru teh modem or a dsl/cable connection thru the ethernet. If you have the Airport Extreme card you will be able to pick up wireless interent conenctions...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Andr_w said:
Should I get an ibook? :confused:

I live in Texas and I am going to live in Germany for a year. In a tiny little german town where there probably wont be a lot of internet cafes. I need a fast, reliable internet connection to use there. I'd rather not assume the folks I'm boarding will want me to use their connection all the time. Plus, I want to travel with it. What should I do???? :eek:

thanks. :cool:

Why don't you look up the town you will be staying in and see if there are any cyber cafes or high-speed ISP companies that support your area.

You should try to research this--if the people you are boarding with have only one phone line and do not have a high-speed connection, I doubt you will be able to connect to the internet at all.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
An iBook would be great if you want to do some travelling - portability is good.

You are right though. There's unlikely to be many internet cafes and there probably won't be many (if any) wireless hotspots - in general Europe is way behind the US in this respect (certainly the UK!).

If you're staying with a family they are likely to have internet of some kind but it depends on how often you may be able to use it. You could always go a year without the internet - could be good for you!

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
grab an ibook with airport card, and a netgear wireless router.

share their signal wirelessly to yourself... that way you aren't "hogging" the internet access (except for bandwidth)

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I respectfully beg to differ, johnny. I found wireless in many more hotspots in the UK and the continent (especially France and Germany) by far than I did in the US (granted, perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough). Having said that, they were more expensive, but that's a matter of degree.

But given that andr_w seems to be going to a small German village, perhaps you're right - unlikely there'll be hotspots there, but still a good chance you'll find an internet cafe somewhere - you'll be surprised. Having said that, I agree with the ISP/dialup idea. You will love taking the iBook with you - I did the same with my Powerbook. Can't recommend it enough, really enhances the experience and is a source of information and storage that allows you to do much more than you would otherwise be able whilst travelling. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.